Candida Overgrowth Is A Major Factor In (alcoholic) Liver Damage / Cirrhosis

haidut

Forum Supporter
Over the last 5 years or so it has become very fashionable among many "naturopaths" to throw the diagnosis "Candida overgrowth" at every symptom of gut dysfunction people present with at the doctor. Peat has spoken about Candida overgrowth and how the fungus typically only becomes an issue in people with suppressed immune systems or people on low-carb diets attempting to starve the fungus.
This study shows that Candida can in fact contribute to the development of alcoholic liver disease and its effects can be blocked by administering an anti-fungal agent. Another interesting finding is that the Candida overgrowth was caused by alcohol abuse itself, due to reduced bacterial count and reduced diversity of remaining bacteria in the gut of alcoholics. In addition, alcohol increased the permeability of the intestine and the absorption of beta-glucans into the bloodstream. The beta-glucans are the fungal equivalent of bacterial endotoxin (LPS) and are found in some bacteria as well. Perhaps more importantly, the beta-glucans are also agonists of the infamour TLR4 receptor, which has been implicated in virtually all liver/gut conditions. All in all, it looks like the mechanism for liver damage is virtually the same as in bacterial endotoxin - alcohol increases intestinal permeability and endotoxin levels in the blood, which then reaches the liver through the portal system and causes chronic inflammation via activation of TLR4, and ultimately liver fibrosis.
Given charcoal's anti-fungal (as well as anti-bacterial) effects, it could serve the same purpose as the anti-fungal medication and protect against endotoxin. Alternatively, a TLR4 antagonist could also help mitigate the inflammatory damage exerted by these fungal byproducts. Some OTC anti-fungal remedies include methylene blue, niacinamide, and aspirin and incidentally all 3 have shown beneficial effects in various liver pathologies.

JCI - Intestinal fungi contribute to development of alcoholic liver disease

"...Commensal fungi have important functions in health, but alterations in the intestinal mycobiota have been associated with disease (8, 31). Our study links compositional changes of the intestinal mycobiota to progression of alcoholic liver disease. Chronic alcohol abuse is associated with fungal dysbiosis in mice and humans. Fungal cell wall components, mainly β-glucan, translocate from the intestinal lumen to extraintestinal spaces that include the liver. Binding of β-glucan to CLEC7A on Kupffer cells and possibly other bone marrow–derived cells promotes alcoholic liver disease by inducing hepatic inflammation, ultimately leading to steatosis and cell death of hepatocytes. Preventing fungal overgrowth protects mice from ethanol-induced liver disease (Figure 7). In our human cohort, the degree of exposure to fungal products correlates with mortality of patients with cirrhosis from alcohol abuse but not viral hepatitis. Although a larger, prospective study is required to confirm data from our retrospective analysis of a human cohort with a relatively small number of patients, our findings support the importance of the mycobiota for patients with alcoholic liver disease."

"...We have identified a cross-talk between bacterial and fungal pathogen-associated molecular patterns (PAMPs) during alcoholic liver disease. Hepatic IRAK3, a negative regulator of TLR signaling (24), was increased after reduction of an alcohol-associated increase in intestinal fungi. IRAK3-deficient mice are more susceptible to alcohol-induced liver injury (39). This indicates that in the absence of fungal PAMPs, bacterial signaling through TLRs and MYD88 is inhibited. A synergism between bacterial and fungal PAMPs is necessary for development of ethanol-induced liver disease."

"...Our study demonstrates an important role of fungal dysbiosis in the development of alcoholic liver disease. We found that antifungal drugs prevented ethanol-induced steatohepatitis in mice. This therapeutic strategy can easily be translated into clinical practice, because oral amphotericin B has no systemic side effects and is well tolerated by patients. Alcohol-associated fungal dysbiosis in humans is characterized by a large increase in Candida, which is susceptible to amphotericin B. The effects of this drug should be tested in patients with alcohol-related liver disease, who are in urgent need of new therapeutics. Manipulation of the intestinal mycobiome might be an effective strategy for attenuation of alcohol-related liver disease."

TubZy

Also, naltrexone. It is a TLR4 antagonist as well along with other mechanisms of being anti inflammatory let alone being a strong immune modulator. The only reason it popped in my head is because I have been experimenting with it this week.

What also makes sense is that naltrexone is also used for alcohol withdrawals...

beachbum

If I heard it correctly on a radio interview with RP that he mentions flowers of sulfur for candida and maybe something else too.

edit: I found this:

Last edited:

Lucenzo01

Keep this in mind: everything that it's good for health is antifungal in some way. The best way to check if you have candida is measuring your levels of beta-alanina in the blood. If it's high, you have Candida overgrowth. I would bet that 95% of people have Candida if not more. Antibiotics are killing us and it's the worst face of the Peaty world.

Tarmander

Anyone know Peats take on beta glucans? They are found in yeast like this study shows, but I know they are also found in oat meal and mushrooms, but perhaps there are different kinds? Would be curious if anyone has ever heard him say anything about those. Haidut?

Dobbler

Many people at different forums have managed to "cure" candida with zero fat fruitarian diet (10/10/80). I wonder if Peat diet with 0 fat could do the same. Mby it has something to do with PUFA.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Also, naltrexone. It is a TLR4 antagonist as well along with other mechanisms of being anti inflammatory let alone being a strong immune modulator. The only reason it popped in my head is because I have been experimenting with it this week.

What also makes sense is that naltrexone is also used for alcohol withdrawals...

Yes, thanks. Naltrexone is also a great option.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If I heard it correctly on a radio interview with RP that he mentions flowers of sulfur for candida and maybe something else too.

That's a great find, thanks. So, towards the end of the excerpt he says that the sulfur can clean the intestine from bacteria as well. I wonder why he does not recommend this as a periodic and safer treatment for gut issues instead of antibiotics??

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Anyone know Peats take on beta glucans? They are found in yeast like this study shows, but I know they are also found in oat meal and mushrooms, but perhaps there are different kinds? Would be curious if anyone has ever heard him say anything about those. Haidut?

I don't know his take on them but they are not much different from LPS as per the study, as they also activate TLR4. Not sure if the dietary sources have the same effect, but I would not load myself up on beta glucans if possible. I know it is promoted as gut cleansing treatment on some blogs, and I think that is dangerous.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Many people at different forums have managed to "cure" candida with zero fat fruitarian diet (10/10/80). I wonder if Peat diet with 0 fat could do the same. Mby it has something to do with PUFA.

If sulfur works as well as Peat claims, then using it for 2-3 days is probably safer and less drastic than going on fat-free diet for a month.

Tarmander

I don't know his take on them but they are not much different from LPS as per the study, as they also activate TLR4. Not sure if the dietary sources have the same effect, but I would not load myself up on beta glucans if possible. I know it is promoted as gut cleansing treatment on some blogs, and I think that is dangerous.
Thanks! Seeing as Ray did not mention the beta glucans in Mushrooms, I am guessing it was not worth worrying about given proper cooking.

Keep this in mind: everything that it's good for health is antifungal in some way. The best way to check if you have candida is measuring your levels of beta-alanina in the blood. If it's high, you have Candida overgrowth. I would bet that 95% of people have Candida if not more. Antibiotics are killing us and it's the worst face of the Peaty world.
o_O

Lucenzo01

"Another interesting finding is that the Candida overgrowth was caused by alcohol abuse itself, due to reduced bacterial count and reduced diversity of remaining bacteria in the gut of alcoholics"

Directly from the study. Antibiotics do exactly the same thing.

"Another interesting finding is that the Candida overgrowth was caused by alcohol abuse itself, due to reduced bacterial count and reduced diversity of remaining bacteria in the gut of alcoholics"

Directly from the study. Antibiotics do exactly the same thing.

So does a beer reach the colon unabsorbed, and gets concentrated into an antibiotic 50% concentration of alcohol?

TubZy

Most of the threads/logs I read on here didn't notice anything from flowers of sulfur, not sure why though

Not only the colon has beneficial bacteria.

But this veers pretty sharply from Ray Peat ideas... are you only here for the anti Candida parts? For example, Ray Peat likes tetracyclines for more than their antibiotic action.

beta pandemic

I take Artemisinin as a cancer preventative...my leukemia is in remission, and I have absolutely no gut problems...it seems effective for sibo, chrons, etc etc....and candida...I like multi purpose stuff.

Artemisinins, New Miconazole Potentiators Resulting in Increased Activity against Candida albicans Biofilms

are you suggesting a link between infections (including candida) and cancer?

Dont want to derail the thread but I'd like to know what dose you took and for how long. This is huge and could help a lot of people. maybe make a thread