haidut

Forum Supporter
Finally some good news out of mainstream medicine! I am quite happy to see that the crucial role of carbon dioxide in health and metabolism is finally being recognized. This was a human study, which makes it even more relevant. Finally, given that belly fat is primarily driven by cortisol is suggests that measures that raise CO2 levels may help reduce cortisol's effects in other parts of the body. I posted threads on thiamine and acetazolamide having cortisol-reducing effects, and recently I also found out that methylene blue and vitamin E also have anti-cortisol effects (through inhibition of HSP70). Thyroid, progesterone, sugar, and various quinones also raise CO2 levels.

https://news.northwestern.edu/index.php/stories/2018/june/carbon-dioxide-reduces-belly-fat/
"...The first randomized, controlled trial testing carbon dioxide gas injections (carboxytherapy) to reduce belly fat found the new technique eliminates fat around the stomach. However, the changes were modest and did not result in long-term fat reduction, according to the Northwestern Medicine study. “Carboxytherapy could potentially be a new and effective means of fat reduction,” said lead author Dr. Murad Alam, vice chair of dermatology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a Northwestern Medicine physician. “It still needs to be optimized, though, so it’s long lasting.” The paper was published this week in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology."

Beastmode

Finally some good news out of mainstream medicine! I am quite happy to see that the crucial role of carbon dioxide in health and metabolism is finally being recognized. This was a human study, which makes it even more relevant. Finally, given that belly fat is primarily driven by cortisol is suggests that measures that raise CO2 levels may help reduce cortisol's effects in other parts of the body. I posted threads on thiamine and acetazolamide having cortisol-reducing effects, and recently I also found out that methylene blue and vitamin E also have anti-cortisol effects (through inhibition of HSP70). Thyroid, progesterone, sugar, and various quinones also raise CO2 levels.

Carbon dioxide reduces belly fat - Northwestern Now
"...The first randomized, controlled trial testing carbon dioxide gas injections (carboxytherapy) to reduce belly fat found the new technique eliminates fat around the stomach. However, the changes were modest and did not result in long-term fat reduction, according to the Northwestern Medicine study. “Carboxytherapy could potentially be a new and effective means of fat reduction,” said lead author Dr. Murad Alam, vice chair of dermatology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a Northwestern Medicine physician. “It still needs to be optimized, though, so it’s long lasting.” The paper was published this week in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology."

Very interesting as ridding some of this excess belly fat has been a recent focus of late. I started pregnenolone recently (70 mg with breakfast) for it's anti-cortisol effect. I wonder if it will contribute to "leaning up" indirectly.

This definitely encourages me to do the bag breathing more consistently.

Mauritio

What is the connection between belly fat and fatty liver?
I think i read that if someone has high belly fat there is also a higher chance that this person has fatty liver disease...

frant26

Finally some good news out of mainstream medicine! I am quite happy to see that the crucial role of carbon dioxide in health and metabolism is finally being recognized. This was a human study, which makes it even more relevant. Finally, given that belly fat is primarily driven by cortisol is suggests that measures that raise CO2 levels may help reduce cortisol's effects in other parts of the body.

I found a spa nearby where they offer "carboxytherapy". 12 sessions over a month or so, and it's cheap! Too good to be true? Is this something you think is safe in order to lose a few "stubborn" belly pounds? @haidut

yerrag

How do you inject a gas? I thought gas pockets in injections lead to death. Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't that what nurses do when they prepare the liquid to be injected - they squirt out the air?

yerrag

How do you inject a gas? I thought gas pockets in injections lead to death. Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't that what nurses do when they prepare the liquid to be injected - they squirt out the air?
I got my answer. So it's injecting into the subcutaneous area and not into a blood vessel.

I suppose that instead of CO2 injections, one could also use a CO2 bath. This is going to make me want to use my carbogen bath unit. A saw a Youtube video using CO2 injections on the belly to make stretch marks disappear. It may also work for hypertrophic scars and keloids, I'm thinking. Pretty soon, I'll test out the carbogen bath and see what it can do for my keloids.

Last edited:

frant26

I got my answer. So it's injecting into the subcutaneous area and not into a blood vessel.

I suppose that instead of CO2 injections, one could also use a CO2 bath. This is going to make me want to use my carbogen bath unit. A saw a Youtube video using CO2 injections on the belly to make stretch marks disappear. It may also work for hypertrophic scars and scars, I'm thinking. Pretty soon, I'll test out the carbogen bath and see what it can do for my keloids.

CO2 injections are far easier to find that CO2 baths. Let's report back here with our experiences.

Learn to breathe less. Then you can get permanent results.

I'm not a big breather, I even tape my mouth at night. Improving this by 10-20% is not going to make any difference I think.

walker_in_aus

Guys I made a homemade face mask that definitely had a tightening a smoothing effect, if you want to try. Mix tablespoon of honey, acv together, and add sugar until it's thick. Put it in the fridge to chill. Make a watery paste with bicarb. Pat onto you face and let dry. Then paint the honey sugar acv mix over the top. Its an intense heat as the reaction produces of CO2, which gets trapped against your skin. I leave it for 20 mins and wipe off. OBVIOUSLY not going to have the same effect of tissue injection but I swear it gave me a tiny face-lift effect, and my smile lines around my eyes were less defined, and my skin smooth. Seems less invasive than needles too, eck.
Then again could just be the bicarb scrubbing my skin smooth...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is insulin resistance also a major cause of belly fat?

Yes, and it itself is due to elevated cortisol. So, addressing cortisol usually resolves the insulin resistance and belly fat. The anticortisol drug RU486 is used off-label in USA for insulin resistance and even diabetes II.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I found a spa nearby where they offer "carboxytherapy". 12 sessions over a month or so, and it's cheap! Too good to be true? Is this something you think is safe in order to lose a few "stubborn" belly pounds? @haidut

You can try it, assuming it is indeed pure CO2 and does not cost an arm and a leg. It would be great if it worked considering how many people on the forum struggle with the same issues.

Ras

However, the changes were modest and did not result in long-term fat reduction, according to the Northwestern Medicine study.
As a relatively lean someone that spent several weeks injecting pure carbon dioxide gas over hours into the subcutaneous spaces of his abdomen, face, and scalp, I contend that you did not emphasize the most important part of your quote.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
As a relatively lean someone that spent several weeks injecting pure carbon dioxide gas over hours into the subcutaneous spaces of his abdomen, face, and scalp, I contend that you did not emphasize the most important part of your quote.

I did not because it is just one study. But I emailed the authors back when I posted it and they responded that indeed they think CO2 is a VERY promising anti-obesity therapy and they hope to do additional studies and find out how to make the benefits last longer or be permanent. They thought suboptimal delivery method/dose and a person's health status (including thyroid and other endocrine conditions they did NOT control for) could account for the lack of persistent effects. If one or more of these additional factors are addressed it could be become a mainstream treatment for obesity, especially in people with cortisol issues (subclinical Cushing syndrome, as they told me over email).

tara

what do you think about injecting CO2 into varicose veins?
Non-expert opinion: I wouldn't be that keen to inject any gas into any blood vessel, in case an embolism stopped some place I needed.

Ras

I did not because it is just one study. But I emailed the authors back when I posted it and they responded that indeed they think CO2 is a VERY promising anti-obesity therapy and they hope to do additional studies and find out how to make the benefits last longer or be permanent. They thought suboptimal delivery method/dose and a person's health status (including thyroid and other endocrine conditions they did NOT control for) could account for the lack of persistent effects. If one or more of these additional factors are addressed it could be become a mainstream treatment for obesity, especially in people with cortisol issues (subclinical Cushing syndrome, as they told me over email).

Unless I am a remarkable outlier, there is no chance whatsoever that carbon dioxide gas injected into the subcutaneous spaces of human skin will ever remove an appreciable amount of subcutaneous fat from any human being. After being enticed into a love affair with CO2 by Peat's many love letters, I subjected myself to literal hours of being injected with carbon dioxide, both intradermally and subcutaneously. I even wrote to Peat about it, and he said "Any irritant will do that to fat." But though I am a man with less than 15% body fat, and though I put liters of the gas into both lean and fatty areas over many periods of five minutes to one hour, I lost no discernable subcutaneous fat. I even got my coworker to scan those injected areas with our MRI, both before and after the sessions, and the images revealed no fat loss.

I am reiterating this to everyone, lest they waste their time and money on this subject.

rei

A plastic bag or similar could be taped over the area to be treated and a 16gram co2 cartridge and mini regulator could be used to achieve a constant slight positive pressure. I would think this kind of transdermal delivery method could be better because when you inject it you cannot create pressure so the uptake must be much worse. This kind of system could easily fit in a medium sized pocket so perfectly portable and the bag would not be seen under the clothes.

Light

A plastic bag or similar could be taped over the area to be treated and a 16gram co2 cartridge and mini regulator could be used to achieve a constant slight positive pressure.

A google search for "co2 cartridge" brought up the little bottles my grandma used to make soda water... Is that what you mean?
Have you tried elevating CO2 levels with this method?