Cardamom Could Be Great For The Gut

Hans

Forum Supporter
From this study:

Dose effects of the food spice cardamom on aspects of hamster gut physiology. - PubMed - NCBI
The administration of cardamom extract (0.5 and 1.5 g/100 g diet) effectively (p < 0.05) shortened hamster gastrointestinal transit time by approximately 58%, increased fecal moisture contents (148-174%), increased SCFA concentrations in hindgut (4.0- to 7.8-fold), decreased the activities of beta-D-glucuronidase (by 71.4-85.7%), beta-D-glucosidase (by 24.3-51.5%), mucinase (by 63.6-72.7%), and urease (by 88.8-90.4%) in feces, and reduced the production of toxic ammonia (by 16.1-64.5%).

According to the study, it should translate to about 1tsp daily of the spice.
Has anyone used it before with success, either the spice or the essential oil?

somuch4food

I'm interested in trying, apparently it goes well with milk. I will have to buy some.

I tried using matcha in milk. It did help move things along, but I crashed hard on it. I think it could be due to caffeine, carotenoids or polyphenols.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm interested in trying, apparently it goes well with milk. I will have to buy some.

I tried using matcha in milk. It did help move things along, but I crashed hard on it. I think it could be due to caffeine, carotenoids or polyphenols.
Spice is interesting and potentially beneficial, but we know so little of it.

Garam masala is a winner spice mix.

ilhanxx

Spice is interesting and potentially beneficial, but we know so little of it.
I use it long time, cardamom has chewable small particle in it, you can chew it or add in your instant coffee, it has laxative effect, But It's effect temporary. As I remember, starbox has a few menu.

HumanLife

I made cardamon pies 3 years ago. They tasted amazing and my family loved them. They didn't know what the flavor was, and when I told them, they told me they never heard of the flavor before. No matter the benefits, it tastes really good...

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I made cardamon pies 3 years ago. They tasted amazing and my family loved them. They didn't know what the flavor was, and when I told them, they told me they never heard of the flavor before. No matter the benefits, it tastes really good...
Sweet man, sounds delicious. Did you notice benefits from it?

yerrag

I should go back to making Chai. Uses a lot of spices. Cardamom, cinnamon bark (not the Ceylon type, though I should look for one) clove bud, ginger, allspice, and one more spice I can't remember the name of. I use orange pekoe tea for best Chai. Then lotsa milk. And peaty too.

Come to think of it, it's very antibacterial. The tea is a biofilm buster.

Amazoniac

Interesting outcornes, thanks. It was the medium and high doses that worked:

"Thirty-two male Golden Syrian hamsters (6 wk old) weighing 105 ± 2.0 g were obtained from the National Laboratory Animal Center of Taiwan."

"For pharmaceutical and intestinal health maintenance purposes of an adult (~60 kg), the traditional practice of Chinese medicine practitioners in using cardamom may be up to ~40 g of dried fruit (i. e., less than 4 g of extract). The dried extract intake per day by hamsters was then estimated to be ~40 mg/day using a conversion factor of 0.01 between human and hamsters. As food intake of hamsters was about 8 g/day, the cardamom-containing diets were prepared by adding different amount of dried extract (i. e. 170, 500, and 1500 mg extract/100 g diet) into the basal formula. Three test diets, namely low dose, medium dose, and high dose diets were then prepared by mixing 0.17, 0.5, and 1.5 g of the dried extract into 100 g of the basal formula, respectively."​

@ecstatichamster, can we rely on the conversion?

HumanLife

Sweet man, sounds delicious. Did you notice benefits from it?

It tasted delicious, so everyone who took it felt pretty happy and satisfied taking it. They all made the “HmMMmm...” sound after the first bite. Whether because of the taste, or good things happening inside, I don’t know, but it improved their mood, so that must be worth something.

For me, when I made the pie and ate it... my first thought was to make pies for my family so everyone can enjoy it.

yerrag

Interesting.

I have to check though if there are other microbes that would benefit from increased pH. I thought I read somewhere that some bacteria have enzymes that modify the pH of the surroundings to 8, as this alkaline environment favor the growth of. that bacteria. Have to look that up and share.

Meanwhile, the increase in pH in this study did not involve pH going all the way up to 8. So I'm not going to be critical of this study.

Dave Clark

In ayurveda they say that cardamon is suppose to ease the stimulating effects of caffeine. So, does that mean that it takes away caffeine's benefits, who knows? I grind fresh cardamon, nutmeg, and sprinkle some clove and ceylon cinnamon over whipped milk that I put over my coffee, more so as a treat, but it is delicious and I like that the spices have nutritive benefits.

My mom makes rice pudding with milk, sugar, raisins and cardamom in it, it’s really good out of the fridge with honey on top.

jzeno

Commenting to save this for later.

Personally have not experimented with cardamon yet but will grab some at the store next time.

Thanks for sharing Hans.

nigma

Thanks for posting this. I bought some dried powder and have been adding to meals and it's helping my dysbiosis I think. I also started using curry powder (coriander, turmeric, etc.) for savory meals. The difference of adding either spice to all my meals has been dramatic, bowels are definitely more consistent and regular.

Mauritio

Has anybody had effects from cardamonextract ? I am trying 90 mg per day at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom