Can't Find Much Discussion On Onions Or Garlic

Swandattur

Some of the hot ones taste good if the hot doesn't overwhelm your mouth before you taste it. Other ones don't taste very good except combined with certain foods and other spices. Cinnamon tastes good on it's own.

jaa

pboy said:
im sort of just poking fun...onions grilling sometimes smell pretty good...but I can't think of who or why would have originally eaten raw spices and been like...'mmm, lets start adding something that burns and stinks to our food!"...alas

I find this puzzling as a person who finds spice to enhance flavour. One theory goes that spicey foods come from warmer climates as a way to battle parasites and bacteria.

Amazoniac

In my opinion they are fine, it just depends on how you prepare and a bit on your intestinal microbiome, they are highly fermentable in raw form.

Charlie, I guess the irritation might occur only if tested raw. Cooking destroys a lot of toxins.
Almost all gourmet cousines use fried garlic and onions, never raw.

Like in the 'Green Vegetables' thread by Tara, if consumed raw, it's best to rotate due to toxins.

Messtafarian, Turmeric is relatively high in iron, I'm mentioning because it's a recurrent concern here. But for me it's not a problem at all. It's only going to be a problem if your intake is already too high or you are not eliminating efficiently.
Also check:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.102 ... 4.40260.70

OP
M

messtafarian

Thanks for that answer, Amazoniac. I have "dangerously" low tested iron - not one of my issues but could definitely be someone else's. :)

BibleBeliever

Mustard has goitrogens, onion and garlic have querticin which inhibits or makes more difficult the thyroids job of absorbing iodine,

The flavonoid quercetin inhibits thyroid-restricted genes expression and thyroid function. - PubMed - NCBI

Very interesting piece of information on querticin. I was have 1 clove of raw garlic daily. I would crush it and let it set in water for 10 minutes for the enzymes to activate. I took it to help with some stomach ailments, it worked for that, but after about 15 days at 1 clove a day I noticed tingling in the hands. Low thyroid is linked to this. After I stopped the raw garlic this tingling gradually went away. I am thinking that perhaps that raw garlic was the culprit by inhibiting the thyroid.
After about 10 days it really burned the throat going down.

This link here although with little citation: Health Foods that Lower Thyroid Function | Vital Health Newsletter Archives
Brings about the idea that the more sulphur you consume the more iodine you need and even iron. Low iron is linked to hypothyroidism, although there is debate whether that is just a symptom or not; I have read the discussions on here. Nevertheless if it be true in certain cases than this even further exasperates the thyroid inhibiting effect of too much raw garlic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals