Can Too Much Sugar Have Me Coughing And Feel My Liver?

DevilHands

Hi, not sure if this is the case. There was a time that I was going all fruits and have this happen to me too. Now that I am on a Peatish diet, it seems to have come back. Could it be because of all the sugar I am consuming? I am not too sure.... or is it just in my head?

raypeatclips

All sugar never worked for me and made me feel worse, don't force something that isn't working and is potentially harming you. I am doing much better now with more starch and less sugar.

DaveFoster

All sugar never worked for me and made me feel worse, don't force something that isn't working and is potentially harming you. I am doing much better now with more starch and less sugar.
I prefer lactose, and there's some evidence that lactose attenuates some of the potential risks associated with fructose consumption.

dookie

I found that the healthier I am, the more sugar I can tolerate. If you are really sick, I would start with well-cooked starch like white rice, then slowly increase your sugar and see what happens

I have a theory that when you are sick, sugar somehow travels down the lactic acid pathway, instead of being metabolized more fully for energy. It feels like starch doesn't do this. Any science relating to this ? @haidut

OP
D

DevilHands

Hmm... isn't sugar suppose to be a healthier source of carbs than starch? I am increasing my intake of fructose and sucrose as I want to increase my glycogen storage. My waking temp hasn't hit 36.5 so far.

I still do eat white rice everyday though... as I love to eat it together with meat. I thought that's non-peatish, but there are people saying here that its okay?

theLaw

Hmm... isn't sugar suppose to be a healthier source of carbs than starch? I am increasing my intake of fructose and sucrose as I want to increase my glycogen storage. My waking temp hasn't hit 36.5 so far.

I still do eat white rice everyday though... as I love to eat it together with meat. I thought that's non-peatish, but there are people saying here that its okay?

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/taurine-doubles-liver-glycogen.8297/

Starch is a very dense carb source, but it can have major drawbacks depending on your gut/liver health.

Also, meat is high in iron, which combined with pufa, can cause serious health problems.

Finally, you might consider starting with Peat's material directly instead of just getting mixed messages from member here. Cheers!:D

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

if anything the extra fructose will help someone who can’t burn sugar. Carbs without protein can raise serotonin though...

Tarmander

You have to look at your activity level and metabolism in general. Sugar is very potent, and when I eat more sugar then I know I can handle well, I suffer. The whole Matt Stone, more fuel equals more warmth, I think is pretty debunked, at least for most of the sicker population...maybe it works for teenagers or something. Coughing long term is definitely not a good sign that things re going swimmingly.

raypeatclips

Peat has very good explanations of why sugar is superior to starch and provides the research to back up what he claims. I am not disputing what Peat says or the science behind it.

Everybody is different and I felt worse and worse on only sugar until my health was in a worse state than when I started. If sugar works for people, that is great. If it doesn't work for you, you should reassess what you are doing, and make adjustments.

raypeatclips

Taurine Doubles Liver Glycogen

Starch is a very dense carb source, but it can have major drawbacks depending on your gut/liver health.

Also, meat is high in iron, which combined with pufa, can cause serious health problems.

Finally, you might consider starting with Peat's material directly instead of just getting mixed messages from member here. Cheers!:D

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

My gut was in absolute pieces when I was eating the lowest starch I ever had and relying on sugar as my sole carb source. I still haven't worked out why this is.

theLaw

My gut was in absolute pieces when I was eating the lowest starch I ever had and relying on sugar as my sole carb source. I still haven't worked out why this is.

There are always a bunch of variables, but it might have been caloric restriction. Also, many people compare eating spoonfuls of sugar with the same amount of starch flavored with fat/salt/spices............not exactly a fair fight.

Starch is not only dense, but also an excellent delivery mechanism for salt, so it might be more than just the carbs themselves.

A good hearty stew + cheesecake for dessert would probably be a more apt comparison to the filling nature of starch.

I'm starting to wonder if in the future tasty recipes will make the current "simple" diets here look archaic. "Remember when everyone used to just eat ingredients?":eek:

Stud

yeah I never used to have a problem with it untill my liver got fcked up. Using a combination of coconut oil, high caffeine and taurine stops the liver swelling though. especially coconut oil seems great in shrinking the liver for me.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I found that the healthier I am, the more sugar I can tolerate. If you are really sick, I would start with well-cooked starch like white rice, then slowly increase your sugar and see what happens

I have a theory that when you are sick, sugar somehow travels down the lactic acid pathway, instead of being metabolized more fully for energy. It feels like starch doesn't do this. Any science relating to this ? @haidut

Any type of sugar tends to go down the lactic acid pathway when a cell is stressed. I don't think starch is exempt from this. But it is still less harmful then loading the cell with fat, which can trigger really bad changes if prolonged.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals