Can You Reset Or Reduce Serotonin Receptors?

lampofred

I consume lots of coffee, about 1-200 mg Niacinamide, and Aspirin, no sprouting yet. Should I increase or what ? Lol

How much is lots?

I'm almost certainly low in PUFA so that is also something to keep in mind but I take 1200 mg coffee (10 cups) and 650 mg aspirin daily, niacinamide occasionally when I want the anti-anxiety properties but not regularly

My hands and feet are always warm, my temp is around 99, and my pulse is in the high 70s to low 80s so I'm in a pretty good state metabolically.

L-dopa (Mucuna Pruriens) also does wonders for my mood and hair but you have to make sure to get tons of b vitamins and solid nutrition overall (milk, liver, eggs) when take caffeine/Mucuna/dopaminergic stuff or you will get horrible withdrawal symptoms and mental issues

Basically I'm always "high" lmao. Makes sense if you think about it, rockstars disproportionately keep their hair and they are always doing drugs and barely eating, so high dopamine, low PUFA.

Frankdee20

How much is lots?

I'm almost certainly low in PUFA so that is also something to keep in mind but I take 1200 mg coffee (10 cups) and 650 mg aspirin daily, niacinamide occasionally when I want the anti-anxiety properties but not regularly

My hands and feet are always warm, my temp is around 99, and my pulse is in the high 70s to low 80s so I'm in a pretty good state metabolically.

L-dopa (Mucuna Pruriens) also does wonders for my mood and hair but you have to make sure to get tons of b vitamins and solid nutrition overall (milk, liver, eggs) when take caffeine/Mucuna/dopaminergic stuff or you will get horrible withdrawal symptoms and mental issues

Basically I'm always "high" lmao. Makes sense if you think about it, rockstars disproportionately keep their hair and they are also doing drugs and barely eating, so high dopamine, low PUFA.

Damn, I think the only thing that helped my hair back in the day was GLA oils, and DHEA.

Frankdee20

How much is lots?

Basically I'm always "high" lmao. Makes sense if you think about it, rockstars disproportionately keep their hair and they are always doing drugs and barely eating, so high dopamine, low PUFA.

Rockstars May have also had good genetics, white, hippy Arian looking types. Is their a genetic component? Perhaps.

Mito

reduce the number of receptors
Downregulation of receptors happens when receptors have been chronically exposed to an excessive amount of neurotransmitters, whether endogenous or drugs. This results in ligand-induced desensitization or internalization of that receptor. It is usually exhibited by various hormone receptors. Upregulation of receptors, on the other hand, results in super-sensitized receptors especially after repeated exposure to the drug.

Some receptor agonists may cause downregulation of their respective receptors, while most receptor antagonists temporarily upregulate their respective receptors. The disequilibrium caused by these changes often causes withdrawal when the long-term use of a drug is discontinued. However, the use of certain receptor antagonists may also damage receptors faster than they upregulate (internalization of receptors due to antagonism).”

Downregulation and upregulation - Wikipedia

Serotoninja

Downregulation of receptors happens when receptors have been chronically exposed to an excessive amount of neurotransmitters, whether endogenous or drugs. This results in ligand-induced desensitization or internalization of that receptor. It is usually exhibited by various hormone receptors. Upregulation of receptors, on the other hand, results in super-sensitized receptors especially after repeated exposure to the drug.

Some receptor agonists may cause downregulation of their respective receptors, while most receptor antagonists temporarily upregulate their respective receptors. The disequilibrium caused by these changes often causes withdrawal when the long-term use of a drug is discontinued. However, the use of certain receptor antagonists may also damage receptors faster than they upregulate (internalization of receptors due to antagonism).”

Downregulation and upregulation - Wikipedia

Do you know if chronic use of cyproheptadine is detrimental in the long term? Minimizing serotonin synthesis by improving gut health (and by using BCAA's) sounds safer

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Do you know if chronic use of cyproheptadine is detrimental in the long term? Minimizing serotonin synthesis by improving gut health (and by using BCAA's) sounds safer
yes problem with cypro is it also antagonises dopamine d2 receptor

Mito

This sounds like good advise....a Haidut quote about Cypro from Cyproheptadine - A Wonder Drug?
“Ray recommends doses of 0.5mg-4mg a day and says it should not be taken for more than several days b/c serotonin drugs tend to eventually cause side effects. While I agree with him that taking a drug for too long is not a good idea, in my experience most people have to take cypro for 1-2 weeks before they get any lasting effect. Once the serotonin is under control, then slowly taper off and focus on diet.
I think Ray's comments about the side effects are based on studies with other anti-serotonin drugs causing some heart issues (e.g. ondansetron) but in the case of cyproheptadine the side effects are extremely rare and tend to be mild. Certainly no heart issues from cypro, and most people may get some nervousness due to the anticholinergic properties or briefly elevated liver enzymes.”

Wilfrid

It may be important to make a distinction between platelet and free plasma serotonin levels.
As well as measuring level of adrenaline and noradrenaline.
If someone have an excessive adrenaline , low noradrenaline with a high platelet serotonin (p5HT) and high free serotonin (f5HT) levels, the drug of choice would probably be clonidine and especially if the blood tests above match with disturb intestinal motility.
If someone has a high f5ht with a low p5ht, the drug tianeptine by reducing f5HT plasma levels and enhancing the p5HT uptake would probably be the best choice. Using coffee would be of a great help too as Ray has already mentioned in his excellent coffee/caffeine article: " Caffeine, besides inhibiting the platelet aggregation, also tends to inhibit the release of serotonin, or to promote its uptake and binding." In this case, caffeine in coffee is acting much like tianeptine.
Making a satured solution of caffeine and applying it to the scalp could be useful in this pattern as well as applying, on every other days, a solution made with a crushed ( into a very fine powder ) cynomel tablet dissolved into a saline ( 5 mcg in 50ml of isotonic water, or 10 mcg in 100 ml ect....). Edit: Getting enough vitamin D, through supplementation, is crucial too in that case.

Last edited:
OP
ddjd

ddjd

"
Chromium has also been shown to lower the cortisol response to challenge
with 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan (5-HTP) and decrease the sensitivity of 5-HT
2A receptors
(Attenburrow et al 2002)."

managing

Since this is RPF and Peat doesn't place much importance in the concept of receptors, OPs question as it stands is basically unanswerable. But assuming his goal in trying to reduce serotonin receptors is to reduce serotonergic activity to fight baldness, our responses should help him get there.
I was thinking the same thing in regard to receptors.

However, I think most are missing the fact that the OPs question is about how to transform his organism, not just manage the situation.

Frankdee20

Inositol has been linked to 5ht receptor densities, but that stuff made me extremely anxious. I believe Area 1255 links it to up regulation of 2A.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Inositol has been linked to 5ht receptor densities, but that stuff made me extremely anxious. I believe Area 1255 links it to up regulation of 2A.
after testing it definitely does reduce my hair shedding in the same way as cypro, BCAA etc.

Herbie

Ive taken over a gram of cypro in 18 months, I feel its had permanent effects on me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals