Carbon dioxide, glycation, and the protective effects of fru

Re: Carbon dioxide, glycation, and the protective effects of

I hereby propose that we start referring to Ray Peat as Dr. Peat (PBUH).

eggshellness

Isadora, it seems that no matter what Andrew does, you would find fault with it: not biting his tongue, biting his tongue, etc. You have demonstrated zero objectivity toward this whole situation. I can say from experience, not opinion, he has actually helped me a lot with some things he mentioned in a very detached way. He enjoys talking about health and science so much and it comes through but he gave me no information with the intent to sway me and I appreciated that so much, it's very rare. He should charge in my opinion. I looked further into some of the things he mentioned and improved a couple of symptoms. Not only that but he has furthered my comprehension of Peat's work, not gotten in the way of it.

Also why do you keep calling him Mr. Kim? He posted as Andrew. I find that patronizing. What other scientists are taking the time to go through Peat's work to provide different angles and insights. He's done this for free!!! Asked for zero back.

Isadora

I am not on a first name basis with Mr. Kim, eggshellness. I happen to know his real name so I will address him as I see fit. He can only address me as Isadora, but had he known my real name, I would have insisted on his use of the deferential form, with Mrs. in front of my family name. This is not patronizing in my book -- just a way to mark distance.

I am glad his advice worked for you. Feel free to advertise for his services.

He doesn't cut it for me, I'm sorry, and even reading his blog seems useless in my situation.

That he has furthered your comprehension of "Peat's work" which he admittedly didn't bother to read, but only to "skim through", is something I have a hard time imagining, but I take your word for it.

kiran

eggshellness said:
Isadora, it seems that no matter what Andrew does, you would find fault with it: not biting his tongue, biting his tongue, etc. You have demonstrated zero objectivity toward this whole situation.

On the contrary, it's perfectly reasonable to
1. Expect someone to mention the fact that Peat inspired their research to a significant extent.
2. Expect someone not hold back on criticism of inaccuracies or misrepresentations ("shenanigans") of scientific research, whether it be from Peat or one of his followers

These are not in any way, shape or form opposites.

eggshellness

Andrew was willing to come on here and discuss his work, the point is he was met with unreasonable hostility by a couple of posters. Peat fans know Andrew was inspired by Peat's work, that's why we read his blog. It's being made out to sound like he was "found out" that he was in part inspired by Peat's work when it was a given from the start. It's even listed here http://caramellamorbida.blogspot.com/
in position number one under Ray Peat *Inspired* Blogs and Forums since Andrew begins with an "A".
I even bet if we asked him to mention it more clearly he would have!! Instead of all this hostility for no reason.

Isadora

eggshellness, I did start by asking nicely, look at the way this discussion started.

And if you think I am "patronizing" Mr. Kim, what do you say about the insults he felt free to bestow on me? He called me "crazy", "thickheadead", etc. -- I merely "called him" "Mr. Kim" -- and you think I am the one who was hostile and less than polite? Who demonstrates zero objectivity now?

I understand, he is your friend, he helped you out of sheer generosity, you feel it is your duty to be on his side.

eggshell said:
Peat fans know Andrew was inspired by Peat's work, that's why we read his blog.

...but saying that doesn't improve Mr. Kim's position, quite the opposite.

Anyway, don't worry, I am sure Mr. Andrew Kim will have a great future and will help a lot of people and that he will learn from this mishap.

eggshellness

Isadora you are a woman after my own heart in questioning and challenging things. Andrew is also similar but I am not trying to improve his position b/c I think it's just fine. I am pointing out the problem with your position. Peat is aware of Andrew's blog and likes it from what I understand. Let's start over, can you again lay out your problems with Andrew's work since it's been established it is peat inspired and he is not in the process of trying to build a future client base? He is actually working on other things and starting Monday he won't have much time for blogging anymore based on time constraints.

Isadora

eggshellness, I am sorry, I do not wish to spend any more of my time on Mr. Andrew Kim, I believe too much space on this forum has been devoted to him already.

I have other projects too and my health to take care of.

key

"Last year Danny Roddy made special reference to a study wherein researchers analyzed HFSC sweetened beverages for their glucose and fructose contents, by first, the addition of enzymes that hydrolyzed the glycosidic bonds between the sugar molecules."-www.andrewkimblog.com/2012/10/fructose-is-glucose-part-iv.html

Danny mentioned the study; Peat found it.

key

"Raw, fibrous vegetables that are resistant to breakdown by our intestinal and microbial enzymes (e.g., carrots)"

I wonder where Andrew got the idea of carrot?

J

j.

Isadora said:
Mr. Kim, you are one childish person. I hope it works for you in real life.

Just about the whole academic world is made up of children and functional psychos, with the exception of a few fields, so that is the type of personality that succeeds.

Ray-Z

Why do you suppose Ray Peat is such a kind, polite man? I do not know, but I like to think he recognizes the futility of the alternatives.

OP
B

Birdie

Ray-Z said:
Why do you suppose Ray Peat is such a kind, polite man? I do not know, but I like to think he recognizes the futility of the alternatives.

Thanks, Ray-z.

Agree, and "If" that Charlie posted alludes to that.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1212

I'd like to learn it.

Ray-Z

Birdie said:
Ray-Z said:

Thanks, Ray-z.

Agree, and "If" that Charlie posted alludes to that.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1212

I'd like to learn it.

A great poem, Birdie, and very fitting.

Isadora

Mr. Andrew Kim is back to treating Peat topics in Peat's unmistakable way. Even his syntax and tone are mimicked, by someone who just "skimmed" his articles! That certain abruptness, the endearing, 70's style way of mentioning "people" in his research, so many touches are there! It's as if Kim were writing fan science! Only... Imagine a fan fiction writer whipping up an episode of "Dr. House", calling it "Dr. Mouse" and pretending there is no affiliation there and that s/he has never watched the show!

While Danny Roddy, who freely admits to being an interpreter of Peat's work, has his own style and art of presentation. I see a sincere, value-added proposition in his offer.

I will never understand why Kim caters to Peat followers without mentioning Peat. I love it when commenters do mention him, matter-of-factly..:)

And, like Chris Masterjohn, I cannot wait for an "About" section on his blog!

J

j.

I just looked at the new article. It's like a summary of some Peat articles. Mentions the same people.

jyb

Maybe Andrew should mention RP a bit more somewhere on the page, but I wouldn't criticize him like this. His articles are often valuable, with some conclusions or studies slightly different than those appearing in the original RP articles. I'm happy to read them.

Isadora

jyb said:
Maybe Andrew should mention RP a bit more somewhere on the page, but I wouldn't criticize him like this. His articles are often valuable, with some conclusions or studies slightly different than those appearing in the original RP articles. I'm happy to read them.

I can understand that you are happy to read a budding scientist's views on Peat topics. As was I, initially. But to me, stubbornly not mentioning Peat in a fully developed Peat context, with a majority of your readers being Peat followers and reading you precisely because they are curious/fans of Peat, deserves criticism and raised eyebrows. It is also an overpowering turn-off, I cannot truly let my intellect evaluate and spend time on the substance of what such a person may be saying. It's as if it were tainted from the start. Evidence that has been tampered with, or an unreliable witness or juror.

I can understand others' not caring about these aspects. We all have different backgrounds. Mine involves criticism, so maybe my priorities differ and also I tend to go overboard in that direction and to place tons of value on an author's intentions and style.

Charlie, if you're every paying attention to this and your offer still stands, maybe you should rename this topic "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or, if you prefer, "Andrew Kim and Ray Peat", or "Andrew Kim on Ray Peat", or "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or something else to that effect and with both names in the title. Thank you!

Mittir

Isadora said:
jyb said:

I can understand that you are happy to read a budding scientist's views on Peat topics. As was I, initially. But to me, stubbornly not mentioning Peat in a fully developed Peat context, with a majority of your readers being Peat followers and reading you precisely because they are curious/fans of Peat, deserves criticism and raised eyebrows. It is also an overpowering turn-off, I cannot truly let my intellect evaluate and spend time on the substance of what such a person may be saying. It's as if it were tainted from the start. Evidence that has been tampered with, or an unreliable witness or juror.

I can understand others' not caring about these aspects. We all have different backgrounds. Mine involves criticism, so maybe my priorities differ and also I tend to go overboard in that direction and to place tons of value on an author's intentions and style.

Charlie, if you're every paying attention to this and your offer still stands, maybe you should rename this topic "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or, if you prefer, "Andrew Kim and Ray Peat", or "Andrew Kim on Ray Peat", or "Ray Peat's Influence on Andrew Kim"? Or something else to that effect and with both names in the title. Thank you!

I am noticing several people are referring to Andrew Kim as scientist. Does anyone know what is his scientific background.
I have read one of his article on half life of adipose tissue criticizing Ray Peat for being lazy and wrong. He claims to be a " overseer" to RP. That was a clever article but he clearly does not understand what he was criticizing. If you read the original article he was criticizing it will be very clear to you.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/33/1/81.long

I am sure he does not have any kind of training in biological science or any hard science. I like Chris Masterjohn's writing, he is a real scientist not like Matt stone. Writing opinion is one thing but critiquing published journals requires expertise in that area and formal training.