Carb Problems

OP
M

MSH

Worth a try to see if it works better.

Thanks Tara. I have definitely made myself sick eating too much sugar from the ones mentioned in my opening post. Going to try and slowly ease starches back into my diet.

Are resistant starches a good idea?

tara

Are resistant starches a good idea?
I would try things out and see what works for you.
If transit speed is good, I think that reduces the risk of SIBO.

OP
M

MSH

I would try things out and see what works for you.
If transit speed is good, I think that reduces the risk of SIBO.

I did try resistant starches some time ago. It did seem to really help to balance my blood sugar.

Tarmander

Nothing decreases insulin resistance and made eating carbs easier then antibiotics and antibiotics like substances for me:

Erythromycin, Cinnamon, Ginger, Berberine, Neem, Tulsi, NAC, enzymes

OP
M

MSH

Nothing decreases insulin resistance and made eating carbs easier then antibiotics and antibiotics like substances for me:

Erythromycin, Cinnamon, Ginger, Berberine, Neem, Tulsi, NAC, enzymes

Thanks Tarmander. How does this work?

Tarmander

Thanks Tarmander. How does this work?
Almost every substance that is marketed to improve insulin resistance or what not seems to have an antibacterial effect. So starting there if you are struggling with carbs seems reasonable

OP
M

MSH

Almost every substance that is marketed to improve insulin resistance or what not seems to have an antibacterial effect. So starting there if you are struggling with carbs seems reasonable
Ahh ok. Got it. Thanks

tara

I did try resistant starches some time ago. It did seem to really help to balance my blood sugar.
So if unstable blood sugar is a key issue for you, this could be useful? Unless it causes you too much other trouble. I seem to run for longer on a decent meal with starches than one high in sugars.

OP
M

MSH

So if unstable blood sugar is a key issue for you, this could be useful? Unless it causes you too much other trouble. I seem to run for longer on a decent meal with starches than one high in sugars.

Do you consume any resistant starches? If so, for how long and have you had any issues. Is the butyrate from RS beneficial in the long run?

I read that there was a study done that tracked over 10000 participants for nine years who ate one ounce of legumes with RS each day lowered mortality rates more than any other food group. Now, I haven’t read the study itself and I’m not sure I’d understand it well if I did but it’s good food for thought I suppose. Personally, I don’t care for legumes.

Thanks

pepsi

You said you slowly added carbs back into your diet. Sounds like your
mixing the Peat inspired diet with the keto diet?
I dont think that can work, especially if your keto diet is high in PUFA.

I jumped straight into the Peat inspired diet from a keto diet.
I stocked my fridge with OJ and milk, picked a day, and only consumed milk/OJ from then.
Within a few days, I had more energy and could work 5 hours strenuously without
feeling tired/sore as I had on the keto diet.

Dr Peat states a person can drink lowfat milk and OJ only to lose weight but still get
most of their nutrients met. I think its best to start the Peat inspired diet this way,
then when your weight has stabilized (if your trying to lose weight), tweak the diet and add in the liver/eggs/cheese/fat/carbs and other Peat friendly foods.

tara

Do you consume any resistant starches?
I haven't paid attention to this for myself. I eat potatoes regularly, rice reasonable frequently, and sometimes other starchy foods. I always cook enough for more than one meal, so I'm often reheating left-overs - that might make for some RS? I'v recently got a taste for lentils again, so I'm eating a little of them too, and if I'm offered other legumes socially I'll eat them. I don't usually have a lot of obvious gut distress these days. I used to get a bit of trouble years ago when I was eating high fibre diet with lots of whole grains and legumes. I tried briefly going very low starch, but all the sugar got to me. When I resumed more starchy foods, I think it took a little while to readapt - if I ate spuds for the the first time after a week without, I'd get more gassy. But after a few days my system seemed used to it again.
I've heard that butyrate is useful in the gut, and that gut bacteria can make it from starchy foods. I don't know and have not investigated how this balances out with other factors.
I do notice that I get undesirable symptoms (possibly endotoxin effects?) if gut transit slows too much, so I use tactics to prevent that when needed.

OP
M

MSH

You said you slowly added carbs back into your diet. Sounds like your
mixing the Peat inspired diet with the keto diet?
I dont think that can work, especially if your keto diet is high in PUFA.

I jumped straight into the Peat inspired diet from a keto diet.
I stocked my fridge with OJ and milk, picked a day, and only consumed milk/OJ from then.
Within a few days, I had more energy and could work 5 hours strenuously without
feeling tired/sore as I had on the keto diet.

Dr Peat states a person can drink lowfat milk and OJ only to lose weight but still get
most of their nutrients met. I think its best to start the Peat inspired diet this way,
then when your weight has stabilized (if your trying to lose weight), tweak the diet and add in the liver/eggs/cheese/fat/carbs and other Peat friendly foods.

Hey Pepsi, thanks for your response.

Too be honest, this is my second time trying a “Peat” approach to diet ( whatever that means???). The first time a couple of years ago I did what you mentioned, I dove straight in with milk and OJ...tons of it! I ended up pretty much where I am now.

Fast forward a couple of years and for various reasons I thought I’d try again. But this time I thought maybe my problem last time was doing too much too fast. So, I did it slowly this time around. Eventually I worked back up to lots of milk and OJ, and like last time I am sick.

I think for me looking back over the last several years of various diets the one that has worked the best for me is the Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet. I think at this point I will be returning to that approach. I definitely need to drop some of this weight I’ve picked up and IF/OMAD just melts the weight off of me and I find it easy to do.

I am most curious about Peat’s ideas of serotonin. I do believe he is right here and that I do deal with excess serotonin.Also, I believe I have excess estrogen and my thyroid function could be better so I will be looking to improve these as well. So, for now I think it’s back to PHD/IF/OMAD(1-3x week) and figuring out how to deal with excess serotonin, estrogen, and thyroid optimization.

Thanks again Pepsi for your time.

OP
M

MSH

I haven't paid attention to this for myself. I eat potatoes regularly, rice reasonable frequently, and sometimes other starchy foods. I always cook enough for more than one meal, so I'm often reheating left-overs - that might make for some RS? I'v recently got a taste for lentils again, so I'm eating a little of them too, and if I'm offered other legumes socially I'll eat them. I don't usually have a lot of obvious gut distress these days. I used to get a bit of trouble years ago when I was eating high fibre diet with lots of whole grains and legumes. I tried briefly going very low starch, but all the sugar got to me. When I resumed more starchy foods, I think it took a little while to readapt - if I ate spuds for the the first time after a week without, I'd get more gassy. But after a few days my system seemed used to it again.
I've heard that butyrate is useful in the gut, and that gut bacteria can make it from starchy foods. I don't know and have not investigated how this balances out with other factors.
I do notice that I get undesirable symptoms (possibly endotoxin effects?) if gut transit slows too much, so I use tactics to prevent that when needed.

Hey Tara. It looks like the majority of your carbs are starches. I think am heading back that way myself. It seems that sugar drives my adrenaline sky high!

What does your macro percentages roughly break down to?

Can you share what some of the undesirable symptoms of endotoxins in your system are and the tactics you use to correct them?

Thanks

OP
M

MSH

I just read this:

High Carbohydrate Diet
A diet high in simple carbohydrates will spike blood sugar and cause your body to produce more insulin.

Excess insulin, in turn, promotes the production of excessive amounts of serotonin. “

Wonder if there is any truth to this, at least in some people?

milkboi

I just read this:

High Carbohydrate Diet
A diet high in simple carbohydrates will spike blood sugar and cause your body to produce more insulin.

Excess insulin, in turn, promotes the production of excessive amounts of serotonin. “

Wonder if there is any truth to this, at least in some people?

Yes I think there's truth to insulin elevating serotonin in the brain at least. So it's advisable to eat protein with your carbs so there are amino acids in your blood stream that compete with Tryptophan for uptake in your brain.

OP
M

MSH

Yes I think there's truth to insulin elevating serotonin in the brain at least. So it's advisable to eat protein with your carbs so there are amino acids in your blood stream that compete with Tryptophan for uptake in your brain.

Thanks milkboi for your input!