Carb Problems

MSH

Since slowly adding carbs back into my diet over the past several weeks I am experiencing:

Anxiety
Weight gain
ZERO libido
Penis feels deflated/numb
Lack of motivation
Cognitive issues
Irritability
Legs/feet feel cold

Most of my carbs have been OJ, Maple Syrup, Cane sugar, and what I get from milk.

I’m not sure what to do from here...maybe back to keto???

Evgenij

I think there's a reason he's here on the RP Forum. Maybe the keto diet isn't yielding the desired results?

GreekDemiGod

If you gain weight on high carb, your thyroid is definitely slow. Either that, or poor insulin sensitivity.
Try to eat some fat everytime you eat carbs, to tame the bloog insulin / sugar variations.

If you're high bodyfat, do anything to get lean. It will benefit you a lot. Carb cycling, aggressive IF / OMAD, even low carb but not Keto for a while. Once you get lean, you'll have much better insulin sensitivity.

Since slowly adding carbs back into my diet over the past several weeks I am experiencing:

Anxiety
Weight gain
ZERO libido
Penis feels deflated/numb
Lack of motivation
Cognitive issues
Irritability
Legs/feet feel cold

Most of my carbs have been OJ, Maple Syrup, Cane sugar, and what I get from milk.

I’m not sure what to do from here...maybe back to keto???

Cane sugar products typically provide none of the micronutrients needed to turn cane sugar into energy. Thiamine (along with other B vitamins) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Magnesium (along with other electrolytes) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Manganese (along with other microminerals) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Vitamin C competes for absorption with glucose. When you are consuming plenty of carbohydrate, you will need to consider managing insulin sensitivity with exercise and other tools to stay healthy.

Consider that increased intake of refined sugar may downregulate D2 receptors. Consider also that it is possible some of the sugars you are not digesting are being digested by bacteria.

OP
M

MSH

I think there's a reason he's here on the RP Forum. Maybe the keto diet isn't yielding the desired results?

This^^^

While I have lost weight on keto I still haven’t improved in other areas as much as I’d like. After reading Peat a little more I became more concerned about the possible negative aspects of long term LC/Keto. One of the things that started me rethinking LC and leading back to studying Peat a little more was that LC was making my goiter swell up to an uncomfortable level.

I am aware that when it comes to changes in diet it is possible to have short term discomfort for long term success or vice versa. I don’t mind going through a little short term pain for long term positive results. So, I was wondering if these negative aspects of adding more carbs back in is the temporary price I have to pay to get my metabolism fixed.

I know I can go back to LC IF/OMAD and drop weight fast and I have no problem with that life style, and I will feel pretty good doing it. But, what is the long term price to pay for my over all well being and longevity? So many people feel like they’ve found the Holy Grail with LC only to crash and burn down the line, it may take them several years but they will crash hard often it seems.

BTW, I am 47. Up until just a few years ago I was a competitive athlete involved in many different combat-sports. Now, I couldn’t even make it through the warm ups I used to put my guys through, and not only that I have lost desire to even push myself anymore. This may not be a totally bad thing because I stayed in a state of being over trained for about 30 years! LoL

Thanks

postman

Try starch maybe. Potatoes and traditional masa harina are your best options, rice and white bread are also decent options. Try eating raw whole fruit instead of white sugars and juices.

OP
M

MSH

Cane sugar products typically provide none of the micronutrients needed to turn cane sugar into energy. Thiamine (along with other B vitamins) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Magnesium (along with other electrolytes) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Manganese (along with other microminerals) is necessary to utilize carbohydrate. Vitamin C competes for absorption with glucose. When you are consuming plenty of carbohydrate, you will need to consider managing insulin sensitivity with exercise and other tools to stay healthy.

Consider that increased intake of refined sugar may downregulate D2 receptors. Consider also that it is possible some of the sugars you are not digesting are being digested by bacteria.

I didn’t know that about vitamin C. Maybe that is why I get cold after OJ? I have also been playing with a little coffee lately and it may be making me cold too.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
M

MSH

If you gain weight on high carb, your thyroid is definitely slow. Either that, or poor insulin sensitivity.
Try to eat some fat everytime you eat carbs, to tame the bloog insulin / sugar variations.

If you're high bodyfat, do anything to get lean. It will benefit you a lot. Carb cycling, aggressive IF / OMAD, even low carb but not Keto for a while. Once you get lean, you'll have much better insulin sensitivity.

Thanks GDG. I have been toying with going back to doing that, if for no other reason like you said to drop the poundage.

Could it be that some people just do better on higher fat, even long term?

OP
M

MSH

Try starch maybe. Potatoes and traditional masa harina are your best options, rice and white bread are also decent options. Try eating raw whole fruit instead of white sugars and juices.

Thanks PM. I used to eat more rice when I was doing the PHD. I love Jasmine rice, salt, and Ghee. I may start adding that back in.

Summer

Out of curiosity, are you eating fats and carbs in the same sitting?

OP
M

MSH

Btw, before my latest “Peaty” venture my primary health concerns were/are ;anxiety, inability to handle much stress, exercise intolerant, and my main issue is I am having learning and memory issues—this is the main culprit adding to my stress and anxiety because I have a job where I have to constantly learn new things and solve problems. Before these issues started I enjoyed my job, now I’m stressed all the time. How do I get my brain back??? Finding a new job right now isn’t an option and I don’t really want to, I just want my cognitive abilities back.
Thanks.

Summer

Hey Summer. Yes, I have some coconut oil or ghee.

Thanks

Okay, here are a couple of my thoughts.

1) some people, myself included, do not respond well to coconut oil. I remember when I was taking a tbsp a day, it make feel nauseated and lethargic.

2) this idea might be a little anti-Peat, but some people have success separating carb meals and fat meals, usually with the latter being eaten at the end of the day. Your body is used to using fat as fuel due to keto, now you’ve got carbs and fats going in the same time. Check out the Randle Cycle.

OP
M

MSH

1) some people, myself included, do not respond well to coconut oil. I remember when I was taking a tbsp a day, it make feel nauseated and lethargic.

2) this idea might be a little anti-Peat, but some people have success separating carb meals and fat meals, usually with the latter being eaten at the end of the day. Your body is used to using fat as fuel due to keto, now you’ve got carbs and fats going in the same time. Check out the Randle Cycle.

Thanks Summer for your time and suggestions. I will check into this.

postman

You could use MCT oil, it doesn't compete with sugar

OP
M

MSH

You could use MCT oil, it doesn't compete with sugar

Interesting. I did try MCT oil a couple of years ago and it upset my stomach if I recall correctly. Perhaps it was just the brand or type I used?

Thanks

tara

Worth a try to see if it works better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals