Can you trigger autoimmune response(elevated antibodies) from over medicating thyroid meds?

FitnessMike

as above.

MidBicep

as above.
I remember a post on Danny's insta where he quoted Ray Peat saying basically that you can get a too big of a dose of thyroid and it's counter productive and harmful.
Just to be safe, I prefer NDT over synthetic T3 because it's just a precursor and my theory is that it won't affect much or at all your natural hormone production. I could be wrong though, I haven't researched if that's true.

My mom has Hashimoto's and she doesn't do well on NDT, her hormone values actually end up being lower than on synthetic T4 and some of her symptoms return despite using a similar dose. So I don't know if that is an autoimmune response but she somehow does worse on it than on synthetics. For now we are going to add T3 to her T4 which should help a lot.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

My mom has Hashimoto's and she doesn't do well on NDT, her hormone values actually end up being lower than on synthetic T4 and some of her symptoms return despite using a similar dose. So I don't know if that is an autoimmune response but she somehow does worse on it than on synthetics. For now we are going to add T3 to her T4 which should help a lot.
My mom has had Hashimoto and have been on t4 for many years, ever since i gave her thyroid glandular, she says she feels better.

I made this thread because I was going through my past blood tests, and o noticed that ever since i started taking thyroid, my antibodies started rising over the normal range, and prior to taking any thyroid i was hypo (unknowingly) for few years. I also add that ever since i was taking thyroid, i do not tolerate it and it quickly accumulates in the blood elevating level of my hormones to the absurd levels and causing stress reaction.

I will confirm this as i stopped completely taking thyroid and planning to not to take it for few weeks and do the test then. Prior to taking thyroid, i had low thyroid antibodies.

Elize

Would like to know how you feel stopping thyroid meds and outcome of your blood work. I am Hashimo too and don't understand why when I stop the Levoxyl I am using that I lose weight by the day when I am supposed to gain weight. I stopped meds for three days and dropped from 100 to 97 pounds and felt shaky and weakness and just got back into using the meds again. I wonder if I have Hyperthyroidism rather than hypothyroidism

Steve

I wonder about this too. I have TSI antibodies which usually accompany Grave's disease.
I stopped my thyroid meds that I've taken for years 3 months ago, and I don't feel all that different.
My temp readings have improved, but I do notice cold fingers every now & then which I didn't have while on meds, so that's not good.
I have lab orders, so I need to go and get them done.

Part of me doesn't want the labs because all they do is demoralize me & make me paranoid if they aren't good.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I wonder about this too. I have TSI antibodies which usually accompany Grave's disease.
I stopped my thyroid meds that I've taken for years 3 months ago, and I don't feel all that different.
My temp readings have improved, but I do notice cold fingers every now & then which I didn't have while on meds, so that's not good.
I have lab orders, so I need to go and get them done.

Part of me doesn't want the labs because all they do is demoralize me & make me paranoid if they aren't good.
I will find out this soon, im off of thyroid and do test tomm

Justme

as above.
Ray Peat mentioned that PUFA accumulation will trigger the antibody reaction, when you start supplementing with Thyroid. So, it might take several months for antibody to be present, until pufa is depleted a bit. You should avoid all pufa diet as much as possible. And take anti inflammatories.

Would like to know how you feel stopping thyroid meds and outcome of your blood work. I am Hashimo too and don't understand why when I stop the Levoxyl I am using that I lose weight by the day when I am supposed to gain weight. I stopped meds for three days and dropped from 100 to 97 pounds and felt shaky and weakness and just got back into using the meds again. I wonder if I have Hyperthyroidism rather than hypothyroidism
I also have Hashimoto’s and gained 23 lbs. once I started Levoxyl years ago. Dieting never helped even when eating 800-1,000 kcal/day. At that point the edema from lack of protein would cause significant edema so the scale didn’t change much. My daughter started Levoxyl at age 7 and gained 60 lbs over a period of 25 years! I can remember friends who were prescribed T4 telling me that they did not want to take meds because it caused weight gain. At the time I thought they had it backwards.

Levoxyl definitely boosted my hunger. Prior to taking the drug I could go 6 hours without needing to eat. Now I’m lucky if I can go 2 hours without feeling hypoglycemic so I’m definitely eating more. Dr. Kenneth Blanchard (The Functional Approach to Hypothyroidism) remarks in his book regarding weight gain, "...my belief is that this problem is perhaps a result of putting thyroid hormone directly on the walls of an empty stomach, thereby altering the production of such hormones as leptin and gherlin which are known to affect weight in humans". (Of course my Endo insisted that I always take the T4 on an empty stomach). Blanchard goes on to discuss how increasing T4 can actually cut off weight loss. Perhaps this is why you lose weight when you go off the Levoxyl?

Elize

I even lost weight when I started Levoxyl dropped from 104 to 100. I take it 10 pm at bedtime. Had no need or want to lower my weight.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Ray Peat mentioned that PUFA accumulation will trigger the antibody reaction, when you start supplementing with Thyroid. So, it might take several months for antibody to be present, until pufa is depleted a bit. You should avoid all pufa diet as much as possible. And take anti inflammatories.
that could explain the raise, thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals