Carbohydrate Calculator

Drareg

This is a carb calculator from the website bodybuilding,com,I'm not into this site at all but these calculators for carb ,protein, and fat seem OK and are in one spot, the rat of the calculators I'm not so sure.
Hopefully it might help some people on here get some perspective on how much carbohydrate is needed depending on your activity levels.

Calculate Your Recommended Carbohydrate Intake!

It would be good if people like them to put them on this forum.
Does it work for you?

tara

It just told me I should eat less than 200 g carbs for maintenance. I'm skeptical.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

It just told me I should eat less than 200 g carbs for maintenance. I'm skeptical.

You may have been too modest about your activity levels if you selected mmaintenance,it does go up a bit when you select more activity,I'm sure they don't take the brain into account,stress levels relative to mental perceptions.

tara

You may have been too modest about your activity levels if you selected mmaintenance,it does go up a bit when you select more activity,I'm sure they don't take the brain into account,stress levels relative to mental perceptions.
I don't think I'm modest about activity levels in the terms they describe - I'm not sure I even qualify for 'lightly active' some weeks, unfirtunately (I would like to be more active).
But even if I put it up to 'moderately active', it suggests I eat only about 200g carbs.
With my probably somewhat low metabolism I need more that for maintenance. If my metabolism were healthy, I'd expect to be needing more still.

I expect you are right that stress can play a role, but since the calculator doesn't provide any way to plug that in, it doesn't really help much in terms of being a useful calculator for stressful people?

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I don't think I'm modest about activity levels in the terms they describe - I'm not sure I even qualify for 'lightly active' some weeks, unfirtunately (I would like to be more active).
But even if I put it up to 'moderately active', it suggests I eat only about 200g carbs.
With my probably somewhat low metabolism I need more that for maintenance. If my metabolism were healthy, I'd expect to be needing more still.

I expect you are right that stress can play a role, but since the calculator doesn't provide any way to plug that in, it doesn't really help much in terms of being a useful calculator for stressful people?

Yes I'm guessing that's the case.
What's interesting is the weight loss recommendations of 150g which is what Peat recommended for weight loss but this is possibly lower with this calculator for smaller people I'm guessing.

tara

I haven't read all their other articles, so I don't know what they recommend for other macros. If one were eating a lot of fat and protein, then that would affect how much carbs one could burn for maintenance.

If those carbs were just 1/3 of calories, maybe it would be not so wildly underestimating.
I'm tallish, and even if I plug in my maximum ever weight (but lightly active), it still says I should eat just under 200g carbs for maintenance. If I were to eat 200g (~800 cal) carbs + 200g protein (~800cal) +90g fat (~800 cal) I might be getting close to my normal maintenance needs. I've probably never eaten that much protein on an ongoing day-to-day basis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals