Cane Sugar Vs. Beet Sugar

kYgirl

It is my understanding that beet sugar is made from GMO beets. So I have been avoiding refined white sugar and eating 'sugar in the raw' turbinado sugar because it is made from sugar cane. But then I read that it might have iron in it. Is this the best sugar to be consuming?

boris

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it if you don't feel any differences. Peat says the best[?] refined sugar is from organic beets grown in the upper west of the USA where the water is depleted of deuterium.

I don't know about the raw turbinado sugar. Might have some extra nutrients that could be beneficial. Might be potentially allergenic. The iron content should be miniscule if you consume normal amounts of it or if you use larger amounts to sweeten your coffees (google says 0,7mg per 100g).

Last edited:
I use set honey as a sugar substitute, very nice in coffee :):

Jessie

It's probably better than refined white sugar, provided there's no potential allergens in the unrefined stuff. Personally I've always thought raw unpasteurized honey is the best source of sugar. It's got a generous supply of free fructose that isn't bound to the sucrose molecule. But again, context is everything. If someone is allergic to honey then refined sugar is a good alternative. I agree with Danny Roddy that white sugar should be seen as a supplement, not a food. My favorite go-to sources for sweeteners is raw honey, agave nectar, and blended unsulfured dates. I've also heard of people actually juicing the sugar cane plant, that is probably good too.

Jam

I've always been curious to try it. I can't seem to find it where I'm from (Tennessee) :(

Just make a tea with Panela, not too hard to find (it's even available on Amazon). Panela is evaporated sugar cane juice.

CecilRoids

I have a relative that works at the main sugar factory in Alberta, Canada; it depends where the beets come from. At least in Alberta the beets are non-GMO, even the non-organic stuff.

At the factory they process several sources of sugar including cane, he says that it is near impossible to completely refine cane sugar; it always ends up with some fiber left in it, and he says the filtration mechanisms are left incredibly dirty afterwards. In contrast, he says beet sugar is probably the cleanest, purest, most easily refineable sugar you can get.

So take that for what it's worth, but since I learned that and what Dr. Peat has said about beet sugar, I just started buying Roger's standard beet sugar... it's saved me a lot of money too.

OP
K

kYgirl

Thanks for all the advice. My face has been breaking out a lot. I thought it was the dairy, so I stopped it for a couple of weeks. But it didn’t seem to help. I am going to switch to beet sugar and see what happens.

Vileplume

Thanks for all the advice. My face has been breaking out a lot. I thought it was the dairy, so I stopped it for a couple of weeks. But it didn’t seem to help. I am going to switch to beet sugar and see what happens.
Hey kYgirl, this was a while ago but did you notice any difference between the beet sugar and cane?