Cannot Stand “artificial” Odors

R J

ok, I cannot stand “air-fresheners” like febreeze, new car or furniture smells are disgusting, new building materials smell toxic, and someone wearing strong perfume grosses me out. For some reason light cologne doesn’t bother me.

But I can get a face full of my dog’s farts, or get a big whiff of raw green beef tripe (if you smell it you know what I’m talking about) and even if it’s so strong it almost makes me gag, it doesn’t “bother” me like an air freshener does. The febreeze my dad sprays around instead of opening a window for 5 minutes, causes me more distress.

Psychosomatic? Maybe I know these toxic air fresheners are bad for me so I am reviled by them semi-consciously. I don’t know. I just wish instead of spraying that awful smelling crap around they’d just open a window or let the diffuser with some non-offensive essential oil run. A little orange essence is far better than whatever “pure waterfall” concoction the scientists at proctor-gamble came up with.

Sometimes a somewhat attractive girl will walk by outside and I’ll catch a whiff of her perfume and I’ll be absolutely revolted. I’d be less turned off by a fart.

What makes it worse is if I bring it up I think someone will mention how I smoke tobacco. But an organic hand rolled tobacco cigarette in unbleached paper does not smell bad. My neighbor smokes commercial cigs and they smell different.

Last edited:

Comstock

I feel the same way.

It wasn't always like this. It became noticeable, and then soon unbearable after some acute exposure to airborne toxins - unfiltered cigarette smoke while sleeping, paint VOCs, dryer sheet smells, etc.

If I manage to avoid things that make me feel distressed when I smell them though, I'm able to maintain a sense of euphoria, and I function really well physically and mentally. Sometimes I think that before I started explicitly noticing these chemicals and toxins, they were just damaging me without me realizing it. Back then, euphoria was pretty infrequent, and I think it was just because my senses weren't alerting me to a suboptimal environment.

I don't discount the possibility, however, that I am just damaged, and my threshold for these types of stresses are lower. Ray has said something to that extent in the last Herb Doctors interview. Maybe I would be better off if I didn't notice these things.

And don't forget the abomination that is the 'scented' candle :eek:

Nighteyes

I’m totally the same, dude. So sensitive to any synthetic smell, that it’s not even funny. I dont buy new clothes or furniture for that same reason. New clothes need to be GOTS and washed a couple times before use. Used clothes are actually even worse, because thrift shops treat all their clothes with the strongest detergents imaginable and that stuff is IMPOSSIBLE to wash out.
Perfumes make me so uncomfortable as well. Gross ***t. Why does anyone put that ***t on their body. Same goes for hair products. Maybe it has to do with our detox pathways being blocked (liver/lymph). The body instinctively knows it cannot rid itself of these toxic compounds contained in the odors, so it signals to stay the hell away. Bought a new couch earlier this year that I had to sell again. I could smell it off-gassing everyday. Gross. Now back to my used, real leather couch.

I’d take a steady flow of glorious, natural farts any day over a chemically treated couch any day as well.

bogbody

Same here. Artificial fragrance of any kind is completely nauseating to me and in worst cases can trigger a migraine.

sugarbabe

I can't stand fragrance either!!! My pet peeve is fabric softener. I can smell that from a mile away. It's smell pollution. I don't really get symptoms from it though. Unless it's offgassing particle board. That stuff is absolutely toxic for everyone not just sensitive people.

Nighteyes

Unless it's offgassing particle board.

what is This? Not sure I understand. Yes, I can also smell if any person has used fabric softnener and they stand close to me. Awful smell. More a poison in the air than a smell. Strange feeling. I genuinely wonder if these people dont feel the same Way. I suppose not

R J

what is This? Not sure I understand. Yes, I can also smell if any person has used fabric softnener and they stand close to me. Awful smell. More a poison in the air than a smell. Strange feeling. I genuinely wonder if these people dont feel the same Way. I suppose not
OSB aka “particle board” is made by gluing chipped wood to make plywood type sheets, but it’s much lower quality than plywood. It’s used for most construction although I see more builders using better grade plywood instead now. OSB starts to rot faster. Plywood also is made with glue so it offgasses too so I’m not sure how much better it is in practice.

Incen

Multiple chemical sensitivity. Most likely caused by fast phase 1 and slow phase 2 liver enzymes. I think @haidut mentioned in an interview about cortisol being "catatoxic" and increasing the rate of CYP450 (phase 1) enzymes.

You can sort of imagine it like a bucket, phase 1 fills the bucket with water, phase 2 removes the water. When phase 1 is too fast, the bucket overflows and starts leaking into your bloodstream, and these chemicals getting into your brain can produce weird effects.

skittles

I don't mind colognes and perfumes most of the time unless they're particularly sharp and abrasive. But I can't stand air fresheners, scented candles, or any other thing meant to disperse scents throughout the air.