cant stomach oysters, can I substitute supplements instead?

pepsi

Just the smell and look of them almost makes me nauseous.
I have eaten 3 cans in the past 3 weeks and had to force myself
while pinching my nose.
Can I supplement zinc, copper and selenium instead of having to
eat them, or is there something more I would be missing.

I do eat liver once a week, I dont like it but its more tolerable.

Wilfrid

Re: cant stomach oysters, can I substitute supplements inste

Hi Christina,

Based on what you said, I suppose that you're not allergic to them,right?
Have you tried cooked oysters?
If you don't want to try the cooking method, you also have the choice of buying this if you choose to supplement:

http://www.nutrilysdelmar.com/shop/shop ... count.html

I have heard real stories from real peoples who had amazing results with this product.( energy boost, mostly).
I worked at an organic shop in France ( the product is making from Nutrilys, a french maker of seafoods products.) and we are selling it but it's really expensive, though.
But it's still the most closer thing to natural oysters ( in fact, it's oysters in powder).
Or if you want an extra mineral boost, you can try the wheat germ and making an extract of it.
Ray told me the basic recipe for it:
- soaking the wheat germ in water overnight while in the fridge.
- the next morning, drain the water out of it and drink.
He spoke about the wheat germ extract, shortly, in " Nutrition for women" and in the following article (comparing liver and wheat germ as good source of iron.)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

Still, liver is a great way to get vitamins and minerals but watch for any "side" effects on your metabolism particulary if you have some hypothyroidism symptoms.

jyb

Wilfrid said:
Hi Christina,

Based on what you said, I suppose that you're not allergic to them,right?
Have you tried cooked oysters?
If you don't want to try the cooking method, you also have the choice of buying this if you choose to supplement:

http://www.nutrilysdelmar.com/shop/shop ... count.html

I have heard real stories from real peoples who had amazing results with this product.( energy boost, mostly).
I worked at an organic shop in France ( the product is making from Nutrilys, a french maker of seafoods products.) and we are selling it but it's really expensive, though.
But it's still the most closer thing to natural oysters ( in fact, it's oysters in powder).
Or if you want an extra mineral boost, you can try the wheat germ and making an extract of it.
Ray told me the basic recipe for it:
- soaking the wheat germ in water overnight while in the fridge.
- the next morning, drain the water out of it and drink.
He spoke about the wheat germ extract, shortly, in " Nutrition for women" and in the following article (comparing liver and wheat germ as good source of iron.)

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

Still, liver is a great way to get vitamins and minerals but watch for any "side" effects on your metabolism particulary if you have some hypothyroidism symptoms.

Nutrylis does seem expensive (59 euros for only 120 gels, with typical dose 6 per day). Do you know if they ship to UK? Seems like one can get them in Northern America and France.

Wilfrid

Hi jyb,

Most people I spoke with at work are using only 3 per day.
It's a very potent product, I tried to substitute oysters for this ( I'm allergic to shellfish) and I had the same allergic reaction to one caps ( red patches on my inner thighs) like when I eat 5 or 6 oysters (with this amount the allergic reaction usually appears within one day).
Anyway, I will call them tomorrow and see if they do ship to UK.
If not, and if you want to try some, tell me and I will see if I can have a free sample from the rep of nutrilys and send it to you.
Otherwise, I still can buy the product for you and send it to you.

jyb

@Wilfrid: thanks a lot for inquiring, that's very kind.

How do you explain allergy to shellfish? It can't be a histamine / protein breakdown allergy if it only occurs with shellfish.

Wilfrid

I dunno may be due to my crohn's....
But as far as I remember, I didn't really like fish or shellfish though I never had any bad reaction to them during my childhood....
I do have an allergy to cobalt and when I ingest any form of B12 (methyl,hydroxo or even worse cyanocobalamin) I have almost the same reaction as eating shellfish maybe they are providing too much cobalt to my system?
Still looking but yeah you're right don't have those reactions with meat or cheese so...

gretchen

I have trouble with them also. They can be delicious if you make them part of meal such as with white rice and tomatoes. You can even add a little non Peat herb to the tomatoes and rice like basil or dried cilantro so there are other flavors and not just the strong smell of oysters.

jyb

Wilfrid said:
Hi jyb,

Most people I spoke with at work are using only 3 per day.
It's a very potent product, I tried to substitute oysters for this ( I'm allergic to shellfish) and I had the same allergic reaction to one caps ( red patches on my inner thighs) like when I eat 5 or 6 oysters (with this amount the allergic reaction usually appears within one day).
Anyway, I will call them tomorrow and see if they do ship to UK.
If not, and if you want to try some, tell me and I will see if I can have a free sample from the rep of nutrilys and send it to you.
Otherwise, I still can buy the product for you and send it to you.

Wilfrid, have you figured out whether they ship the powdered oyster product to UK?

It seems cost effective on a nutrient by nutrient basis, and also a lot more convenient as a regular source of oyster.

pboy

If you consume milk, eggs, and OJ regularly you dont' really even need to supplement zinc or selenium. OJ is pretty good for copper (about 5% per cup), so you aren't gonna be deficient, but might want to include some dark chocolate, pineapple juice (about 10% copper per cup), liver, sesame seed (has high phytate, PUFA so not recommended), mushroom broth / tea (if you can tolerate, make sure to cook a while) or molasses time to time.

jyb

@Wilfrid: Actually I figured it ships to EU. I noticed there is another product a bit like Nutrylis, from Laboratoires ITC, which sells powder of oysters from Portuguese and is a product widely available online. There also exists a much cheaper product, Swanson Oyster extract from Kyoto, labelled as Oyster extract.

pboy

also wanted to add squid is a really good copper source...though I've never eaten them so I don't know if they would be much better for you if you don't like oysters