Candida And Fruit/Sugar

TNT

Do people have issues with sugar and candida? In particular, sugar from fruit? I was low-carb for many years, and I had major health issues, but I figured low-carb was helping me. But then last year, I did the unthinkable -- I went on a fruitarian diet. I didn't quite do 80/10/10, but more like 75/12/13, and I wasn't entirely vegan -- I used colostrum, which I need for my immunity. I felt amazing -- much better sleep, tons of energy, I was able to finally build muscle, etc. Who would have thought that fruit would do that? But I started losing my hair (which had been a problem even before fruitarian, but it got waaaay worse after I started eating fruit). Since my hair loss has gone up and down over the years, I figured this may not be due to fruitarian (it could just be its normal variability), but it was just getting worse and worse, so I figured I was probably having nutritional deficiencies, and I stopped the fruitarian diet after 8 months, but still continued to eat one fruit meal per day.

It's been 9 months now that I'm back to eating a non-fruitarian diet (with one fruit meal per day, so about 1/3 of my calories are from fruit), and the hair loss hasn't gotten better -- it's only continued getting worse. Suspecting candida as a major contributor to this, I've been doing candida treatments, and they seem to help in reducing my hair loss, but as soon as I stop treating, the hair loss increases again, which tells me that candida is a major issue for me in terms of the hair loss.

Here's what I'm wondering -- is fruit making it impossible for me to get my candida under control? I've tried stopping or cutting back on fruit a couple times since all this started, and I feel like ***t without it -- horrible sleep, no energy, etc. So my body is saying it wants fruit, but is it making me have out-of-control candida, or is the candida being stubborn for some other reason? Nowdays, low-carb is all the rage, and fruit/sugar is made out to be a bad guy, esp. for candida. But I'm not sure I buy that.

Anyone have experience with fruit and candida and whether I'm screwing myself up by eating fruit (and therefore sugar from fruit)?

Please note:

1) I am not looking for (or welcoming of) suggestions about hair loss in general. I guarantee you that whatever it is you want to suggest, I've already been down that road. In this thread, I am only looking for a discussion about fruit and candida (as it relates to hair loss).

2) I am not looking for (or welcoming of) suggestions for how to treat candida. I am only looking for a discussion about fruit and candida.

Dave Clark

For me, low carb and sugar didn't solve any candida issues. What helped me is doing ozone treatments in the 40 to 50 gamma range, which is the range that starts to kill fungus, etc. I had done 30 gamma for months but nothing changed, read an article on ozone usage and gamma settings and found out I needed to up the strength. That worked. You can also try things that prevent the candida from morphing from the yeast to the fungal form, which makes it easier to control, like gymena sylvestra (an ayervedic herb) which had shown to work in a Kansas university study. I am sure there are others. Trial and era, try everything, but do your homework so that you don't end up making your health worse in an attempt to kill candida.

jet9

For me, low carb and sugar didn't solve any candida issues. What helped me is doing ozone treatments in the 40 to 50 gamma range, which is the range that starts to kill fungus, etc. I had done 30 gamma for months but nothing changed, read an article on ozone usage and gamma settings and found out I needed to up the strength. That worked. You can also try things that prevent the candida from morphing from the yeast to the fungal form, which makes it easier to control, like gymena sylvestra (an ayervedic herb) which had shown to work in a Kansas university study. I am sure there are others. Trial and era, try everything, but do your homework so that you don't end up making your health worse in an attempt to kill candida.
Never heard of ozone treatments, could you tell more? Where to buy, cost, etc.

Dave Clark

Well, there is a lot to tell, but you can start by doing searches on ozone therapy, there is tons of information. For me, Promolife is the best bet for purchasing ozone equipment, etc., plus they are very helpful if you call them. Dr. Robert Rowen is one of the premier ozone doctors, search his site for info and testimonials. In a nutshell, ozone is O3 which can kill microbes like fungus, yet stimulates the healthy cells to produce internal antioxidants like glutathione, SOD, etc. Cost, a good medical ozone generator will cost about 1k, plus some accessories. A valuable home tool for battling microbes and oxygenating your system.

zewe

Candida will make you crave sugar. Below some low sugar fruits. I think RP doesn't like fruits with seeds....but make up your own mind.

Here are 10 Low Sugar Fruits:

Strawberries-
Grams of Fructose: 1.9 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 3 grams for 1/2 cup

strawberries-150x150.jpg

Raspberries-
Grams of Fructose: 1.5 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 4 grams for 1/2 cup

raspberries-150x150.jpg

Blackberries-
Grams of Fructose: 1.7 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 5 grams for 1/2 cup

blackberries-150x150.jpg

Cranberries-
Grams of Fructose: .35 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 3.5 grams for 1/2 cup

cranberries-150x150.jpg

Cantaloupe-
Grams of Fructose: 2.8 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 5 grams for 1/2 cup

Canteloupe-150x150.jpg

Honey Dew Melon
Grams of Fructose: 6.7 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 7 grams for 1/2 cup

Honey-dew-150x150.jpg

Plums
Grams of Fructose: 3 grams for 1 plum, Net Carbs: 7.5 grams for 1 plum

plums-150x150.jpg

Peaches
Grams of Fructose: 5 grams for 1 peach, Net Carbs: 6 grams for 1 peach

Peaches-150x150.jpg

Blueberries
Grams of Fructose: 3.5 grams for 1/2 cup, Net Carbs: 8 grams 1/2 cup

blueberrie-150x150.jpg

Green Apples
Grams of Fructose: 3.5 grams for 1/2 apple, Net Carbs: 8 grams for 1/2 apple

green-apples-150x150.jpg

You could add kiwis and rhubarb too.

Ella

Forum Supporter
@Dave Clark, ozone therapy has been around for 150 years and I agree is an awesome therapy against infectious agents and activating the immune system. You do need to be careful on how to administer, though.

How did you use; ears, rectally or other?

Travis

Do people have issues with sugar and candida? In particular, sugar from fruit? I was low-carb for many years, and I had major health issues, but I figured low-carb was helping me. But then last year, I did the unthinkable -- I went on a fruitarian diet. I didn't quite do 80/10/10, but more like 75/12/13, and I wasn't entirely vegan -- I used colostrum, which I need for my immunity. I felt amazing -- much better sleep, tons of energy, I was able to finally build muscle, etc. Who would have thought that fruit would do that? But I started losing my hair (which had been a problem even before fruitarian, but it got waaaay worse after I started eating fruit). Since my hair loss has gone up and down over the years, I figured this may not be due to fruitarian (it could just be its normal variability), but it was just getting worse and worse, so I figured I was probably having nutritional deficiencies, and I stopped the fruitarian diet after 8 months, but still continued to eat one fruit meal per day.

It's been 9 months now that I'm back to eating a non-fruitarian diet (with one fruit meal per day, so about 1/3 of my calories are from fruit), and the hair loss hasn't gotten better -- it's only continued getting worse. Suspecting candida as a major contributor to this, I've been doing candida treatments, and they seem to help in reducing my hair loss, but as soon as I stop treating, the hair loss increases again, which tells me that candida is a major issue for me in terms of the hair loss.

Here's what I'm wondering -- is fruit making it impossible for me to get my candida under control? I've tried stopping or cutting back on fruit a couple times since all this started, and I feel like ***t without it -- horrible sleep, no energy, etc. So my body is saying it wants fruit, but is it making me have out-of-control candida, or is the candida being stubborn for some other reason? Nowdays, low-carb is all the rage, and fruit/sugar is made out to be a bad guy, esp. for candida. But I'm not sure I buy that.

Anyone have experience with fruit and candida and whether I'm screwing myself up by eating fruit (and therefore sugar from fruit)?

Please note:

1) I am not looking for (or welcoming of) suggestions about hair loss in general. I guarantee you that whatever it is you want to suggest, I've already been down that road. In this thread, I am only looking for a discussion about fruit and candida (as it relates to hair loss).

2) I am not looking for (or welcoming of) suggestions for how to treat candida. I am only looking for a discussion about fruit and candida.

Sucrose is a growth factor for C. albicans, yet each of its monosaccharides have disparate potency: Fructose can be shown to stimulate yeast growth, yet glucose significantly more so. lactose has very little effect and xylitol none at all. The Candida cell wall is strengthened by chitin, a linear cellulose-like polysaccharide having resistant β-links. Chitin is composed of repeating units of N-acetylglucosamine, a monosaccharide even more powerful than glucose at inducing growth. Acetylglucosamine has been shown to induce a veritable Candida bloom, both in vitro and in vivo, and were glucose considered a 'growth factor' this wouldn't be anything less than a 'growth agent.' In fact, it's actually been termed a 'hormone' by some researchers due to Candida having receptors for such, in which it uses to sense and respond-to it's N-acetylglucosamine status.

The enzyme used by C. albicans to catalyze the synthesis of N-acetylglucosamine relies on two substrates: glucose and glutamine. Glutamine acts like a growth factor, working in synergy with glucose to exponentially-increase chitin synthesis rates. The combination of both glucose and glutamine would be nearly synonymous with the elongation of hyphae, capable of invasively probing it's way through the interstices found between mammalian cells. Wheat proteins are particularly high in glutamine, and since starch is 100% glucose I'd nominate that as the #1 worst food. If I had to rate foods according to apparent Candida-enhancing ability, wheat would define the scale's upper limit.

Tomatoes are remarkably high in free glutamine, having more than enough to warrant their avoidance. Plants store excess nitrogen either as asparagine or glutamine, used for future seed germination as an accessible and convenient store of nitrogen. The majority of foods derive from asparagine-storing plants, yet there are a few glutamine-storing genera to avoid. Although corn, legumes, and many tree nuts have inconsequential glutamine concentrations, they all have an extremely high-glucose/fructose ratio (undefined at certain limits of detection).

Fruits would then appear better than starchy seeds, yet raw cheese would define that safety scale. Lactose is a safer monosaccharide in this respect, and unheated milk ought to still have active lactoperoxidase. When combined with iodide ions (I⁻) also found in milk, lactoperoxidase produces the powerful hypoiodite ion (IO⁻). The lactoperoxidase enzymatic system is what best accounts for the antibacterial properties of raw milk, and hypoiodite (IO⁻) is even more effective against yeast. Neutrophils have a similar enzyme that does the same, which is surely the reason why oral potassium iodide has been shown effective against Candida.

Nuts have neither glucose nor glutamine and thus could be assumed safe, yet only superficially: Most tree nuts have substantial concentrations of omega−6 fatty acids. Mammals lack the ability to synthesize this class of lipid, yet both yeast and helminths do this. Not only can they synthesize this class of fatty acid, yeast will produce and release them in the body. Linoleic (18∶2ω−6), γ-linolenic (18∶3ω−6), and arachidonic acids (20∶4ω−6) and all found in yeast culture fluid and in humans, the latter is the precursor for leukotriene B₄. This arachidonic acid product had been discovered due to it's remarkable ability to attract neutrophils, coincidentally the very cell type most-effective against yeast. Yet: leukotrienes are released by mammalian immune cells to attract eachother, and by eating it's precursor lipid—i.e. linoleic acid (18∶2ω−6)—leukotriene B₄ is produced. Enhanced circulating levels of leukotriene B₄ could dilute the signal emitted by yeast cells, causing enough background noise to white out yeast cell location. A Candida albicans cell inside an omega−6-deficient mammal would be a veritable beacon for neutrophils, the most potent anti-candidal immune cell.

The safety of fruits varies in accordance with its fructose/glucose ratio and its general concentration. Fruit has a ratio of 50∶50, on average, yet can be found with anything from 40∶60 up to 70∶30 (e.g. a Fiji apple). The only exception I know of is the banana, the one common fruit being practically all glucose. Glutamine excludes tomatoes and glucose the banana, and when eaten together they would provide the two N-acetylglucosamine precursors—or chitin monomers—in high amounts. Wheat would as well, yet also has omega−6 fatty acids.

Elephanto

what about glutamine in the absence of high blood glucose levels?

Glutamine doesn't seem to be a relevant positive factor to Candida growth in reality, here's why.

Relationship between absolute and relative ratios of glutamate, glutamine and GABA and severity of autism spectrum disorder. - PubMed - NCBI
significantly lower levels of plasma glutamine and glutamate/GABA ratios compared to controls.

New evidences on the altered gut microbiota in autism spectrum disorders
the relative abundance of the fungal genus Candida was more than double in the autistic than neurotypical subjects

Lack of glutamine (or the enzyme that converts glutamate into glutamine) is probably a factor in Candida growth since an healthy gut, not affected by permeability, probably doesn't allow the overgrowth of Candida.

Elephanto

Thank you, @Elephanto . So why does RP recommend fruit juice?

Because nobody has absolute knowledge. Because this forum's motto is "Perceive, think, act", not "Blindly follow dogmas". We must build upon the foundation of pioneers, always question perceived truths to get closer to the actual truth. This is how we got to find Peat in the first place. To me, the most solid part of his foundation is high carbs, low fat (and close to no pufa), the restriction of deleterious amino acids, importance of CO2, high metabolism and the avoidance of stress.

tara

My personal experience with something I think was candida was that eating a low sugar (but highish starch) diet did not coincide with improvement. Eating more fruit and more sugar did.
Lots of other things changed too, so I'm not assuming that was causal. Could have been that I started eating more sugar at the same time that I radically reduced PUFA for instance.

Travis

Despite the title, this is not an experimental article like I'd imagined. This article had been ostensibly constructed primarily out of extrapolations gained from high fat + high fructose rat feeding studies, and also has silly cartoon images [Fig. 6].

Fructose is converted into saturated fatty acids in the liver where glucose is preferentially stored as glycogen. Glycogen adsorbs H₂O and takes-up far more space than an isocaloric amount of triglycerides, and is a polysaccharide stored in the extracellular space. Does anyone know why 'starch eaters' generally have that plumped-up look? Is that fat?. . or is that glycogen?

Or is it from chronically high levels of insulin?. . that pancreatic hormone only released by glucose, not fructose.

Last edited:

Elephanto

Despite the title, this is not an experimental article like I'd imagined. This article had been ostensibly constructed primarily out of extrapolations gained from high fat + high fructose rat feeding studies, and also has silly cartoon images [Fig. 6].

Fructose is converted into free saturated fatty acids in the liver where glucose is preferentially stored as glycogen. Glycogen adsorbs H₂O and takes-up far more space than an isocaloric amount of triglycerides, a polysaccharide stored in the extracellular space. Does anyone know why 'starch eaters' generally have that plumped-up look? Is that fat?. . or is that glycogen?

By starch eaters, you refer to gluten eaters. Which causes intestinal permeability and sticks to the gut like literal glue decaying there. With a youtube search of fruitarian vlogs you'll find plenty of people with unhealthy looks though.

There are several studies on fructose's mechanism of affecting gut permeability, external to fat intake. You could make a pubmed search. Another one :
Fructokinase, Fructans, Intestinal Permeability, and Metabolic Syndrome: An Equine Connection?

OP
T

TNT

@Elephanto , so if fruit causes NAFLD and other problems, and he's recommending high carb (and avoiding starch), then how are we supposed to get our carbs?

Elephanto

@Elephanto , so if fruit causes NAFLD and other problems, and he's recommending high carb (and avoiding starch), then how are we supposed to get our carbs?

He sees starch as inferior, not something to be avoided at all cost. From my research and experience, I think that properly washed/drained white basmati rice mixed with antibacterial substances like olive/coconut oil and herbs/spices like ginger, salt, etc is the healthiest source of carbs.

@Travis
About your point on insulin, have you ever thought about the fact that those people you refer to also eat a high fat diet which causes insulin resistance, and a high protein diet whose amino acids directly trigger insulin. Both of those macros in quantities never seen in history when diabetes was essentially inexistent and an almost exclusively starchy diet was the norm. Still is in many healthy countries/communities that eat low fat low protein low (or 0) sugar like the blue zones.

Travis

About your point on insulin, have you ever thought about the fact that those people you refer to also eat a high fat diet which causes insulin resistance,
I was considering the differential physical properties between polysaccharide and lipid, and which one accounts for more physical volume in 'starch eaters' and people in general. Hyaluronic acid is one other extracellular polysaccharide, and one that is injected clinically and specifically for its plumping effect volumetric enhancement.
and a high protein diet whose amino acids directly trigger insulin.
Which amino acids do this? Are these the Krebs Cycle ones?
Both of those macros in quantities never seen in history when diabetes was essentially inexistent and an almost exclusively starchy diet was the norm.
I would certainly agree that low intakes of ω−6 fatty acids would better maintain transmembrane glucose flux and thus decrease the volume of stored glycogen. Glycogen storage isn't of course exclusively pathological, and native and less-refined starches are no doubt absorbed more slowly (Volkheimer, 1974).

OP
T

TNT

Would black seed oil (which is supposed to be very antifungal) be as bad as the rest of the Omega-6-containing oils?