Can we talk about glutamate and soy sauce?

daphne134

My teen who's into cooking is challenging me about why I'm ok with fermented soy sauce, but not MSG as an ingredient.

I read on a different thread Peat himself said soy sauce isn't a huge deal, anyone know more?

There's a ton of propaganda out there on how MSG is like any other food ingredient?!?

We read up on why glutamate is sketchy. Kiddo isn't a fan of coconut aminos and is really into unami. Kiddo is also kinda on the spectrum so to speak.

Now I'm looking for info on what's different about using soy sauce versus using MSG - quantity- and quality-wise.

Also product suggestions would be welcome. Any particular soy sauce or tamari that would be lower in glutamate? I was buying chickpea miso for awhile, that might be good to bring back. What about powdered seaweed, is that a healthier unami than synthetic MSG?

Thanks ...

AlaskaJono

Umami is super amazing flavour! mmmmm, but friends don't let friends eat MSG! Seriously, just do some basic websearch. I get myself drymouth, headaches, itchy throat and eyes. It is in a lot of sauces and foods these days. We use Tamari, all natural from Japan, and yummy and full of Umami. Also definitely get your kiddo to make homemade Worcester sauce. The one with 20 ish ingredients... it is awesome. (yes it has anchovies but one cannot taste it!). You won't look back.

Tomatoes, cheddar cheese, mushrooms are naturally yummy and full of umami. Probably related to Glutamates and is scientifically measurable. But that doesn't mean I want to buy or consume products made with msg extract. This and other enhancers are used to make low quality ingredients taste good or even delicious.

Basically what I recall is that MSG is an excitotoxin, and probably neurotoxic. It may be cumulative, like a lot of toxic ingredients. Tachycardia and dizziness may result from high doses. Everyone is different and reacts different. Now there are poor labeling laws or no laws regarding ingredients that contain msg but are not easily recognized. Yeast Extract, Natural Flavours, No Added MSG, and then all these other boosters. Lemme search a sec.... . Also some food ingredients may have a process done to them which releases glutamates and then because of (lack of) label laws they do not have to label the product ingredients msg. We just do not buy those products. Full stop. Good luck.

https://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/621-msg-msg-boosters-flavour-enhancers-and-natural-glutamates

Number of food items
Flavour enhancers
0​
MSG (621)​
10​
627 ribonucleotide​
10​
631 ribonucleotide (used with 627 in the above products, usually Seared Chicken in various items)​
3​
635 ribonucleotide (this additive is a combination of 627 and 631 used in Chicken McBites, Barbecue sauce and Bagel NYC Benedict)​
17​
hydrolysed vegetable protein, used in the above products as well as others such as McMuffin sausage and Crispy Skin Chicken​
29​
yeast extract, used in the above products as well as others e.g. Angus Seasoning, McDippers, McWings, McBite​

PeskyPeater

MSG cannot pass the blood brain barrier. How Glutamate Is Managed by the Blood–Brain Barrier
The 'Chinese restaurant syndrome' from MSG has been debunked, it doesn't give complaints for lots of people.
Chinese restaurant syndrome: has MSG been unfairly demonised?

MSG is a form of Glutamate, which is metabolised by the gut cells or other mucous membranes and used as fuel
Emerging aspects of dietary glutamate metabolism in the developing gut - PubMed

As most MSG and glutamates from food is metabolized, the part that does get through to cause problems, will be from the individuals state of health and their thyroid function that affects the gut tight junctions barrier.
Gastrointestinal health, Thyroid and Immune connection – Jon Trister MD
And the part that goes into the brain will be from a leaky brain barrier from inflammation or relative content of serotonin in blood plasma and brain, especially when under stress.
Probable involvement of serotonin in the increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier by forced swimming. An experimental study using Evans blue and 131I-sodium tracers in the rat - PubMed

So one may get complaints from regular source of glutamates from soy sauce and tomato, just as well as from MSG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom