Can You Still Take Aspirin If You Are Low On Iron?

Queequeg

I understand that aspirin chelates iron but I am wondering if there is a way to take it without lowering my iron anymore. Maybe take chlorella or some other high iron supplement. I am wary of the inorganic iron supplements. Ive seen what happens when a magnet is passed over crushed Wheaties.

Here are my numbers in case anyone can make sense of them. I am mainly concerned about my low ferritin of 32.5 and high TIBC of 450

IRON SER: 94 (40 - 190 mcg/dL)
TOTAL IRON BIND CAP: 450 (250 - 400 mcg/dl)
TRANSFERRIN SATURATION: 23.20% (15.0 - 50.0 %)
TRANSFERRIN: 289 (180 - 329 mg/dl)
FERRITIN: 32.5 (20.0 - 380.0 ng/mL)

WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT: 5.8 L (4.5 - 11.0 x10 3 /uL)
RED BLOOD CELL COUNT: 4.29 L (4.60 - 6.20 x10 6 /uL)
HGB: 14.8 L (14.0 - 18.0 g/dl)
HEMATOCRIT: 44.80% (39.0 - 51.0 %)
MEAN CORPUSCULAR VOLUME: 90.9 fL (80.0 - 100.0 fL)
MEAN CORPUSCULAR HGB: 30 (27.0 - 31.0 pg)
MEAN CORPUS.HGB CONC: 33 (32.0 - 37.0 g/dL)

dbh25

I thought 32.5 for ferritin is optimal, on the low normal ramge. How much iron would you lose taking an aspirin/day? Do you feel anemic?

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

I thought 32.5 for ferritin is optimal, on the low normal ramge. How much iron would you lose taking an aspirin/day? Do you feel anemic?
I guess that's my question. How much effect would 325mg of aspirin have. I dont feel any anemic symptoms but I dont want to lower my iron too much more and end up anemic.

dbh25

My ferritin was around your level last time I checked. I take 1.5g aspirin per week now. I'll probably recheck ferritin shortly. I haven't noticed any ill effects.

sele

Ferritin is not a very accurate measure of iron level.
It is usually low when metabolism is low.
Transferrin saturation is a better marker and yours looks pretty good.
325mg of aspirin a day shouldn't make you anemic.
Iron is a heavy metal and toxic for good health unless you are truly anemic.
Riboflavin helps with iron assimilation.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Interesting responses . Thanks. I was just reading RP and he said that having low thyroid can cause low ferritin levels. I thought it was the other way around. Anyway started NDT (after having the iron test) so hopefully that will straighten out any iron issues.

tara

Unless you have specific reasons to take more, you could consider just taking half the 325mg aspirin? Should still be enough to make a difference.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Unless you have specific reasons to take more, you could consider just taking half the 325mg aspirin? Should still be enough to make a difference.
that's a good idea, I am also taking Vitamin C with food to help with iron absorption.

tankasnowgod

Ferritin is not a very accurate measure of iron level.
It is usually low when metabolism is low.
Transferrin saturation is a better marker and yours looks pretty good.

Ferritin is generally considered the best measure of total body iron stores (even better than TSAT). From personal experience, I can tell you that I had high ferritin with low metabolism. As I lowered my ferritin levels (through phlebotomy and other techniques), my metabolism improved.

My ferritin levels are usually around 20-40 these days, and I do take aspirin pretty much daily, and donate blood every two months. YMMV, of course. I agree, stay away from iron supplements no matter what. Dessicated Liver would be a far better option.

OP
Queequeg

Queequeg

Ferritin is generally considered the best measure of total body iron stores (even better than TSAT). From personal experience, I can tell you that I had high ferritin with low metabolism. As I lowered my ferritin levels (through phlebotomy and other techniques), my metabolism improved.

My ferritin levels are usually around 20-40 these days, and I do take aspirin pretty much daily, and donate blood every two months. YMMV, of course. I agree, stay away from iron supplements no matter what. Dessicated Liver would be a far better option.
Thanks... time to reorder some grass fed braunschweiger

Lucas

Hello.

What was your ferritin level when you had a low metabolism, and witch level you began to see the benefits of a lower ferritin?

I lowered my ferritin from 313 to 169 with no benefits yet.

tankasnowgod

Hello.

What was your ferritin level when you had a low metabolism, and witch level you began to see the benefits of a lower ferritin?

I lowered my ferritin from 313 to 169 with no benefits yet.

It started off at 444. I noticed an improvement in mood and energy over time, but I believe it was when it was under 100 (likely around 70 or so) when I realized that it had made quite a difference. When they de-iron hemocromatosis patients (who often start off with ferritin in 900 range and higher), they recommend keeping a diary, as the effects can be subtle at first, and build over time. Although you can also run into problems (low hemoglobin and overbleeding, for example). I noticed hemoglobin trending lower after a time, and used a B complex (or an iron free multi, like Two Per Day) to keep hemoglobin high while de-ironing. Low hemoglobin/ anemia could certainly mask any iron reduction benefits.

Time wise, it took about 8 months to see these benefits.

DaveFoster

My ferritin was low at 22 with low transferrin saturation and above-range iron binding capacity; after occasionally consuming meat and a couple boxes of cereal (literally a couple boxes), it shot up to 124 in a few months with a transferrin saturation of 43%. During this time I took 900 mg - 1.5 g aspirin daily, including when I got the blood tests.

tankasnowgod

444! That sounds really high. Mine was around 170 before I started donating blood.

I think it was. I was only 35 at the time. I did the 23 and me test, and (thanks to the Hacking Hemochromatosis post on the Celtic Curse blog), found out I carry both the lesser known genes of H63D and S65C. I think that technically means I'm a compound heterozygote for HFE. I think the combination is rare, but people like me do load iron at a higher rate than other carriers, and maybe even some of the homozygotes.

tankasnowgod

after occasionally consuming meat and a couple boxes of cereal (literally a couple boxes), it shot up to 124 in a few months with a transferrin saturation of 43%.

While people tend to load more iron when their body stores are low, some cereals contain an insane amount of iron. I think you can exceed the daily tolerable upper limit (which is 45mg) with only 300 calories of Total. Special K is pretty high, too. Other brands are lower, but still contain a hefty amount of iron, like 100% of the RDA in two serving sizes.

DaveFoster

While people tend to load more iron when their body stores are low, some cereals contain an insane amount of iron. I think you can exceed the daily tolerable upper limit (which is 45mg) with only 300 calories of Total. Special K is pretty high, too. Other brands are lower, but still contain a hefty amount of iron, like 100% of the RDA in two serving sizes.
I intentionally got the cereals with only 10 percent RDA, and it still was a problem.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom