Carbogen

SOMO

I've thought about purchasing this device, but I haven't found anyone else that used it.

yerrag

I've used it sparingly. I bought it for my mom, but she passed away before it arrived.

I've used it set at 5% CO2. It doesn't draw oxygen from an oxygen tank, but from atmosphere, and CO2 is apportioned from a food grade CO2 tank. I used it for an hour each time. But I've not used it long enough to notice an effect on me. It's because I have no real need for it, as my sugar metabolism is good, my acid-base balance is good, and so the CO2 content in my blood is just fine.

I bought my unit from Carbogenetics. Steve was an active member here before.

I make my own carbonated water daily though, and drink about 6 cups daily. It's easier to do this, and the water tastes good. I get a lot of CO2 in this way also. I think it's easier this way as well.

SOMO

I've used it sparingly. I bought it for my mom, but she passed away before it arrived.

I've used it set at 5% CO2. It doesn't draw oxygen from an oxygen tank, but from atmosphere, and CO2 is apportioned from a food grade CO2 tank. I used it for an hour each time. But I've not used it long enough to notice an effect on me. It's because I have no real need for it, as my sugar metabolism is good, my acid-base balance is good, and so the CO2 content in my blood is just fine.

I bought my unit from Carbogenetics. Steve was an active member here before.

I make my own carbonated water daily though, and drink about 6 cups daily. It's easier to do this, and the water tastes good. I get a lot of CO2 in this way also. I think it's easier this way as well.

I emailed the website owner asking if the therapy bath includes the CO2 generator, but he hasn't gotten back to me and this was a few days ago.

I have not seen the carbogen generator on that website in a while.

Have you used it since posting this topic?

Ingenol

Would not recommend. Had problems with the device and it took going back with the owner many times, many excuses and long delays to get it sorted out (he's a nice guy, to be fair). Ultimately the device doesn't keep a consistent flow of CO2 so you end up breathing regular air with no extra CO2 one second and then the next it shoots up to 15% which is unbreathable and you have to take off the mask until it falls back down. It was extremely difficult to impossible to keep the CO2 at a consistent level. Overall the device was poor in construction and function.

yerrag

I emailed the website owner asking if the therapy bath includes the CO2 generator, but he hasn't gotten back to me and this was a few days ago.
No, mine doesn't.

Inaut

Would not recommend. Had problems with the device and it took going back with the owner many times, many excuses and long delays to get it sorted out (he's a nice guy, to be fair). Ultimately the device doesn't keep a consistent flow of CO2 so you end up breathing regular air with no extra CO2 one second and then the next it shoots up to 15% which is unbreathable and you have to take off the mask until it falls back down. It was extremely difficult to impossible to keep the CO2 at a consistent level. Overall the device was poor in construction and function.

Very helpful post. Thanks @Ingenol

yerrag

No, mine doesn't.

yerrag

I probably got the last production unit, and maybe because it's the last, it's likely the kinks were ironed out and I didn't have too much trouble with it. That is, after I found out that the valve that feeds CO2 from the tank to the unit had to be throttled so that the CO2 jet streaming out doesn't get too intense, else it will cause icing. I use a ball valve, and I can make it let out CO2 slowly, but I think it would be better to use a valve that can regulate in finer increments.

It would be nice to include the CO2 regulator and a suitable valve, and even an empty CO2 tank with the unit, but that would just drive the price higher and then nobody would be buying. But selling it as a complete turnkey unit would lessen the aggravation a user would face, especially a user used to push button conveniences where everything else he's a klutz.

Ingenol

I probably got the last production unit, and maybe because it's the last, it's likely the kinks were ironed out and I didn't have too much trouble with it. That is, after I found out that the valve that feeds CO2 from the tank to the unit had to be throttled so that the CO2 jet streaming out doesn't get too intense, else it will cause icing. I use a ball valve, and I can make it let out CO2 slowly, but I think it would be better to use a valve that can regulate in finer increments.

It would be nice to include the CO2 regulator and a suitable valve, and even an empty CO2 tank with the unit, but that would just drive the price higher and then nobody would be buying. But selling it as a complete turnkey unit would lessen the aggravation a user would face, especially a user used to push button conveniences where everything else he's a klutz.

I had a regulator and yes, if you turn it way down and baby-sit it you can sort of get a reasonable flow, but at best mine was oscillating between 4-10% IIRC which is a huge difference--I found the sweet spot was somewhere around 7%, but the device was incapable of keeping it there. I wouldn't even consider it without a regulator.

The main issue seems to be that the pump on the device is too strong and doesn't toggle on/off quickly enough, so you will set the target to 7%, the pump won't kick on until 4% and then will increase the CO2 past the target to 12% before it shuts off. That's if the pump kicks on at all; often I'd see the level fall well past the set point and it wouldn't even activate so I'd have to power cycle the unit several times just to get things back online.

The app to control it was also so shoddy and would update the CO2 percentage so infrequently that I ended up writing a script to communicate with the device (you can read/write to a bluetooth device as a socket) just to accurately read the percentage and to reconnect when the device (frequently) dropped the connection. I later found free GUI software that did this, but I agree it required a lot of work on the user's part for only a sub-par experience.

Last edited:

SOMO

I had a regulator and yes, if you turn it way down and baby-sit it you can sort of get a reasonable flow, but at best mine was oscillating between 4-10% IIRC which is a huge difference--I found the sweet spot was somewhere around 7%, but the device was incapable of keeping it there. I wouldn't even consider it without a regulator.

The main issue seems to be that the pump on the device is too strong and doesn't toggle on/off quickly enough, so you will set the target to 7%, the pump won't kick on until 4% and then will increase the CO2 past the target to 12% before it shuts off. That's if the pump kicks on at all; often I'd see the level fall well past the set point and it wouldn't even activate so I'd have to power cycle the unit several times just to get things back online.

The app to control it was also so shoddy and would update the CO2 percentage so infrequently that I ended up writing a script to communicate with the device (you can read/write to a bluetooth device as a socket) just to accurately read the percentage and to reconnect when the device (frequently) dropped the connection. I later found free GUI software that did this, but I agree it required a lot of work on the user's part for only a sub-par experience.

Did you experience any anxiety, shallow breathing or uncomfortable sensations when breathing in the higher CO2 levels?

Oh dear, I was hoping this machine was plug-and-play. So you had to change the valve on your unit?

yerrag

Oh dear, I was hoping this machine was plug-and-play. So you had to change the valve on your unit?
If you can hammer a nail and you can online shop and you have the basic wrenches and screwdrivers, and you can download an app, and you can follow directions, or you have a good friend who is a handyman, you'll do fine.

It's plug and play at my comfort level. The small ball valve will probably do at a minimum. Also, don't skimp on the regulator. Mine has two gauges, one measures the tank pressure, and the other sets the CO2 pressure I want coming out. Easy to buy used ones at eBay. Make sure fittings are for CO2. Steve recommends an even more expensive regulator, which keeps the regulator from icing, as icing can destroy it. But I just went with mine, as it's not used so much.

It's the initial setup that's harder, but once set up it's easy to use.

WonMore

If you can hammer a nail and you can online shop and you have the basic wrenches and screwdrivers, and you can download an app, and you can follow directions, or you have a good friend who is a handyman, you'll do fine.

It's plug and play at my comfort level. The small ball valve will probably do at a minimum. Also, don't skimp on the regulator. Mine has two gauges, one measures the tank pressure, and the other sets the CO2 pressure I want coming out. Easy to buy used ones at eBay. Make sure fittings are for CO2. Steve recommends an even more expensive regulator, which keeps the regulator from icing, as icing can destroy it. But I just went with mine, as it's not used so much.

It's the initial setup that's harder, but once set up it's easy to use.
Do you have picture of yours? Or could you describe how it is made? So to have some example to build my own

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals