Can't Get Out Of A Hypometabolic State

ATP

I have been trying to increase my metabolism for a few years now and nothing I do works. I have tried every variation of diet imaginable along with all of the Peat recommended supplements, still with no increase. I have had extensive blood work over the years done with only two significant tests that came back abnormal which was low testosterone and high reverse T3. Both which have been tested since and are within normal ranges now. So by rectifying those, no real change is health was achieved.

I am never hungry, always cold (35c) and resting pulse rate is low (54bpm) on average. I can maintain my weight of 103 kgs at 6ft as a male on a 1000 calories a day.

As I have mentioned my main health problems in previous posts as mental illness and severe fatigue, there is no need for me to go into detail here because my main concern at the moment is to regain a normal metabolic rate, which will hopefully improve my main problems.

I am lost and out of ideas as trying almost everything previously recommended on all the threads I have read. I guess I am hoping for someone to suggest something new....

Last edited:

Richiebogie

I am keeping constant weight on about 3500 calories a day. I am a bit taller than you and do a lot of walking (about 7km per day) and swimming (about 1.8 km every second day).

Do you do any exercise? The more fit you are the more energy you burn at rest. The secret is to build up slowly. Maybe a small 100 meter jog then rest several times a day.

If I sit for an hour I feel cold, but if I walk I warm up after about 20 minutes. I walk a lot around the city and inner suburbs so there are lots of people, shops and interesting things to see. I usually carry my shopping several kilometers which builds up strength and stamina.

Last edited:
OP
ATP

ATP

What do you eat?
At the moment something along the lines of milk, oj, cheese, gelatin, potatoes mushrooms, well cooked vegetables, lamb. If I force myself to eat I feel worse and bloat.

OP
ATP

ATP

I am keeping constant weight on about 3500 calories a day. I am a bit taller than you and do a lot of walking (about 7km per day) and swimming (about 1.8 km every second day).

Do you do any exercise? The more fit you are the more energy you burn at rest. The secret is to build up slowly. Maybe a small 100 meter jog then rest several times a day.

If I sit for an hour I feel cold, but if I walk I warm up after about 20 minutes. I walk a lot around the city and inner suburbs so there are lots of people, shops and interesting things to see. I usually carry my shopping several kilometers which builds up strength and stamina.
Yeah I use to exercise a lot but a few years ago when I started to really experience fatigue I basically stopped all of it except for a long slow walk everyday.

Richiebogie

How far do you walk each day approximately? You may have to force yourself to run a few hundred meters from time to time. A bit of fear may help... Eg run away from an angry ice-addled zombie, or run to catch a train or get to an appointment.

I started doing a few sprints when I found my knees were getting weak. Usain Bolt doesn't seem to have weak-knees!

I start the day with a few spoons of coffee essence. This is caramelised sugar and coffee.

About an hour later I have 500ml water, 1kg bananas, 250g mango and 5 spoons of desiccated coconut blended into a smoothie. I drink this and eat some prunes, dates and figs.

I eat about 100g parmigiano reggiano cheese for lunch.

Dinner is sweet potato, mushroom & seafood mix pressure cooked into a soup.

I eat mandarins and more dried fruit before bed!

I keep changing things around to see if I can improve my mood and skin etc.

OP
ATP

ATP

How far do you walk each day approximately? You may have to force yourself to run a few hundred meters from time to time. A bit of fear may help... Eg run away from an angry ice-addled zombie, or run to catch a train or get to an appointment.

I started doing a few sprints when I found my knees were getting weak. Usain Bolt doesn't seem to have weak-knees!

I start the day with a few spoons of coffee essence. This is caramelised sugar and coffee.

About an hour later I have 500ml water, 1kg bananas, 250g mango and 5 spoons of desiccated coconut blended into a smoothie. I drink this and eat some prunes, dates and figs.

I eat about 100g parmigiano reggiano cheese for lunch.

Dinner is sweet potato, mushroom & seafood mix pressure cooked into a soup.

I eat mandarins and more dried fruit before bed!

I keep changing things around to see if I can improve my mood and skin etc.
To be honest I wouldn't have a clue how far I am walking, tomorrow I will take note though. A angry ice-addled zombie would definitely force me to run! I have tried to force myself to exercise rigorously several times in the recent past and the result is always the same, an extended period of unbelievable fatigue, the longer I rest from any physical exertion the better I feel.

What is your body composition like on that diet? Also I noticed you're from Australia, as am I. Are you currently eating that much fruit at the moment since it is winter here?

DaveFoster

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue how far I am walking, tomorrow I will take note though. A angry ice-addled zombie would definitely force me to run! I have tried to force myself to exercise rigorously several times in the recent past and the result is always the same, an extended period of unbelievable fatigue, the longer I rest from any physical exertion the better I feel.

What is your body composition like on that diet? Also I noticed you're from Australia, as am I. Are you currently eating that much fruit at the moment since it is winter here?
Don't force yourself to exercise if it bothers you that much. Have you tried small amounts of T3, as in 0.1 mcg at a time, or anti-serotonin drugs?

Xisca

The paradox is that you have normal blood tests for thyroid, and hypothyroid signs...
I am beginning to look for this track: hormone resistance, it is in the blood and does not do its job in the cell, and what is tested is ....in the blood, not in the cell!
Hic, if you take thyroid hormone, it can increase in the blood and might not be good.
My guess is about early shock in life, or shock about a few months to 2 years back before it starts, if it happens later in life.
Vagus nerve problem stuck in a dorso-vagal freeze response, which in fact covers a big sympathic activation that the body cannot deal with, because it is too strong.
The consequence is that the surrenals are quite busy in this state.
Also, come secondary problems, such as bacterial uppergut overgrowth, not enough acid in the stomach, low bilis, detox pathways that are impaired and adding all sort of environmental toxins and not only endotoxins. Also molds and virus are often there.
Redlight and Buteyko breathing might help, digestive enzymes and betaine HCl too.
Do not force your body or it will react by shutting down even more.
Work with your body, listen to it.
And eating RP food does not mean you cannot eat what he does not mention! Variety, he says himself, and just avoid PUFAs and additives.

OP
ATP

ATP

Don't force yourself to exercise if it bothers you that much. Have you tried small amounts of T3, as in 0.1 mcg at a time, or anti-serotonin drugs?
I have tried t3 in small doses, large doses and everything in between, also t4/t3 and NDT. I have tried Cyproheptadine and Ritanserin, which both caused me be to be very sedated at minimal doses.

DaveFoster

I have tried t3 in small doses, large doses and everything in between, also t4/t3 and NDT. I have tried Cyproheptadine and Ritanserin, which both caused me be to be very sedated at minimal doses.
Well your pulse certainly indicates hypothyroidism, so that should be a priority. As mentioned, have you tried surrounding yourself with red lights (say 3 at a time)?

OP
ATP

ATP

The paradox is that you have normal blood tests for thyroid, and hypothyroid signs...
I am beginning to look for this track: hormone resistance, it is in the blood and does not do its job in the cell, and what is tested is ....in the blood, not in the cell!
Hic, if you take thyroid hormone, it can increase in the blood and might not be good.
My guess is about early shock in life, or shock about a few months to 2 years back before it starts, if it happens later in life.
Vagus nerve problem stuck in a dorso-vagal freeze response, which in fact covers a big sympathic activation that the body cannot deal with, because it is too strong.
The consequence is that the surrenals are quite busy in this state.
Also, come secondary problems, such as bacterial uppergut overgrowth, not enough acid in the stomach, low bilis, detox pathways that are impaired and adding all sort of environmental toxins and not only endotoxins. Also molds and virus are often there.
Redlight and Buteyko breathing might help, digestive enzymes and betaine HCl too.
Do not force your body or it will react by shutting down even more.
Work with your body, listen to it.
And eating RP food does not mean you cannot eat what he does not mention! Variety, he says himself, and just avoid PUFAs and additives.
Yes that could definitely be a major problem. I could possibly have hormone resistance but how would I find that out? I've used redlight for a while now along with Buteyko breathing, several different digestive enzymes and HCL.

How would I find out if my vagus nerve is stuck in a freeze response and also how to rectify that?

OP
ATP

ATP

Well your pulse certainly indicates hypothyroidism, so that should be a priority. As mentioned, have you tried surrounding yourself with red lights (say 3 at a time)?
Yes I have tried using redlight, a couple of redlights at once. No real difference. I would say I am hypothyroid considering my metabolic rate, pulse and temp but all my bloods are fine. Even thyroid medication doesn't improve anything so I am skeptical, but considering what @Xisca said, I could be hormone resistant somehow.

OP
ATP

ATP

How many calories do you eat?
I can maintain on a 1000 calories but on average I would say around 1000-1300 a day depending on how much I force myself to eat. I have tried eating a lot more food but I feel worse when I do and put on a lot of weight really quick.

raypeatclips

I can maintain on a 1000 calories but on average I would say around 1000-1300 a day depending on how much I force myself to eat. I have tried eating a lot more food but I feel worse when I do and put on a lot of weight really quick.

There is your problem. You really do need to eat more than 1000 calories a day.

OP
ATP

ATP

Sorry but you're wrong. You should really read my original post. I have eaten in a massive calorie surplus and it did not make me feel better. I have ended up here at this current diet because this is where I feel best, even though I still feel like absolute ***t.

For me, simply eating more calories does not increase my metabolism or alleviate my severe fatigue.

raypeatclips

Sorry but you're wrong. You should really read my original post. I have eaten in a massive calorie surplus and it did not make me feel better. I have ended up here at this current diet because this is where I feel best, even though I still feel like absolute ***t.

For me, simply eating more calories does not increase my metabolism or alleviate my severe fatigue.

I think it would take several weeks at a significantly higher calorie level to notice any changes, but it is possible I am wrong.

DankMemes

Maybe you need to stick it out for longer. 1000-1300 is simply not enough to support a healthy metabolism for someone your size.

Have you used any drugs like accutane or finastride in the past? Do you have a history of low carb/cal dieting? Are you taking any supplements or foods that may suppress metabolism?

I found that no matter how good my diet, i didnt properly heal until i reduced stress in other areas of my life. The mentality that you're sick/unhealthy with hypo metabolism is probably a stress in itself.

OP
ATP

ATP

I think it would take several weeks at a significantly higher calorie level to notice any changes, but it is possible I am wrong.
I didn't always eat such a low calorie diet. I ended up here by slowly decreasing, I seem to have the most energy around this level of calories for some reason. I remember reading a quote from Peat a while back stating that for some people, calorie restricted diets preserves their metabolism. I think this is what I experience because when I increase my caloric intake I feel worse. Maybe this is all I am capable of digesting and utilizing at the moment.