Candy Does Not Cause Childhood Obesity

lindsay

If it did, I would have been a very obese child (I've had a sweet tooth for pure candy from a young age). I was no skinny minnie, but I was full of energy as a kid (wish I could steal a portion of that now). It would be interesting to compare "candy" eating kids with those who preferred baked goods and such (which are usually made with margarine or vegetable oils).

OP
L

lollipop

If it did, I would have been a very obese child (I've had a sweet tooth for pure candy from a young age). I was no skinny minnie, but I was full of energy as a kid (wish I could steal a portion of that now). It would be interesting to compare "candy" eating kids with those who preferred baked goods and such (which are usually made with margarine or vegetable oils).
That is what I think as well @lindsay - cakes donuts - bad oils (PUFA) that is true real problem. This was nice to see the study - the one Lone Ranger out there these days ;)

NathanK

Though sweets was limited to "save my appetite for dinner", growing up i couldnt get enough sweets and i was always lean and very muscular.

Im with you that childhood obesity prob lies in the oils/cakes and ignited by a stress catalyst. Most kids can probably burn off most PUFA as they ingest them if not too excessive.

Of course it doesn't because sugar doesn't convert into fat. Fat does. Obese kids don't just eat candy, they eat fatty foods too.