Can You Suck Slowly On A Doxycycline Tablet Like Penicillin?

boris

[Context: Penicillin VK tablets]
Ray Peat said:
"I usually suck on it slowly, to avoid the risk of the tablet sticking to my stomach membrane."

Can you do this with doxycycline too? I heard it can be pretty aggressive to the stomach and esophagus, would you do damage to your mouth?

tankasnowgod

[Context: Penicillin VK tablets]
Ray Peat said:
"I usually suck on it slowly, to avoid the risk of the tablet sticking to my stomach membrane."

Can you do this with doxycycline too? I heard it can be pretty aggressive to the stomach and esophagus, would you do damage to your mouth?

One user reported tooth/enamel damage from a liquid form of doxy, so it might.

yerrag

One user reported tooth/enamel damage from a liquid form of doxy, so it might.
Yes, it does. Luckily for me, I had a dental cleaning after a month of taking liquid pet doxy. I was alerted to it. No one could figure out why. Until I saw a table of all antibiotics at a website, and connected the dots. Doxy, for lack of a better word, is antagonistic to calcium.

My teeth enamel has been restored since - by doing nothing about it short of avoiding liquid doxy. Swallowing the tablet is definitely better than sipping it slowly.

OP
boris

boris

Thanks guys!

I crushed a quarter tablet and mixed it in with a cup of mushrooms.
I think next time I'll mix it into a teaspoon amount of food and swallow immediately.

OP
boris

boris

After that I was very careful not to let it touch my teeth when swallowing the crushed tablet mixed in a dab of food, still got tooth aches. I think it raised my bloodpressure to uncomfortable levels too.

I took it for a week. After stopping it, the tooth aches dissapeared immediately.
I have some penicillin now.