Cancer Chemo internal bleeding, help

Soren

Forum Supporter
Hi,

Friend's mum has brain cancer and had been undergoing chemotherapy treatment as well as radiotherapy. I had given them some advice on some things she could take to help combat the cancer such as aspirin, progesterone, vitamin k, magnesium, glycine, methylene blue, niacinamide, pyrucet, liver, shilajit etc.

She seemed to be progressing quite well and the tumors had stopped growing. Unfortunately the past week she appears to have been having bad diarrhea and vomiting which was causing a lot of blood loss. She had to be taken to the hospital where they gave her two bags of blood. I told my friend to be safe it was better to stop taking most of the supplements I had recommended but to keep taking the vitamin K as it could help with the bleeding issues.

She went home from the hospital and was feeling a lot better had a big appetite and ate well, however today she is very tired again and is likely going to have to be brought into the hospital for 3-4 days because she needs more blood.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be a steps to take to help her?

I had been thinking a very large dose of Vitamin K to stop the bleeding but she had been taking a dose of about 10mg of active vitamin K per day previous to this incident. Right now she is on 5mg.

The breakdown of the Vitamin K is as follows:
K1: 3mg
K2: 2mg
MK7: 0.3mg

Before she was on double this.

Here are her blood readings:

Hemoglobin 7.5 g/dl
Platelet count 74.0 10^3/µL

Last edited:
OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
I've read that these kind of bleeding events are VERY common in chemotherapy (up to 70% have one bleeding incident), she also had radiotherapy which also makes the chances of bleeding more likely.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've read that these kind of bleeding events are VERY common in chemotherapy (up to 70% have one bleeding incident), she also had radiotherapy which also makes the chances of bleeding more likely.

The vitamin K should help not only with the bleeding but also with the anemia, and even the tumor itself. I'd keep the vitamin K mix regimen unless her doctor is against it. Once the bleeding is out of control, adding some pregnenolone/progesterone/DHEA may help with recovery from the treatments, and further restrain tumor growth.
"...Cells were treated with varying concentrations of menaquinone-4 (VK2) previously reported to have an antiproliferative effect on human glioblastoma cells."

"...Gliomas are one of the most common types of malignant tumors worldwide, however, an effective therapeutic strategy not yet been fully determined. The present study aimed to investigate the anti-glioma activity and underlying mechanisms of pregnenolone, which originates from cholesterol and is metabolized into important steroid hormones in the body. The results demonstrated that 100 μM pregnenolone induced a significant loss of cell viability in various malignant glioma cell lines."

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
The vitamin K should help not only with the bleeding but also with the anemia, and even the tumor itself. I'd keep the vitamin K mix regimen unless her doctor is against it. Once the bleeding is out of control, adding some pregnenolone/progesterone/DHEA may help with recovery from the treatments, and further restrain tumor growth.
"...Cells were treated with varying concentrations of menaquinone-4 (VK2) previously reported to have an antiproliferative effect on human glioblastoma cells."

"...Gliomas are one of the most common types of malignant tumors worldwide, however, an effective therapeutic strategy not yet been fully determined. The present study aimed to investigate the anti-glioma activity and underlying mechanisms of pregnenolone, which originates from cholesterol and is metabolized into important steroid hormones in the body. The results demonstrated that 100 μM pregnenolone induced a significant loss of cell viability in various malignant glioma cell lines."

Thanks Haidut. She has remained on the vitamin K while she is at home they are taking her to the hospital for a few days to give her more blood so during that time she won't receive any K but hopefully the blood transfusions and what she has already been taking will be enough to allow her to recover.

This was my thoughts wait a few weeks for her to fully recover from the blood loss then reintroduce a combination of progesterone/dhea.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Shes been off of chemo now for several weeks and is at home. Energy has increased and she has a good appetite, still taking the vitamin k and magnesium oil. I've also recommended that she start taking 1mg of Metheylene blue per day which I may increase to 2mg.

I want her to begin taking progesterone and DHEA again but my concern is the effect that this has on the blood and I'm worried about another bleeding event.
I was thinking about using a dose of 40mg of progesterone and 5mg of DHEA to begin. I've read studies of much higher doses of progesterone (200mg per day) used to treat cancer but I cannot find much information about the effect that progesterone has on blood thinning so it is difficult to determine what would be a safe dose or how to mitigate this risk.

Any help appreciated. thank you.

frant26

@Soren Update on this? My uncle is about to receive chemotherapy and I 'm preparing supplementation for him, so, it 'd be very helpful to know which can contribute to bleeding or help with it. Did you get to optimal doses of Vitamin K (we only have K2) and/or progesterone?

How about aspirin? He was taking 500mg daily but I 'm afraid it can be risky with the chemo.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
@Soren Update on this? My uncle is about to receive chemotherapy and I 'm preparing supplementation for him, so, it 'd be very helpful to know which can contribute to bleeding or help with it. Did you get to optimal doses of Vitamin K (we only have K2) and/or progesterone?

How about aspirin? He was taking 500mg daily but I 'm afraid it can be risky with the chemo.

Unfortunately she passed away but not from internal bleeding. They basically stopped treatment and started giving her palliative care morphine etc. I do think you have to be very careful with anything that can thin the blood as chemo therapy also has been shown to in of itself increase the risk of bleeding because the chemo depletes platelets and weakens blood vessels.

With regards to vitamin K I think it has been talked about by Ray and on this forum that Vitamin K1 is what is required to lower the risk of excess bleeding.

If your uncle is taking other blood thinning medications I would be careful not to supplement anything that can amplify this effect, vitamin K in forms K1 and K2 also have in of themselves an anti cancer effect.

I think at least 1mg of vitamin K1 per dose of aspirin would be prudent and the rest would be better in form of K2. Progesterone also has a blood thinning effect so I would be careful with regards to adding that to aspirin.

The safest option in my opinion would probably be to to stick to one supplement in addition the chemo. There are studies that show progesterone and dhea are shown to be very powerful in fighting cancer.

frant26

Unfortunately she passed away but not from internal bleeding. They basically stopped treatment and started giving her palliative care morphine etc. I do think you have to be very careful with anything that can thin the blood as chemo therapy also has been shown to in of itself increase the risk of bleeding because the chemo depletes platelets and weakens blood vessels.

With regards to vitamin K I think it has been talked about by Ray and on this forum that Vitamin K1 is what is required to lower the risk of excess bleeding.

If your uncle is taking other blood thinning medications I would be careful not to supplement anything that can amplify this effect, vitamin K in forms K1 and K2 also have in of themselves an anti cancer effect.

I think at least 1mg of vitamin K1 per dose of aspirin would be prudent and the rest would be better in form of K2. Progesterone also has a blood thinning effect so I would be careful with regards to adding that to aspirin.

The safest option in my opinion would probably be to to stick to one supplement in addition the chemo. There are studies that show progesterone and dhea are shown to be very powerful in fighting cancer.

Sorry to hear she passed away.

Very helpful things to know, appreciated.

Rafe

Condolences, Soren.

Your Mom has been very fortunate to have you care for her as you did.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Condolences, Soren.

Your Mom has been very fortunate to have you care for her as you did.

Thank you for the codoloences, just to clarify this was not my mother but a close friend's mother. My mother still lives but suffers a lot from Parkinson's still

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear she passed away.

Very helpful things to know, appreciated.
You're welcome be sure to do lots of research on anything you recommend there is a lot of information out and you should remember to be cautious.

frant26

You're welcome be sure to do lots of research on anything you recommend there is a lot of information out and you should remember to be cautious.

Absolutely; I 'm researching to get a handful of substances (not more) that offer best bang for buck, that are specific but with systemic anti inflammatory effects, and that above all don 't have unintended negative effects (like too much blood thinning). Thank you.