Cancer Mortality Rates Appalachia (From Lowest To Highest)

Steve

I was googling breast cancer in Appalachia after reading Peat's statement below, and I found it very strange. Rural Appalachians did have the lowest cancer mortality as Peat stated, but then after 1995 they had the highest rates. Any ideas how they could go from lowest to highest?

"Since the "normal science" in these authoritarian settings is dedicated to evading the truth, it becomes almost a guide to where to look for the truth. It's sort of analogous to the "mystery" of why breast cancer mortality is lowest in the poorest part of the U.S., Appalachia, and highest in the richest regions: the medical industry goes where the money is, taking death with it. Science, like health, thrives on the neglect of the corrupt industry."

I found this info today:
Results: Rural Appalachians had the lowest cancer mortality rates in the country in the 1970s, but the disparity had reversed direction and they had the highest rates after 1995.
http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/jco.2015.33.15_suppl.e12632

haidut

Forum Supporter
I was googling breast cancer in Appalachia after reading Peat's statement below, and I found it very strange. Rural Appalachians did have the lowest cancer mortality as Peat stated, but then after 1995 they had the highest rates. Any ideas how they could go from lowest to highest?

"Since the "normal science" in these authoritarian settings is dedicated to evading the truth, it becomes almost a guide to where to look for the truth. It's sort of analogous to the "mystery" of why breast cancer mortality is lowest in the poorest part of the U.S., Appalachia, and highest in the richest regions: the medical industry goes where the money is, taking death with it. Science, like health, thrives on the neglect of the corrupt industry."

I found this info today:
Results: Rural Appalachians had the lowest cancer mortality rates in the country in the 1970s, but the disparity had reversed direction and they had the highest rates after 1995.

I think there was a federal program that was instituted in the 1960s or 1970s aimed at bringing health care to those regions. One of the benchmarks was to reach the same number of annual preventing checkups per capita in that region as the national average (or something along those lines). It may have been part of the whole Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) initiative that Trump proposes to remove entirely in his new budget but I am not completely sure. The ARC was established in 1965 and a lot of the health efforts were in the 1970s and 1980s. So, by the 1990s the region probably had access to as much medica "preventive" "care" as the average US citizen.
Access to Care: Overcoming the Rural Physician Shortage - Appalachian Regional Commission
If anybody has more info on the matter please share.
Anyways, judging by the numbers they "succeeded" in their goals :-(

Last edited:

Regina

I found this info today:
I lived for a few years in the mountains in Pawling NY. Indeed, appalachian trail went through my back yard. Literally ALL of the men in that area hunted. Deer are everywhere. Wild turkeys too. Most families had a few chickens. Many had goats, a couple cows and lambs and all had vegetable gardens. There were a lot of swedes and lutherans up in these hills. They ate a lot of blueberries and apples and loved sugar too.
Right around yr 2000, an On-The-Run Mobile gas station went in at the bottom on the hill. It had a convenience store with unlimited fountain drinks, a Blimpie sandwich station and, of course, ***t-tons of junk food. It was such a stark contrast. Like disneyland to these hill people. This store alone changed many people's entire lives in their relation to food. Over the next couple of years, a dunkin donuts went in, a Subway (more junk sandwiches) and a big modern grocery store. The swedish couple next to me (who built their own house and mine) finally died. She was 106. He followed her 1 year later at 102. Neither had the least bit of dementia. He was still hunting deer at 100 but, of course, was devastated when he lost his wife. At 106, Anna was still baking me sugar cookies, dressing nicely and walking the cookies with a bowl of berries she had just picked over to my house (across extremely rugged terrain - about 10 acres away). They had no surliness about them and both had excellent posture until they passed.
They were not a-typical. I asked in town and was told, "Oh yeah, there's load of them people up on the hills that have been there forever. They never die. They never come into town."
Moral of the story is not to be a luddite. But clearly, the drastic change in diet is the cause of the dramatic reversed direction in health.

And, of course, there is no municipal water.

x-ray peat

This lines up with what's called the Hispanic Paradox. Hispanic immigrants legal and illegal have higher life spans than the rest of the population despite their relative poverty. Doctor's pretend that they don't know why but its obvious that immigrants who cant speak the language very well and don't typically have access to health care are not propagandized to get a pill or see a doctor for every little symptom. I am sure that they are eating their traditional foods as well and not living on big gulps and corn dogs. This advantage drops away after the first generation.

Lilac

At 106, Anna was still baking me sugar cookies, dressing nicely and walking the cookies with a bowl of berries she had just picked over to my house (across extremely rugged terrain - about 10 acres away). They had no surliness about them and both had excellent posture until they passed.
They were not a-typical. I asked in town and was told, "Oh yeah, there's load of them people up on the hills that have been there forever. They never die. They never come into town."
Moral of the story is not to be a luddite. But clearly, the drastic change in diet is the cause of the dramatic reversed direction in health.

And, of course, there is no municipal water.

Love this story! Thank you.

Way back in my foodie days, I remember a post about Subway on the Chowhounds boards. Someone said something like, their prices are low because they use they use the cheapest, lowest-quality ingredients. I'm also thinking of the recent story about the Subway "chicken" being found to have a large soy percentage.

zztr

I am sure that they are eating their traditional foods as well and not living on big gulps and corn dogs.

Nothing lifestyle related about any immigrant hispanic group in america would lend to better health outcomes. They drink a lot and tend to obesity. I think they have lower rates of smoking.

OP
S

Steve

Interesting stuff!
So if part of the reason for the data is more preventive care is it because the doctors are "treating" people for cancers/tumors that would have gone unnoticed & would have possibly caused no problem?
If that's the case you would think the numbers would stay the same. They would help some people who actually needed help, and harm other people who would have never known any better.
But if the "treatments" we have here are really that bad then maybe they are doing mostly harm to both groups........which would be pretty disturbing.

You have to be really careful with our medical system.
I had a Dr appt the other day with a low-level MD at the clinic my company offers to employees. They were supposed to run labs ordered by my Naturopath.
1. She refused to do the thyroid labs my Dr ordered because she didn't agree they were needed yet, & she didn't like the tests.
2. She asked me why I never had a "radioactive iodine uptake test" & looked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't want radiation in my thyroid gland.
3. She then said, "And you didn't just want your thyroid removed when you went hyper" like it was the most reasonable thing in the world to do so.
4. She told me Free T3 & Free T4 were totally useless & the only relevant lab was TSH.
5. I told her I take 1 aspirin per day & she about fell out of her chair & told me there was absolutely no reason to take an aspirin
6. She told me NDT was garbage & inconsistent. I had to spell Westhroid Pure for her 3 times.........she never heard of it.

She was just so incredibly overconfident!
If the doctors they sent to Appalachia are anything like her, May God save them!!!

Regina

Love this story! Thank you.

Way back in my foodie days, I remember a post about Subway on the Chowhounds boards. Someone said something like, their prices are low because they use they use the cheapest, lowest-quality ingredients. I'm also thinking of the recent story about the Subway "chicken" being found to have a large soy percentage.
I know. I was so lucky to live next to this magnificent couple at that time in my life.

Ya Steve. I think that overconfidence is a great fade indicator.

x-ray peat

Nothing lifestyle related about any immigrant hispanic group in america would lend to better health outcomes. They drink a lot and tend to obesity. I think they have lower rates of smoking.
I agree with that. I checked into it some more, and the paradox is seen mainly in older Hispanic immigrants so maybe they are smart enough to avoid the standard American diet, drinking and smoking, as well as avoiding doctors. Hispanic paradox - Wikipedia

Its also seen in infant mortality rates:
“Hispanic immigrants also have a 20% lower infant mortality rate than that of U.S.-born Hispanics, though the latter population usually has a higher income and education, and are much more likely to have health insurance.[15]

Last edited:

x-ray peat

Interesting stuff!
So if part of the reason for the data is more preventive care is it because the doctors are "treating" people for cancers/tumors that would have gone unnoticed & would have possibly caused no problem?
If that's the case you would think the numbers would stay the same. They would help some people who actually needed help, and harm other people who would have never known any better.
But if the "treatments" we have here are really that bad then maybe they are doing mostly harm to both groups........which would be pretty disturbing.

I had a Dr appt the other day with a low-level MD at the clinic my company offers to employees. They were supposed to run labs ordered by my Naturopath.
1. She refused to do the thyroid labs my Dr ordered because she didn't agree they were needed yet, & she didn't like the tests.
2. She asked me why I never had a "radioactive iodine uptake test" & looked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't want radiation in my thyroid gland.
3. She then said, "And you didn't just want your thyroid removed when you went hyper" like it was the most reasonable thing in the world to do so.
4. She told me Free T3 & Free T4 were totally useless & the only relevant lab was TSH.
5. I told her I take 1 aspirin per day & she about fell out of her chair & told me there was absolutely no reason to take an aspirin
6. She told me NDT was garbage & inconsistent. I had to spell Westhroid Pure for her 3 times.........she never heard of it.

If the doctors they sent to Appalachia are anything like her, May God save them!!!
Sadly its that medicine is run as a business and there is no profit to be made from healthy people. You can't really blame the Doctors as they for the most part believe in what they are saying. This is due to years of brainwashing by drug industry sponsored indoctrination. What we call medical school.

Death just from mistakes made by conventional medicine is the third leading cause of death in America so if you avoid hospitals and doctors you are already doing much better than the rest of America. Some say its the leading cause of death. If we included all the deaths from their bad advice, over prescribing and unnecessary procedures, I'm sure it would be in the several millions per year.
Johns Hopkins study suggests medical errors are third-leading cause of death in U.S.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting stuff!

I think your experience with the doctor tells you exactly what happened in Appalachia :): Who do you think was sent there to volunteer in those clinics? The young, inexperienced, overconfident MDs who needed a job to prove themselves and would be able to see a ton of patients and distribute standardized and aggressive treatments without much hesitation or tolerance to dissent.
Anyways, I don't know for sure what happened in Appalachia, but in my entire life on this planet I did not see a single person benefit from going to the doctor to treat a chronic condition. They all got worse. The only benefit from was for acute issues like infection, broken limb or trauma that required surgery. Elective surgery was somewhere in between but mostly did not help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals