Carbon dioxide water bath therapy for treatment of diabetic foot

md_a

CARBAL THERAPY FOR TREATMENT OF DIABETIC FOOT (CO2 WATER BATH)​

DR.SAMEER ALKHAWAJA
KUFA MEDICAL JOURNAL
2012, Volume 15, Issue 1, Pages 211-222

Abstract​

BACKGROUND
Study effect of carbon dioxide water bath therapy (carbothera) in treatment of patient with diabetic foot which they are not response to convention treatment such as daily dressing, debridement, antibiotic and laser therapy in our diabetic and endocrine Najaf Centre.

SUBJECT
One hundred patient with diabetic foot sixty female and forty male with average age 50 years(range from 30 to 70 year) attending to diabetic and endocrine Najaf Centre use as subject in our study followed in two year period(from1/1/2009 to1/1/2011) treated by carbon dioxide water bath therapy .

METHOD
Artificial carbon dioxide containing water for foot bathing was generated using CO2 enriching water production unit manufactured by Mitsubishi Rayon engineering com. Ltd .The carbon dioxide concentration was set at about 900 to 1000 part per million ( ppm) and water temperature was set at 37c( fig1).Diabetic patient immersed foot in water bath start 20 minute then 30 minute at each set done daily or in alternative day ,water usually put in plastic bag and discarded after end of set for each patient then clean plate with disinfectant ,to be use for other patient, we isolated special plate for patient with gangrene .no. of set depend on diabetic foot response , in addition daily dressing and removing dead necrotic tissue and giving antibiotic usually according to culture and sensitivity test is also done. FBS measure on each set, B.U , Serum cretin in and HbA1c done every three month. Patient with osteomyelitis, congestive heart failure, sever varicosity of leg excluded from study. RESULT One hundred patient with diabetic foot attend to alnajaf endocrine and diabetic center treated by carbothera ( CO2 water bath therapy ) 60 female and 40 male with average age 50 year ,result in 65% of patient have complete cure and 35% have partial response to treatment or recurrence after cure of same lesion or recurrence in another area of foot.

CONCLUSION
CO2 is a natural, chemical and technical therapeutic mean which is effective in treatment of diabetic foot and has no side effects when used for the proper indications and in proper dose and can be used for other patient with vascular disease other than diabetic (atherosclerosis’ ,burger disease) and also can be use in treatment of diabetic neuropathy which is my next research.

Attachments

• CO2 WATER BATH.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 34

Doc Sandoz

CARBAL THERAPY FOR TREATMENT OF DIABETIC FOOT (CO2 WATER BATH)​

DR.SAMEER ALKHAWAJA
KUFA MEDICAL JOURNAL
2012, Volume 15, Issue 1, Pages 211-222

Abstract​

BACKGROUND
Study effect of carbon dioxide water bath therapy (carbothera) in treatment of patient with diabetic foot which they are not response to convention treatment such as daily dressing, debridement, antibiotic and laser therapy in our diabetic and endocrine Najaf Centre.

SUBJECT
One hundred patient with diabetic foot sixty female and forty male with average age 50 years(range from 30 to 70 year) attending to diabetic and endocrine Najaf Centre use as subject in our study followed in two year period(from1/1/2009 to1/1/2011) treated by carbon dioxide water bath therapy .

METHOD
Artificial carbon dioxide containing water for foot bathing was generated using CO2 enriching water production unit manufactured by Mitsubishi Rayon engineering com. Ltd .The carbon dioxide concentration was set at about 900 to 1000 part per million ( ppm) and water temperature was set at 37c( fig1).Diabetic patient immersed foot in water bath start 20 minute then 30 minute at each set done daily or in alternative day ,water usually put in plastic bag and discarded after end of set for each patient then clean plate with disinfectant ,to be use for other patient, we isolated special plate for patient with gangrene .no. of set depend on diabetic foot response , in addition daily dressing and removing dead necrotic tissue and giving antibiotic usually according to culture and sensitivity test is also done. FBS measure on each set, B.U , Serum cretin in and HbA1c done every three month. Patient with osteomyelitis, congestive heart failure, sever varicosity of leg excluded from study. RESULT One hundred patient with diabetic foot attend to alnajaf endocrine and diabetic center treated by carbothera ( CO2 water bath therapy ) 60 female and 40 male with average age 50 year ,result in 65% of patient have complete cure and 35% have partial response to treatment or recurrence after cure of same lesion or recurrence in another area of foot.

CONCLUSION
CO2 is a natural, chemical and technical therapeutic mean which is effective in treatment of diabetic foot and has no side effects when used for the proper indications and in proper dose and can be used for other patient with vascular disease other than diabetic (atherosclerosis’ ,burger disease) and also can be use in treatment of diabetic neuropathy which is my next research.

I've done this for sore feet (not diabetic) but didn't use an expensive unit. You can get an attachment for your CO2 tank hose that will pressurize the gas into a 2 liter bottle filled with ordinary water. You pressurize, then shake, pressurize, shake, pressurize, shake. Two or three bottles worth fills a foot bath tub nicely. Works well - very refreshing not just for feet but for the whole body!

akgrrrl

I've done this for sore feet (not diabetic) but didn't use an expensive unit. You can get an attachment for your CO2 tank hose that will pressurize the gas into a 2 liter bottle filled with ordinary water. You pressurize, then shake, pressurize, shake, pressurize, shake. Two or three bottles worth fills a foot bath tub nicely. Works well - very refreshing not just for feet but for the whole body!
This was so helpful of you to post, thanks. I have 2 old guys who come to me for feet care who are sooo on the edge of hospitalization. I am going to try this NOW

Doc Sandoz

This was so helpful of you to post, thanks. I have 2 old guys who come to me for feet care who are sooo on the edge of hospitalization. I am going to try this NOW
Glad to be of service. Forgot to say I like to use very warm to hot water - like a hot spring.

Inaut

I wish somebody made a cheap gas suit. Would be accessible to everyone.

reaching

there are carbonated baths in japan that produce an extremely nice warming effect but i feel like baking soda baths felt better. does baking soda bath produce c02 as well?

Ledo

Did you happen to try just filling the foot tub with co2 gas directly to compare to the water bath with co2 infusion?

I wonder which one provides more gas at the foot contact area? Hmm, interesting to think about, because maybe the water can hold a higher concentration of co2 saturating the foot quicker?

Ledo

Oh great idea. A warm one that was see through, so red light too.
Maybe those guys would benefit from a plain co2 bathtub bath like Ray describes because it would be systemic helping a condition like diabetes over the whole body giving the feet a systemic leg up, pun intended , lol.

akgrrrl

Maybe those guys would benefit from a plain co2 bathtub bath like Ray describes because it would be systemic helping a condition like diabetes over the whole body giving the feet a systemic leg up, pun intended , lol.
Thats a good idea in general, and I would love it personally! but from a mobility standpoint these guys prob can only take showers. When diabetes and the subsequent neuropathy numbs their feet and legs they get wobbley. Think of the all- over benefit! Bath is the most healing thing anyway: submerged to the ears in a deep tub of steaming water... salts, oils..with no sounds but the splash and ripple..the echo and magnification of ones breath, heartbeat...I just looked up the address of the outfit here that will have what I need, simply called Airgas. Will report back.

Inaut

I was thinking of buying something like this. Taping the legs (depending how it seals) and filling it with gas. PVC isn’t ideal but for the price....? I’m using trash bags which can’t be any worse...

Edit: just bought a tyvek suit. Cheap and can even cover scalp. Will try out and update

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals