Carbs, Fats, Energy And Heat

Amazoniac

I've been wondering about the following:
When the temperature goes down, we tend to seek heavier foods, fattier. However, if carbs are so much more efficient at generating energy and heat, why wouldn't we just seek more carbs? Is it just a matter of instinct?
On the other hand, when people are freezing in extremely cold weather, the first thing to give them is some alcohol..

Makrosky

Amazoniac said:
post 104369 I've been wondering about the following:
When the temperature goes down, we tend to seek heavier foods, fattier. However, if carbs are so much more efficient at generating energy and heat, why wouldn't we just seek more carbs? Is it just a matter of instinct?
On the other hand, when people are freezing in extremely cold weather, the first thing to give them is some alcohol..

LOL. Very clever question.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Personally, I don't think I want more fat in winter than summer - I've always been mystified by people only wanting roasts in winter, and salads and fruit in summer.

Uninformed speculations about subconscious motivations:
Maybe craving higher calorie density to sustain greater energy demands in winter?
Not wanting to run out of glycogen at night, when more energy is required to keep warm?
Or adapting to having slightly lower body temp in winter, because it's too energy expensive to maintain proper body heat?
Or it's hard to eat enough carbs, with high enough carb/calorie density, without also eating more fat? Especially since we may be sweating less?

When I heard a lectures on mountain safety and hypothermia many years ago, we were advised not to supply alcohol. It can dilate blood vessels quickly, make someone feel a bit warmer in the short term, but risk greater heat loss and worsen survival odds. I have not done anything to confirm that explanation. Could be that the dose is relevant. I imagine that a dose of honey might be useful in that situation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals