Can You Reset Or Reduce Serotonin Receptors?

ddjd

I've suffered from diffuse hair loss for almost a decade and the amount of hair I shed changes every day depending on my stress levels.

After much research and trial and error I've worked out that Serotonin antagonists that block the 5ht2a and 5ht2c receptors stop the shedding completely.

I was wondering, is it possible to repair these receptors or maybe reduce the number of receptors so I might not have to use Serotonin antagonists all time...?

Dhair

I've suffered from diffuse hair loss for almost a decade and the amount of hair I shed changes every day depending on my stress levels.

After much research and trial and error I've worked out that Serotonin antagonists that block the 5ht2a and 5ht2c receptors stop the shedding completely.

I was wondering, is it possible to repair these receptors or maybe reduce the number of receptors so I might not have to use Serotonin antagonists all time...?
A serotonin antagonist like cyproheptadine is probably safe when taken long term.
Sometimes a strong signal needs to be sent in order to change the cell physiology permanently. If you work on lowering tissue serotonin/estrogen, then you may not need to take any kind of drug indefinitely. Ray Peat talked about this. He said that many women with serious chronic illnesses only needed one hefty dose of progesterone to move things in a more positive direction. You could try something more powerful like lisuride, but if your issue is only hair loss, I would play it safe. Cyproheptadine and a good diet should fix that.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

A serotonin antagonist like cyproheptadine is probably safe when taken long term.
Sometimes a strong signal needs to be sent in order to change the cell physiology permanently. If you work on lowering tissue serotonin/estrogen, then you may not need to take any kind of drug indefinitely. Ray Peat talked about this. He said that many women with serious chronic illnesses only needed one hefty dose of progesterone to move things in a more positive direction. You could try something more powerful like lisuride, but if your issue is only hair loss, I would play it safe. Cyproheptadine and a good diet should fix that.
I've been using cypro for years. It works for about 8-16 hours. But I don't think it's changed the actual receptors long term.

Lisuride is actually a 5ht2a / 2c agonist so won't work for me unfortunately

Dhair

I've been using cypro for years. It works for about 8-16 hours. But I don't think it's changed the actual receptors long term.

Lisuride is actually a 5ht2a / 2c agonist so won't work for me unfortunately
Lisuride powerfully lowers tissue estrogen and serotonin. Despite its partial serotonin agonism, it is thought to be a mostly anti-serotonin drug.
Does the hair loss return immediately after you stop the cypro?

lampofred

Caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide all lower serotonin (which is why they cure baldness)

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Lisuride powerfully lowers tissue estrogen and serotonin. Despite its partial serotonin agonism, it is thought to be a mostly anti-serotonin drug.
Does the hair loss return immediately after you stop the cypro?
I would like to try it but would be good to be sure if it antagonises specifically the 5ht2a and 5ht2c receptors. Maybe @haidut knows.

Yes hair loss always returns after that 8-16h period after cypro. Clearly as the antagonism effect wears off

grenade

Caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide all lower serotonin (which is why they cure baldness)

This doesn’t answer OP’s question, neither does my input, but reducing your tryptophan consumption will work in the same vein.

biggirlkisss

ondancestron is 5ht2c blocker. I dunno the success with your goal though with that drug.

Dhair

I would like to try it but would be good to be sure if it antagonises specifically the 5ht2a and 5ht2c receptors. Maybe @haidut knows.

Yes hair loss always returns after that 8-16h period after cypro. Clearly as the antagonism effect wears off
Why are you so focused on those specific receptors? The whole cell acts as a "receptor," and if it antagonizes multiple other serotonin "receptors," as it is expected to do, then it will give you the results you're looking for. Search for "lisuride" on the forum. Haidut posted about this.
I have read a few very positive testimonials about lisuride' s effects on hair. Maybe you could search for that too.

Dhair

From haidut:
"Lisuride is the most potent dopamine agonist currently in clinical or research use, across all known dopamine receptors (D1, D2, D3, D4, and D5). In addition, it is an antagoniston several serotonin receptors such as5-HT2B, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7. The systemiceffects of lisuride are profoundlydopaminergic and anti-serotonergic. It is the antagonism specifically of 5-HT2Bthat makes lisuride and its cousin terguride therapeutic for variousfibrotic conditions."
@Joeyd What you're looking for is overall anti-fibrotic effects, not specific receptor antagonists. This is what lisuride provides. But once again, I don't think you NEED it, but it could make a cool experiment.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

From haidut:
"Lisuride is the most potent dopamine agonist currently in clinical or research use, across all known dopamine receptors (D1, D2, D3, D4, and D5). In addition, it is an antagoniston several serotonin receptors such as5-HT2B, 5-HT6, and 5-HT7. The systemiceffects of lisuride are profoundlydopaminergic and anti-serotonergic. It is the antagonism specifically of 5-HT2Bthat makes lisuride and its cousin terguride therapeutic for variousfibrotic conditions."
@Joeyd What you're looking for is overall anti-fibrotic effects, not specific receptor antagonists. This is what lisuride provides. But once again, I don't think you NEED it, but it could make a cool experiment.
Thanks dhair. If I get some I'll let you know how the experiment goes. Bromocriptine is apparently an inactivating antagonist like lisuride so might try that also

lampofred

This doesn’t answer OP’s question, neither does my input, but reducing your tryptophan consumption will work in the same vein.

Since this is RPF and Peat doesn't place much importance in the concept of receptors, OPs question as it stands is basically unanswerable. But assuming his goal in trying to reduce serotonin receptors is to reduce serotonergic activity to fight baldness, our responses should help him get there.

Frankdee20

I consume lots of coffee, about 1-200 mg Niacinamide, and Aspirin, no sprouting yet. Should I increase or what ? Lol

Constatine

Antagonizing serotonin quite dramatically increases ATP production (mitochondria respiration). It is like the breaks to energy production. That could be why it is helping. I don't think downregulating the receptors are necessary but rather restoring proper energy production.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Antagonizing serotonin quite dramatically increases ATP production (mitochondria respiration). It is like the breaks to energy production. That could be why it is helping. I don't think downregulating the receptors are necessary but rather restoring proper energy production.
What would you suggest for restoring proper energy function?

Constatine

What would you suggest for restoring proper energy function?
Moderate exercise or just being physically active in general, sun exposure, restful sleep, any serotonin antagonist, Panax ginseng, thiamine, zinc (it's really better to get any vitamin or mineral from the diet not supplements) or a high mineral diet in general, and fun- new experiences(stimulates brain mitochondria). Also improving thyroid health of course.