Can you get atrial fibrillation from thyroid supplementation

Seems that some people report correlation between low TSH and AFib. What do you think?

Results Of the 586 460 individuals in the study population (mean (SD) age 50.2 (16.9) years, 39% men), 562 461 (96.0%) were euthyroid, 1670 (0.3%) had overt hypothyroidism, 12 087 (2.0%) had subclinical hypothyroidism, 3966 (0.7%) had overt hyperthyroidism, and 6276 (1.0%) had subclinical hyperthyroidism. Compared with the euthyroid individuals, the risk of atrial fibrillation increased with decreasing levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) from high normal euthyroidism (incidence rate ratio 1.12 (95% CI 1.03 to 1.21)) to subclinical hyperthyroidism with reduced TSH (1.16 (0.99 to 1.36)) and subclinical hyperthyroidism with supressed TSH (1.41 (1.25 to 1.59)). Both overt and subclinical hypothyroidism were associated with a lower risk of atrial fibrillation.

Conclusion The risk of atrial fibrillation was closely associated with thyroid activity, with a low risk in overt hypothyroidism, high risk in hyperthyroidism, and a TSH level dependent association with risk of atrial fibrillation across the spectrum of subclinical thyroid disease.

Lucas

Seems that some people report correlation between low TSH and AFib. What do you think?

Results Of the 586 460 individuals in the study population (mean (SD) age 50.2 (16.9) years, 39% men), 562 461 (96.0%) were euthyroid, 1670 (0.3%) had overt hypothyroidism, 12 087 (2.0%) had subclinical hypothyroidism, 3966 (0.7%) had overt hyperthyroidism, and 6276 (1.0%) had subclinical hyperthyroidism. Compared with the euthyroid individuals, the risk of atrial fibrillation increased with decreasing levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) from high normal euthyroidism (incidence rate ratio 1.12 (95% CI 1.03 to 1.21)) to subclinical hyperthyroidism with reduced TSH (1.16 (0.99 to 1.36)) and subclinical hyperthyroidism with supressed TSH (1.41 (1.25 to 1.59)). Both overt and subclinical hypothyroidism were associated with a lower risk of atrial fibrillation.

Conclusion The risk of atrial fibrillation was closely associated with thyroid activity, with a low risk in overt hypothyroidism, high risk in hyperthyroidism, and a TSH level dependent association with risk of atrial fibrillation across the spectrum of subclinical thyroid disease.
This will aswer your question:

OP
ecstatichamster
Thank you very much. The essence of what I have read here in this excellent article is that bottle therapy with T4 is responsible for increase in atrial fibrillation and that if you get high T3 you probably are not likely to get atrial fibrillation. Thank you again.

Kozak

Thank you very much. The essence of what I have read here in this excellent article is that bottle therapy with T4 is responsible for increase in atrial fibrillation and that if you get high T3 you probably are not likely to get atrial fibrillation. Thank you again.
I would say High Normal Morning T3. I'm sure your body would not like supraphysiological levels of T3 either.

5a-DHP

I would say High Normal Morning T3. I'm sure your body would not like supraphysiological levels of T3 either.
Agreed. Sometimes this forum is guilty of falling into black and white thinking when it comes to hormones - if thyroid is protective, more thyroid = more benefit / couldn't possibly ever cause harm (same applies to preg, prog, dhea, dht, etc); likewise, if an excess of cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, etc, is harmful, dropping them as low as possible = entirely beneficial.
Then, when people experience negative or positive effects from taking 'protective' or 'stress' hormones respectively, there's an enormous amount of mental gymnastics to try explain it away - for example, how estrogen deficiency-induced joint pain from AIs is actually a progesterone deficiency, etc.
The reality is much more nuanced; health lies in balance, not extremes.

Last edited:

cs3000

This will aswer your question:

love her blog its really well read

something interesting

fT3 level basically linearly shows decreased prevalence of all 10 disorders measured going from low end of range -> upper normal high end of range
(and even being high is better than low end overall)

1706442797181.png
1706442820882.png

1706443081902.png

Agreed. Sometimes this forum is guilty of falling into black and white thinking when it comes to hormones - if thyroid is protective, more thyroid = more benefit / couldn't possibly ever cause harm (same applies to preg, prog, dhea, dht, etc); likewise, if an excess of cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, etc, is harmful, dropping them as low as possible = entirely beneficial.
Then, when people experience negative or positive effects from taking 'protective' or 'stress' hormones respectively, there's an enormous amount of mental gymnastics to try explain it away - for example, how estrogen deficiency-induced joint pain from AIs is actually a progesterone deficiency, etc.
The reality is much more nuanced; health lies in balance, not extremes.
I love your ending! I couldn’t agree more!

Back
Top Bottom