CARNIVORES vs VEGETARIANS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Mexicans, despite their low average income, have a very high per capita consumption of meat, as do several other Latin American countries. Argentina has a per capita meat consumption of nearly a pound a day. There is a lot of theorizing about the role of meat in causing cancer, for example comparing Japan's low mortality from prostate cancer, and their low meat consumption, with the high prostate cancer mortality in the US, which has a higher meat consumption. But Argentina and Mexico's prostate cancer mortality ranks very favorably with Japan's.

If meat consumption in the US contributes to the very high cancer rate, it clearly isn't the quantity of meat consumed, but rather the quality of the meat.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“So, apart from the question of exactly what molecules were responsible for the learning transfer produced by McConnell and Ungar, there should be no doubt that polyamines derived from food can enter tissues, especially the brain. People who eat meat from stressed animals are substantially replicating the experiments of McConnell and Ungar, except that people normally eat a variety of foods, and each type of food will have had slightly different experiences in its last days of life. But the deliberate aging of meat is subjecting it to a standardized stress--two or three weeks of cold storage. Because of the great generality of genetic processes, it wouldn't be surprising if cold storage of vegetables turned out to produce polyamine patterns similar to those of cold storage meats. Air pollution and other stressful growing conditions cause vegetables to have very high levels of polyamines.

Prolonged exposure to certain patterns of polyamines might produce particular syndromes, but the mere fact of increasing the total quantity of polyamines in our diet is likely to increase the incidence of stress-related diseases. Experiments with cells in culture show that added polyamines can produce a variety of extremely harmful changes, but so far, there has been almost no investigation of their specific regulatory functions, of their "code."

Besides rejecting stale foods produced under stressful conditions, there are probably some specific ways that we can protect ourselves from polyamine poisoning.

When the organism is functioning efficiently, its respiration is producing an abundance of carbon dioxide, which protectively modifies many systems and structures. Adequate carbon dioxide protects against fatigue, cellular and vascular leakiness, edema and swelling.

Increasing carbon dioxide will tend to direct ammonia into urea synthesis, and away from the formation of polyamines. Bicarbonate protects against many of the toxic effects of ammonia, and since carbon dioxide spontaneously reacts with amino groups, it probably helps to inactivate exogenous polyamines. This could account for some of the protective effects of carbon dioxide (or high altitude), for example its anti-seizure, anticancer, and antistress effects.

Other things that protect against excessive polyamines are procaine and other local anesthetics (Yuspa, et al., 1980), magnesium, niacin, vitamin A, aspirin, and, in some circumstances, caffeine. Since endotoxin stimulates the formation of polyamines, a diet that doesn't irritate the intestine is important. Tryptophan and methionine contribute to the formation of polyamines, so gelatin, which lacks those amino acids and is soothing to the intestine, should be a regular part of the diet.

Because the polyamines intensity the neurotoxic and carcinogenic effects of estrogen and of polyunsaturated fats, those three types of substance should be considered as a functional unit in making food choices. (Grass-fed organic beef fresh from a local farm would be a reasonable choice.) Unfortunately, the meat industry has maximized all of those dangers, just for the increased weight of their product.” -Ray Peat

Z

Zsazsa

The Role of the Anabolic Properties of Plant- versus Animal-Based Protein Sources in Supporting Muscle Mass Maintenance: A Critical Review
Free PMC article
Abstract
Plant-sourced proteins offer environmental and health benefits, and research increasingly includes them in study formulas. However, plant-based proteins have less of an anabolic effect than animal proteins due to their lower digestibility, lower essential amino acid content (especially leucine), and deficiency in other essential amino acids, such as sulfur amino acids or lysine. Thus, plant amino acids are directed toward oxidation rather than used for muscle protein synthesis. In this review, we evaluate the ability of plant- versus animal-based proteins to help maintain skeletal muscle mass in healthy and especially older people and examine different nutritional strategies for improving the anabolic properties of plant-based proteins. Among these strategies, increasing protein intake has led to a positive acute postprandial muscle protein synthesis response and even positive long-term improvement in lean mass. Increasing the quality of protein intake by improving amino acid composition could also compensate for the lower anabolic potential of plant-based proteins. We evaluated and discussed four nutritional strategies for improving the amino acid composition of plant-based proteins: fortifying plant-based proteins with specific essential amino acids, selective breeding, blending several plant protein sources, and blending plant with animal-based protein sources. These nutritional approaches need to be profoundly examined in older individuals in order to optimize protein intake for this population who require a high-quality food protein intake to mitigate age-related muscle loss.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Unfortunately I haven't found this video on twitter, only IG:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChJK_9UF0Rt/

I wouldn’t go so far as to say veganism is a scam, but it isn’t healthy for sure. I have a friend who went vegan 6 or so years ago and his personality changed. He deals with suicidal type depression and is so much more serious than the lighthearted person that loved to eat and cook as a meat eater. Of the two vegetarians I knew, one recently gave it up because she said she was bloated and tired all the time. She has no muscle tone either. She marvels we are the same age and I do have great muscle tone, and haven’t been to the gym in 30 years and I have tons of energy too, so she reluctantly added in lots of sugar and chocolate and says she feels so much better now. She gave up being a vegetarian. My son was vegetarian for a little over 4 years and his health declined. He is 6 foot tall and was under a 140 pounds. He had to quit because his kidneys were hurting from too many oxalates. He shouldn’t have quit abruptly either because the oxalate dumping was life-threatening scary.

I wish meat wasn’t necessary, because I don’t like the idea of it. I even tried being a vegetarian, to bond with my son, and though I loved all the grains and beans I got to eat, I acquired so much cellulite in a very short time.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Experimental evidence shows that polyunsaturated (omega-3) fats retard fetal brain development, and that sugar promotes it. These facts argue against some of the currently popular ideas of the evolution of the human brain based on ancestral diets of fish or meat, which only matters as far as those anthropological theories are used to argue against fruits and other sugars in the present diet.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Living at high altitude, which strengthens bones, increases thyroid activity and decreases prolactin (Richalet, et al., 2010) and parathyroid hormone (Khan, et al., 1996). It lowers free fatty acids, which lower bone mass by reducing bone formation and increasing bone resorption (Chen, et al., 2010). In menopausal women, polyunsaturated fatty acids and even monounsaturated fats are associated with bone loss, fruit and vegetable consumption protects against bone loss (Macdonald, et al., 2004).” -Ray Peat

lvysaur

Mexicans, despite their low average income, have a very high per capita consumption of meat, as do several other Latin American countries. Argentina has a per capita meat consumption of nearly a pound a day.
Mexico doesn't eat nearly as much meat as the US. They eat less than Europe, which in turn eats less than the US.
https://vividmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/meat-consumption-world-map.png

Argentina however does, and if you look specifically only at beef, it still matches up with the US. And has a lower prostate cancer rate.
https://media.springernature.com/full/springer-static/image/art:10.1038/s41416-021-01669-3/MediaObjects/41416_2021_1669_Fig1_HTML.png

This doesn't mean that overconsumption of meat ISN'T a cause, because Argentinians are still a different population from European-Americans. It could be the case that the 1/3 Native American ancestry in Argentinians gives them a higher "ancestral" meat consumption than modern Europeans.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Mexico doesn't eat nearly as much meat as the US. They eat less than Europe, which in turn eats less than the US.
https://vividmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/meat-consumption-world-map.png

Argentina however does, and if you look specifically only at beef, it still matches up with the US. And has a lower prostate cancer rate.
https://media.springernature.com/full/springer-static/image/art:10.1038/s41416-021-01669-3/MediaObjects/41416_2021_1669_Fig1_HTML.png

This doesn't mean that overconsumption of meat ISN'T a cause, because Argentinians are still a different population from European-Americans. It could be the case that the 1/3 Native American ancestry in Argentinians gives them a higher "ancestral" meat consumption than modern Europeans.
I don’t think meat in itself causes prostate cancer. Lifestyle and a balanced diet is more to the cause. America’s fast food addictions, bad oils, rampant prescription drugs use and lack of sun is gonna perpetuate cancers.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The only amino acid that has ever been found to be carcinogenic is tryptophan. Its ability to mimic estrogen in promoting the release of prolactin is probably responsible.

A large carbohydrate meal increases the ratio of tryptophan to the competing amino acids, and it has been proposed that this can shift the body’s balance toward increased serotonin. In an animal study, bromocriptine, which shifts the balance away from serotonin, reduced obesity and insulin and free fatty acids, and improved glucose tolerance.“ Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Adequate calcium intake is vital for our bone health and, alongside support nutrients, a sufficient intake may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.

Dairy sources of calcium are also far more bioavailable than (most) vegetable sources of the mineral.

For instance, calcium from cheese has an absorption rate of approximately 30 – 35%.

In contrast, the plant foods highest in calcium, such as spinach and rhubarb, have an absorption rate of less than 10%.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many antioxidant nutrients act like a thyroid supplement did in the 1934 rabbit experiments, preventing atherosclerosis even when extra toxic cholesterol is given to the animals. People who eat seafood get much more selenium in their diet than people who eat nothing from the sea, and selenium is one of the extremely protective nutrients that prevent atherosclerosis in animal experiments with excess cholesterol.” -Ray Peat

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is a pretty good video for the carnivore side of the argument. Of course he’s not right about everything but no one is. I do appreciate that he seems sincere and not flashy or phony.

View: https://youtu.be/C-WUb3mJEso

Jackson Chung

Although my name doesn't say so I am Indian.

My family has been vegetarians for hundreds of years.

Just anectododal but my 3/4 of my grandparents lived to be 85+ years old without modern medicine or anything. A lot of our friends and relatives also say the same thing about their grandparents. My aunt's mother is over 100 years old.

In my caste we owned land so i admit they all ate very fresh food and fresh milk.

My aunts and uncles are also all very healthy (that I know of) and most are 60+ years old. No cancer, surgery, etc...though there is some diabetes and heart problems (due to PUFA no doubt).

I grew up in America, have been vegetarian all my life without issues. I do drink lots of milk and drink orange juice.

I think the key is to avoid undercooked food. I don't eat fish either and eggs are very rare (in ice cream only for example).

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My father has dementia. In 2019 he came to me barely able to walk and didn’t remember his granddaughter or his ex-wife, he was was almost on death’s door. I knew nothing about his condition. Remarkably him staying with me, so I could desperately save him, he got better within a couple of weeks. During those months I noticed right away that he would regress when we would go out to a restaurant and he would eat his favorite fish tacos. He would get silent after eating, wouldn’t converse like he did before the meal and wanted to go home and sleep. It would take a good 36+ hours to get back to normal again, with just one meal of starches.

I kept him for 3 months and he lost 27 pounds and went back to his life, singing karaoke with his friends. I gave him and girlfriend strict instructions to keep him away from grains, but after one splurge he couldn’t remember the instructions anymore and she was too lazy and cheap to care to to feed him properly.

In that 2019 struggle with his health, those that didn’t live in my household with him could not believe that his memory loss was from grains, because every time he left my house to go back to his life he would stop and get his precious fish tacos, and would have all the symptoms of dementia by the time he got there, an hour later, and then he would sleep his days away. I would then get him back and do it all over again. So I am glad to finally see this documentary validating what I have been saying since 2019, Alzheimer’s patients need to stay away from grains period, and those that don’t want Alzheimer’s beware……

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My father has dementia. In 2019 he came to me barely able to walk and didn’t remember his granddaughter or his ex-wife, he was was almost on death’s door. I knew nothing about his condition. Remarkably him staying with me, so I could desperately save him, he got better within a couple of weeks. During those months I noticed right away that he would regress when we would go out to a restaurant and he would eat his favorite fish tacos. He would get silent after eating, wouldn’t converse like he did before the meal and wanted to go home and sleep. It would take a good 36+ hours to get back to normal again, with just one meal of starches.

I kept him for 3 months and he lost 27 pounds and went back to his life, singing karaoke with his friends. I gave him and girlfriend strict instructions to keep him away from grains, but after one splurge he couldn’t remember the instructions anymore and she was too lazy and cheap to care to to feed him properly.

In that 2019 struggle with his health, those that didn’t live in my household with him could not believe that his memory loss was from grains, because every time he left my house to go back to his life he would stop and get his precious fish tacos, and would have all the symptoms of dementia by the time he got there, an hour later, and then he would sleep his days away. I would then get him back and do it all over again. So I am glad to finally see this documentary validating what I have been saying since 2019, Alzheimer’s patients need to stay away from grains period, and those that don’t want Alzheimer’s beware……

That’s an amazing story. It’s too bad so many people are resistant to fine tuning their eating habits for better health.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That’s an amazing story. It’s too bad so many people are resistant to fine tuning their eating habits for better health.
I know, like the guy said in the documentary, with Alzheimer’s it comes down to the choices you make at the checkout stand. Once they go into their “food coma” they then just start mindlessly eating. My dad’s 100 pound girlfriend tells me that he comes back from the dollar store with large packages of danishes and bagels and he will eat them all day long, and then there goes the rest of his health. I have her throw them away while he is sleeping, and so he goes out that same day looking for more. The grains are an addiction for him, it is bizarre to watch.

Dutchie

I know, like the guy said in the documentary, with Alzheimer’s it comes down to the choices you make at the checkout stand. Once they go into their “food coma” they then just start mindlessly eating. My dad’s 100 pound girlfriend tells me that he comes back from the dollar store with large packages of danishes and bagels and he will eat them all day long, and then there goes the rest of his health. I have her throw them away while he is sleeping, and so he goes out that same day looking for more. The grains are an addiction for him, it is bizarre to watch.
Gluten exorphins have an opioid effect.

MarcelZD

This is terrifying. Did all grains have that effect, even white rice?

I can definitely echo the sentiment that wheat can be extremely addictive to some. I found it very difficult to give up and my cravings haven't subsided even after years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals