Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor and acetatazolamide side effects

Dr. B

Acetazolamide one of the potential side effects is Stevens–Johnson syndrome - Wikipedia

Im wondering what causes that affect that disease looks absolutely horrific... like it's well beyond even moles or acne at that point...

Also wondering the wikipedia articles mention pomegranate and their compounds.

is it worth getting pomegranate extract seeds or encapsulated products.
whats the dosage needed for pomegranates to replicate something like acetazolamide or high dose vitamin b1.

can the vitamin B1 cause imbalances over time... how powerful are the pomegranates, whole fruits, or fruit juices, or extracts
i think there is organic pomegranate juice avaialble but its the lakewood or rw knudsen shelf stable brand. no added ingredients, but its in a glass sealed bottle and doesn't expire for 2 years which makes me wonder how can it last so long it's maybe extremely pasteurized and heated to not even need refrigeration for years?

@Lokzo @haidut @Hans

mostlylurking

Acetazolamide one of the potential side effects is Stevens–Johnson syndrome - Wikipedia

Im wondering what causes that affect that disease looks absolutely horrific... like it's well beyond even moles or acne at that point...

whats the dosage needed for pomegranates to replicate something like acetazolamide or high dose vitamin b1.

can the vitamin B1 cause imbalances over time... how powerful are the pomegranates, whole fruits, or fruit juices, or extracts
i think there is organic pomegranate juice avaialble but its the lakewood or rw knudsen shelf stable brand. no added ingredients, but its in a glass sealed bottle and doesn't expire for 2 years which makes me wonder how can it last so long it's maybe extremely pasteurized and heated to not even need refrigeration for years?

@Lokzo @haidut @Hans
Why do you include vitamin B1, even high dose vitamin B1 with this group?

A quick search for the malady, Stevens–Johnson syndrome , and Thiamine reveal that thiamine is included in the treatment for the syndrome.

Last edited:
Thiamine is a safer carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Loading doses of 1500mg daily or so for a few weeks, then smaller amounts work very well and are safe.

OP
D

Dr. B

Why do you include vitamin B1, even high dose vitamin B1 with this group?

A quick search for the malady, Stevens–Johnson syndrome , and Thiamine reveal that thiamine is included in the treatment for the syndrome.
i was wondering in general, any effects from high dose B1. just cuz thiamine and pomegranate are also inhibitors

Thiamine is a safer carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Loading doses of 1500mg daily or so for a few weeks, then smaller amounts work very well and are safe.
do you think imbalance could result with other b vitamins or minerals
also there are some pomegranate extract supplements, and pomegranate seed extract supplements available, are these worth trying, apparently pomegranate is a very powerful inhibitor too

mostlylurking

i was wondering in general, any effects from high dose B1. just cuz thiamine and pomegranate are also inhibitors
Thiamine is more than a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.

"1. Thiamine activates pyruvate dehydrogenase and inhibits pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase. This optimizes glucose metabolism into CO2.

2. Thiamine inhibits carbonic anhydrase about as effectively as acetazolamide, which means that not only it stimulates CO2 production but it also inhibits its degradation. I don't know of another drug that does both of these things."

from here: Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

do you think imbalance could result with other b vitamins or minerals
also there are some pomegranate extract supplements, and pomegranate seed extract supplements available, are these worth trying, apparently pomegranate is a very powerful inhibitor too
Vitamin/mineral imbalances can happen when taking high dose thiamine. Taking a good b-complex and also some magnesium is a good idea, along with drinking a glass of orange juice each day for the potassium.

Beastmode

@Lokzo @haidut @Hans

How is acetazolamide linked to this syndrome? I didn't see anything on that wikipedia link you shared..

I ask as it's something I experiment with.

OP
D

Dr. B

Thiamine is more than a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.

"1. Thiamine activates pyruvate dehydrogenase and inhibits pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase. This optimizes glucose metabolism into CO2.

2. Thiamine inhibits carbonic anhydrase about as effectively as acetazolamide, which means that not only it stimulates CO2 production but it also inhibits its degradation. I don't know of another drug that does both of these things."

from here: Thiamine Is A Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor As Effective As Acetazolamide

Vitamin/mineral imbalances can happen when taking high dose thiamine. Taking a good b-complex and also some magnesium is a good idea, along with drinking a glass of orange juice each day for the potassium.
mate whats the, dose of thiamine is 20mg every other day good enough...

dont all b vitamins interact with each other, or, if you take a megadose of each of them, the body takes what it needs and excretes the rest?

How is acetazolamide linked to this syndrome? I didn't see anything on that wikipedia link you shared..

I ask as it's something I experiment with.

how did you get it , isnt it prescription only? i was thinking of trying. what have you noticed thus far

the article itself Acetazolamide - Wikipedia

"Common adverse effects of acetazolamide include the following: paraesthesia, fatigue, drowsiness, depression, decreased libido, bitter or metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, black feces, polyuria, kidney stones, metabolic acidosis and electrolyte changes (hypokalemia, hyponatremia).[7] Whereas less common adverse effects include Stevens–Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis and blood dyscrasias"

that disease looks scary man, i dont know whats the mechanism behind why some people get it?

Of course when you take a lot of a particular B vitamin, you do want to take all the other B vitamins. I don’t think there’s a danger in taking 500mg - 1000 mg a day of this one for a long time, providing you get enough of the other B vitamins.

I have used thiamine successfully when I went to high altitude and had no trouble at all because I had loaded with thiamine.

mostlylurking

dont all b vitamins interact with each other, or, if you take a megadose of each of them, the body takes what it needs and excretes the rest?
20mg of thiamine every other day would not help me. I don't understand the idea of taking it every other day. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl, 2 grams/day and have been taking this dose for 7 months. If I miss a dose, I can tell that I am negatively affected by the oversight.

I have read that it is not necessary to high dose the other b vitamins when high dosing thiamine. Simply taking a b-complex pill daily is sufficient.

I think you would find Elliott Overton's informative videos about thiamine helpful: https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

In addition, Dr. Costantini's published studies are very informative: Published Study Articles

also, the thiamine articles posted on HormonesMatter.com are very informative: You searched for thiamine - Hormones Matter

I think that relying on Wikipedia for health information is iffy at best.

"Common adverse effects of acetazolamide include the following: paraesthesia, fatigue, drowsiness, depression, decreased libido, bitter or metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, black feces, polyuria, kidney stones, metabolic acidosis and electrolyte changes (hypokalemia, hyponatremia).[7] Whereas less common adverse effects include Stevens–Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis and blood dyscrasias"

that disease looks scary man, i dont know whats the mechanism behind why some people get it?
Apparently, there are more possible side effects from acetazolomide than there are from thiamine hcl. I've been intensely studying about thiamine for over 9 months; I have never read about it on Wikipedia and I have never heard of Stevens-Johnson syndrome before. Yes, that disease looks scary, but so does leprosy. I don't see the point of focusing on it.

OP
D

Dr. B

20mg of thiamine every other day would not help me. I don't understand the idea of taking it every other day. I'm taking high dose thiamine hcl, 2 grams/day and have been taking this dose for 7 months. If I miss a dose, I can tell that I am negatively affected by the oversight.

I have read that it is not necessary to high dose the other b vitamins when high dosing thiamine. Simply taking a b-complex pill daily is sufficient.

I think you would find Elliott Overton's informative videos about thiamine helpful: https://www.youtube.com/c/EONutrition/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

In addition, Dr. Costantini's published studies are very informative: Published Study Articles

also, the thiamine articles posted on HormonesMatter.com are very informative: You searched for thiamine - Hormones Matter

Apparently, there are more possible side effects from acetazolomide than there are from thiamine hcl. I've been intensely studying about thiamine for over 9 months; I have never read about it on Wikipedia and I have never heard of Stevens-Johnson syndrome before. Yes, that disease looks scary, but so does leprosy. I don't see the point of focusing on it.
Of course when you take a lot of a particular B vitamin, you do want to take all the other B vitamins. I don’t think there’s a danger in taking 500mg - 1000 mg a day of this one for a long time, providing you get enough of the other B vitamins.

I have used thiamine successfully when I went to high altitude and had no trouble at all because I had loaded with thiamine.
wanted to get your thoughts on this info...

from life extension

The actives of pomegranate that have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase are the ellagitannins. Ellagitannins are primarily found in the fruit part of the pomegranate. Our Pomegranate Fruit Extract would be our suggestion in this case over our Pomegranate Complete. The Pomegranate Fruit Extract contains two fruit extracts and is specified to provide punicalagins, a specific type of ellagitannin. The seed oil used in our Pomegranate Complete is specified to provide punicic acid, which is a fatty acid and not an ellagitannin. We apologize; the final products we offer containing pomegranate are not organic. For your reference, here are links to the product description and a study:

Catechins such as those found in green tea have been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our Decaffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract provides a high amount of catechins. Rosmarinic acid has also been shown to inhibit carbonic anhydrase. Our FOCUS TEA™ provides a high concentration of rosmarinic acid. Here are links to the product descriptions and studies:

Mauritio

Aren't pomegranate seeds hallucinogenic?

OP
D

Dr. B

@Amazoniac @ecstatichamster

good stuff mate thanks for the links and info...

do you know if chromium, or some of the other minerals have effects on glutathione, catalase, hydrogen peroxide, or are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors

Ray doesn't think the nutrients boron or chromium are confirmed to be essential he thinks they're just marketing. but chromium apparently has anti diabetic, blood sugar lowering effects...

@Mauritio

Beastmode

how did you get it , isnt it prescription only? i was thinking of trying. what have you noticed thus far

Mexican pharmacies online is my source.

I and my wife have never had any negative side effects. I do pee a bit more when taking it, but that's not out of the ordinary for some. It's not my "go to" for increasing CO2 as I prefer the CO2 in a garbage bag, bag breathing and baking soda bath.

OP
D

Dr. B

how much of the thiamine is absorbed with these big doses of 1000mg.
if only 100mg gets absorbed or whatever then is there any point to using 1000mg

mostlylurking

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom