Can't Wake Up

frant26

I have a lot of trouble waking up even after sleeping 10+ hours.

The alarm goes off, snooze, ... a few hours later I'm still in bed. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to get out of bed, and most days I feel like a zombie until sooner or later in the afternoon when I *finally* feel awake.

I normally have a very Peaty breakfast of around 800 calories, with enough coffee, OJ and sugar, but when I sit down at the computer I feel weak, I constantly sigh, I'm cloudheaded and at times distracted with my eyes not focusing.

This excessive sleeping pattern has been going on for a looong time (since I was child, through university and even as a baby my mom tells me I slept about 10 hours straight every night). I know I snore so I probably hyperventilate and don't rest well. I tried taping my mouth with 3M tape to conserve CO2, but this has had zero impact in the state I wake up. My morning temps are ~96ºF.

One of the few things that really gives me a kick is a cigarette. But I don't usually smoke so I don't like relying on that. I started supplementing niacinamide (which I understand is similar to nicotine) but I don't feel any effect from it. Very recently, I added magnesium glycinate, thyroid and lisuride to try and bring down my high TSH/prolactin (sky high)/cortisol combo but still can't notice a difference.

Anyone here experienced something similar? I really appreciate your opinions! I feel stuck, wasting half of my life.

Last edited:

WestCoaster

Yes, what cured it was eating more calories, more fat, and less carbs. I've read other people testify to NoFaP as another thing that increased their energy. I highly suspect your Testosterone is likely low, low T can make someone quite lethargic. To fix that one needs more saturated and monounsaturated fat. You also need to minimize the sugar/glucose, and insulin secretion. They inhibit Testosterone production. I know I'm going to get asked to provide a source so here are a few on this:

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room...10/testosteronedecreasesafteringestionofsugar
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071109171610.htm
Glucose ingestion acutely lowers pulsatile LH and basal testosterone secretion in men. - PubMed - NCBI
Insulin regulates testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations in adult normal weight and obese men. - PubMed - NCBI

Brian

Yes, what cured it was eating more calories, more fat, and less carbs. I've read other people testify to NoFaP as another thing that increased their energy. I highly suspect your Testosterone is likely low, low T can make someone quite lethargic. To fix that one needs more saturated and monounsaturated fat. You also need to minimize the sugar/glucose, and insulin secretion. They inhibit Testosterone production. I know I'm going to get asked to provide a source so here are a few on this:

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room...10/testosteronedecreasesafteringestionofsugar
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071109171610.htm
Glucose ingestion acutely lowers pulsatile LH and basal testosterone secretion in men. - PubMed - NCBI
Insulin regulates testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations in adult normal weight and obese men. - PubMed - NCBI

I think why carbs can lower testosterone or otherwise cause negative hormonal reactions is due to insulin resistance. That could be due to things like intracellular magnesium deficiency, low DHT, low potassium, etc. High free fatty acids can also disrupt exogenous glucose metabolism.

I personally think its easiest to just get in some resistance training sessions three times per week and varying amounts of fat and carbs can usually be eaten without any issues.

OP
frant26

frant26

Yes, what cured it was eating more calories, more fat, and less carbs. I've read other people testify to NoFaP as another thing that increased their energy. I highly suspect your Testosterone is likely low, low T can make someone quite lethargic.

1-month old labs: Free serum T = 158 pg/ml and Total serum T = 8.49 ng/ml both are on the higher side of the "normal" range so I don't think I have LOW testosterone. Does the lab value for SHBG indicate anything about possible aromatization to estrogen?

Funny that you mention Nofap, I started yesterday! Curious as how that impacts my morning energy, thanks for the recommendation.

Peat recommends increasing sugar, not decreasing it.

I significantly increased sugar (2000kcal/day) and I gained significant weight (about 15 lbs which is a lot for me). I don't imply it's sugar's fault, but I'm fatter than ever and it sucks. It hasn't changed much in terms of awakeness/clarity.

I think why carbs can lower testosterone or otherwise cause negative hormonal reactions is due to insulin resistance. That could be due to things like intracellular magnesium deficiency, low DHT, low potassium, etc. High free fatty acids can also disrupt exogenous glucose metabolism.

I personally think its easiest to just get in some resistance training sessions three times per week and varying amounts of fat and carbs can usually be eaten without any issues.

I'm lifting weights 2x/week, gained quite some muscle, started eating more, gained more belly.

Brian

How hard do you think resistance training needs to be, in order to be beneficial?

A half hour of one minute sets and a few minutes rest is probably enough. Progressive resistance in weightlifting or body weight routines are one way to go about it, but a sport involving sprinting or something like rock climbing are also good for keeping the body insulin sensitive.

OP
frant26

frant26

A half hour of one minute sets and a few minutes rest is probably enough. Progressive resistance in weightlifting or body weight routines are one way to go about it, but a sport involving sprinting or something like rock climbing are also good for keeping the body insulin sensitive.

Besides weight lifting I want to do box training (punching bag, jump-rope, abs, all done in bursts) because it's more social and fun. It doesn't have many concentric exercises but I imagine that kind of activity lowers cortisol? Would that be helpful?

Brian

I have a lot of trouble waking up even after sleeping 10+ hours.

The alarm goes off, snooze, ... a few hours later I'm still in bed. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to get out of bed, and most days I feel like a zombie until sooner or later in the afternoon when I *finally* feel awake.

I normally have a very Peaty breakfast of around 800 calories, with enough coffee, OJ and sugar, but when I sit down at the computer I feel weak, I constantly sigh, I'm cloudheaded and at times distracted with my eyes not focusing.

This excessive sleeping pattern has been going on for a looong time (since I was child, through university and even as a baby my mom tells me I slept about 10 hours straight every night). I know I snore so I probably hyperventilate and don't rest well. I tried taping my mouth with 3M tape to conserve CO2, but this has had zero impact in the state I wake up. My morning temps are ~96ºF.

One of the few things that really gives me a kick is a cigarette. But I don't usually smoke so I don't like relying on that. I started supplementing niacinamide (which I understand is similar to nicotine) but I don't feel any effect from it. Very recently, I added magnesium glycinate, thyroid and lisuride to try and bring down my high TSH/prolactin (sky high)/cortisol combo but still can't notice a difference.

Anyone here experienced something similar? I really appreciate your opinions! I feel stuck, wasting half of my life.

Do you have a low carb or low calorie past? I did that during college for awhile and when I tried to eat high carb again I gained belly fat and was drowsy a lot too. I didn't do well on fructose until I restored a better metabolism, I think lowering serotonin, prolactin and other things.

OP
frant26

frant26

Do you have a low carb or low calorie past? I did that during college for awhile and when I tried to eat high carb again I gained belly fat and was drowsy a lot too. I didn't do well on fructose until I restored a better metabolism, I think lowering serotonin, prolactin and other things.

I briefly tried paleo for 4 months in 2012. Lost a LOT of weight. Eating a Peat inspired diet ever since.

Prolactin (very high at 33 ng/ml) and TSH (now 6.0) were high since then, and they keep steadily going up.

Coffee, tobacco and cypro are the ONLY substances which I can FEEL the effect. I took a bunch of other vitamins and foods for ages and I just don't feel a great difference - for better or worse. I am seriously jealous of people who can pinpoint one thing like "magnesium made me feel like this or that". I have no clue.

I feel like the Titanic, still afloat and moving, but I don't change course no matter what I do and I'm slowly heading to the iceberg.

dbh25

Coffee is on my list of suspects, but I love it :bigtears:

So, NoFap and NoCaf it will be.
I love coffee too, but it doesn't love me. I drink it sometimes on the weekend, I feel so much better not having it every day.

I significantly increased sugar (2000kcal/day) and I gained significant weight (about 15 lbs which is a lot for me).

Sugar doesn't convert into fat though because of de novo lipogenesis. The reason why white refined sugar/sucrose raises triglycerides is because the triglycerides are being released into the bloodstream from your own fat tissue because it is thermogenic and raises the RMR. It's not the sugar that's being converted into new triglycerides, thus, white sugar causes body fat loss, not gain, as long as you eat low fat.

Brian

Besides weight lifting I want to do box training (punching bag, jump-rope, abs, all done in bursts) because it's more social and fun. It doesn't have many concentric exercises but I imagine that kind of activity lowers cortisol? Would that be helpful?

I don't have much experience with that type of training, I personally like longer resting periods to ensure ATP has a chance to recharge. Whether shorter resting periods will raise cortisol probably depends on glycogen storage, mitochondrial density and maybe creative levels. Which should improve the more you train an intense type of activity, so probably best to go off how you feel and enjoy.

OP
frant26

frant26

Do you regularly get mild exercise and bright light?

Yes and yes.

2-3 times a week weight lifting, and I walk/bike.

Sunlight has a mood lifting effect on me, but it isn't always possible to sunbathe first thing in the morning/noon. Or do you mean an incandescent bright light?

Brian

I briefly tried paleo for 4 months in 2012. Lost a LOT of weight. Eating a Peat inspired diet ever since.

Prolactin (very high at 33 ng/ml) and TSH (now 6.0) were high since then, and they keep steadily going up.

Coffee, tobacco and cypro are the ONLY substances which I can FEEL the effect. I took a bunch of other vitamins and foods for ages and I just don't feel a great difference - for better or worse. I am seriously jealous of people who can pinpoint one thing like "magnesium made me feel like this or that". I have no clue.

I feel like the Titanic, still afloat and moving, but I don't change course no matter what I do and I'm slowly heading to the iceberg.

Prolactin can be a major brake on metabolism, so figuring out whatever is keeping it high could be a big key. I never had mine tested, but things did seem to get a lot better for me after focusing on getting plenty of zinc. I did try a prolactin antagonist for awhile. It didn't do much for me. I think it was magnesium from supplement and zinc from food while decreasing ejaculation frequency that eventually brought my prolactin down.

OP
frant26

frant26

Prolactin can be a major brake on metabolism, so figuring out whatever is keeping it high could be a big key. I never had mine tested, but things did seem to get a lot better for me after focusing on getting plenty of zinc. I did try a prolactin antagonist for awhile. It didn't do much for me. I think it was magnesium from supplement and zinc from food while decreasing ejaculation frequency that eventually brought my prolactin down.

Yeah, I hope Nofap helps.

How would you go about figuring out what keeps it high?

But most importantly, how can you possibly know your prolactin went down without testing it? Change in symptoms? I ask this because I'm clueless about inferring this kind of things, and I have to learn.

DaveFoster

Something I'm trying: leave my earbuds in my phone. When my alarm goes off, put on a song and doze with it playing. This seems to wake me up if it's a good song.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals