"Carnivore MD" Jumping On The "Carbs Aren't The Issue" Bandwagon

julcreutz

I find this so hilarious. These carnivores are finally getting the point, that carbs are essential. All of them say the feel better when including carbs. (Me too, btw)

Now Saladino says PUFA causes heart disease, not Carbs, thus going against the low-carb/keto community dogma.

magnesiumania

I feel better when i take drugs too, tgat does not mean they are healthy in the long run.

magnesiumania

They are not essential as in necessary fir survival, we can make sugar via gluconeogenesis. I dont take any potition on wether they are beneficial.

Luann

But to make enough carbs via lots of protein ... would that not create a lot of ammonia in the body? That's just my hunch

OP
J

julcreutz

They are not essential as in necessary fir survival, we can make sugar via gluconeogenesis. I dont take any potition on wether they are beneficial.

Yeah, not "essential" by definition. But saturated fats aren't "essential" by that definition too. They can be synthesized by gut bacteria in the process of fermentation. So your argument is BS.

magnesiumania

You can make glucose from more tgan just amino acids. I dont think ammonia is a hugh problem unless your ability to clear it is compromised.

magnesiumania

Yeah, not "essential" by definition. But saturated fats aren't "essential" by that definition too. They can be synthesized by gut bacteria in the process of fermentation. So your argument is BS.
Its not even an argument. The idea is that fats are bettet fuel and less harmful (sugar can proteintially glycate molecules etc). Now tgats an argument. But its not mine. Its simply what a carnivore would argue.

OP
J

julcreutz

Its not even an argument. The idea is that fats are bettet fuel and less harmful (sugar can proteintially glycate molecules etc). Now tgats an argument. But its not mine. Its simply what a carnivore would argue.

In my experience, fat is far inferior fuel than sugar.

magnesiumania

We make fats too, so we shouldnt eat them as well?
All i said was thet are not essential for survival. But if you ate neither you would be very energy deficient. How hard is it to grasp? You put your own logic in my mouth.

OP
J

julcreutz

Again, lets use the drug analogy. Amphetamine feels like a superior fuel to me, that means i should run on speed.

I don't consume refined sugar. I meant carbs in general, sorry. It's not like fat-based was "kind of okay" for me.. I literally couldn't cycle to university without getting exhausted.

magnesiumania

Im being an **** on purpose but im not convinced that you cant adapt to low carb without cortisol spiking.

boris

@magnesiumania

Gluconeogenesis
“7.3
Energy balance of gluconeogenesis
Reaction ATP/GTP input
2 pyruvate → 2 oxaloacetate 2
2 oxaloacetate → 2 PEP 2
2 3-Ⓟ-glycerate → 2 1,3-bis-Ⓟ-glycerate 2
Total 6
Gluconeogenesis requires an input of six equivalents of ATP or GTP for each molecule of glucose. In glycolysis, there was a net gain of only two molecules of ATP per molecule of glucose. The expenditure of an extra four equivalents of ATP in gluconeogenesis reverts the energy balance of the pathway, so that it actually proceeds in the opposite direction.”

You actually lose 4 ATP through gluconeogenesis, this should be a hint. It’s an emergency mechanism to keep you alive, not good to run on this.

Last edited:

magnesiumania

Im not convinced of either Peats diet ir a carnivores. Many carnivores seem to do good and my main impression from this forum is that people in here dont do so well. Making sugar consumes ATP is a worthless clue to me without more context. Btw if you cant keep blood sugar up without consuming carbohydrates id say its appropriate to call that an addiction. If your saying high cortisol is needed to stimulate gluconeogenesis what youre sayobg makes some sense but again youre just a guy who said to to me. Id appreciate if you could direct me to any data i could take a look on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals