can things get worse as they're getting better?

peateats1

Hi everyone!
I've been completely avoiding pufa for the last year after coming across peats work...I have been for the past 3 years suffering from extreme food intolerance...only eating 5 foods(one of those cashew butter...loaded with pufa), insomnia, rashes, depression, low body temp, etc etc etc... anyways, my food intolerances have drastically improved in the last month or two and my temp is now normal or above, I have noticed that my face is sooo much less puffy and I look a lot younger, my nails are hard for the first time in my life, and my keratosis pilaris is going away...

so now my diet is mainly goats milk with sugar, chocolate, beef, and fresh orange juice...which has made me even better in a lot of ways, but here comes back the insomnia and EXTREME mood swings...I can cry my eyes out over nothing for hours, sometimes I feel like I don't know where I'm at or like I have lost touch with reality??? I don't know if this could be from estrogen coming out of my tissues? if so, how long do I have to go through this? please help :)

also wanted to include that I get super nauseous and don't want to eat...I guess it could be a reaction to the milk or oj? I don't know...

andvanwyk

Have you tried bone broth with salt ? I find it's tolerated by most people and the minerals and protein ratio in it are very very mood stabilising - really amazing food. Look up Ray Peats article on gelatin. Raw carrots? The daily raw carrot salad has done wonders ( subtle but i notice it) for my health and mental state. The same goes for coconut oil. If I leave any of those three things out of my diet for a few days I notice a dip in my mood. Just as a note I've considered myself highly food intolerant - symptoms mainly related to mood.

Mittir

RP recommends a glass of milk with few tbs of sugar and some salt for a good night sleep. Instead of milk you can use any sweet juice or simple sugar and salt water. Sugar is allergen free. You can also try pure ice cream too, home-made or haagen dazs. You can try hydrolysated great lake collagen, these are easy to digest and great for sleep and over all health. Feeling nauseous and lack of hunger most likely means foods are causing irritation inside your intestine. RP also suggest to avoid protein rich food, specially tryptophan rich food after sunset, as digestive system slows down with lack of light. Eat your carrot salad around afternoon to have a clean intestine before sleep. You need to strain OJ thoroughly, fiber of OJ can irritate stomach. Acid in OJ can create problem for sensitive digestive system. You can add pinch of baking soda to reduce the acidity.
Chocolate can cause problem too. If you think milk is causing problem you can try homemade cheese , its is just adding some lemon juice or vinegar to hot milk and separating the curd. This is much easier on stomach.

OP
P

peateats1

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I just wanted to check back in...yesterday I started doing the light therapy and my reactions to oj/milk were a lot less severe...AND I used a light as I was going to sleep, 150watt incandescent, and I slept better than I have in a long time...so if anyone is really struggling, try lights! I never thought it would actually work...

jyb

I would echo gelatin before bed. I find doing a bone broth impractical on a daily basis, so I get powdered gelatin like many here. In my opinion, getting a lot of gelatin throughout the day and before bedtime is even more important than light therapy for sleep, though I only tested with a 250W heat lamp not incandescent.

Mittir

peateats1 said:
Thank you guys for the suggestions! I just wanted to check back in...yesterday I started doing the light therapy and my reactions to oj/milk were a lot less severe...AND I used a light as I was going to sleep, 150watt incandescent, and I slept better than I have in a long time...so if anyone is really struggling, try lights! I never thought it would actually work...
I had similar experience when i started light therapy with 500 watts of incandescent. It was an instant change in energy and health. It improves everything including sleep. It is effortless ,everyone should try this.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
I had similar experience when i started light therapy with 500 watts of incandescent. It was an instant change in energy and health. It improves everything including sleep. It is effortless ,everyone should try this.

Ditto.

Jenn

There were times when drinking milk too close to bedtime would keep me up for hours. Coffee with gelatin puts me to sleep, but milk may keep me up.
Haagen daz is a wonderful sleep aid. Well, haagen daz is a wonderful food altogether.

Imonaquest

This topic hits home with me. I have been feeling worse, yet feeling better.

I feel physically worse. I've been getting anxiety attacks and some odd aches and pains, but mentally, I feel better. Feel more level headed, feel more inspired, feel more motivated in a number of areas of my life. It's like this diet has improved most areas of my mind, but my body hasn't caught up yet. I would have given up on this diet a long time ago if I didn't feel so good mentally, because I feel so awful physically.

I'm riding it out, hoping my body wellness catches up with my mental wellness. My anxiety is down a lot since I cut out caffeinated coffee, and went from whole milk to 2%. Noticed big differences from both.

pboy

I think you may be cellularly dehydrated, hense the bad appetite / mental changes. All of those things you are eating are dehydrating if not taken with water or diluted, so unless youre drinking plain water between meals you are slowly cellularly dehydrating yourself on that diet alone...which is why plain coffee, coffee with gelatin, broth soup (light salt), plain water or slightly salty water, maybe eating the beef as a soup or stew, might all be beneficial, and/or slightly diluting your milk and OJ when you drink them

Could be something else though but just thought I'd throw this out there

princeamir

Mittir said:
post 16571
peateats1 said:

What type of light is good for sleep ?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marikay

Mittir said:
post 16571

I second this statement...It took me years to start the light therapy. When I did, the change was massive.

Mittir

princeamir said:
post 109952
Mittir said:
post 16571
peateats1 said:

What type of light is good for sleep ?

Just avoiding blue lights ( TV, Computer screen, White light from Fluorescent bulb etc) will improve sleep.
Adding red light further improves sleep problem. I use regular incandescent bulbs, 2700 Kelvin, 400 watts.
RP recommends both regular incandescent and heat lamp incandescent and Heat lamps has a better wavelength.
Heat lamps are clear incandescent bulb with higher voltage which can be used in lower voltage line.
Here is an example of a heat lamp

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P1MQDK/?tag=rapefo-20

You may need to check if your electric wire and socket are suitable for high wattage bulb.

He also recommends several hundred watt to suppress cortisol. I have seen studies that found
we need more than 5000 Lux to lower cortisol at night. Bright light can increase vitamin A
requirement. I have to eat extra liver to compensate for that since starting light therapy.

You can also use F.lux on computer to lower blue light exposure and amber glass can also do that.

firebreather

Mittir said:
post 110338 Just avoiding blue lights ( TV, Computer screen, White light from Fluorescent bulb etc) will improve sleep.
Adding red light further improves sleep problem. I use regular incandescent bulbs, 2700 Kelvin, 400 watts.
RP recommends both regular incandescent and heat lamp incandescent and Heat lamps has a better wavelength.
Heat lamps are clear incandescent bulb with higher voltage which can be used in lower voltage line.
Here is an example of a heat lamp

http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-250BR40H ... B003P1MQDK

You may need to check if your electric wire and socket are suitable for high wattage bulb.

He also recommends several hundred watt to suppress cortisol. I have seen studies that found
we need more than 5000 Lux to lower cortisol at night. Bright light can increase vitamin A
requirement. I have to eat extra liver to compensate for that since starting light therapy.

You can also use F.lux on computer to lower blue light exposure and amber glass can also do that.

Mittir,

How long before bedtime do you do your light therapy and for how long?

I'm using two of the bulbs you posted above for 30 to 60 minutes in the afternoon but I haven't really experienced any improvement with sleep.

I also avoid blue light as much as possible and use Flux.

Mittir

firebreather said:
Mittir,

I'm using two of the bulbs you posted above for 30 to 60 minutes in the afternoon but I haven't really experienced any improvement with sleep.

I use those bulbs for regular lighting of the room. I do not sit close to those, too much heat.
I usually spend 5-7 hours under incandescent light . The study used 6-7 hours of
bright light to lower cortisol. You also need to expose as much skin as possible to the light.
I feel really terrible under regular white fluorescent light.

What is the kelvin you use in flux? I use 1200 or 1900 kelvin.

Another thing that improved sleep was to place my bed in the middle of the room,
at least 3 feet away from the wall with electric wiring. It made a big difference.

If i eat a lot of starch or hard to digest foods, which results in low glycogen, i have
sleep problem. Light therapy does not help much. I have to do a lot of things besides
light therapy to have really resting sleep. Sugared coffee milk every 2 hours until bed time,
avoiding starch after sunset, raw carrot salad or cooked button mushroom or cooked
bamboo shoots in the late afternoon. If i do not feel like eating these, i
take 50 mg of tetracyline once every 4-5 days.

firebreather

Mittir said:
post 110448
firebreather said:
Mittir,

I use those bulbs for regular lighting of the room. I do not sit close to those, too much heat.
I usually spend 5-7 hours under incandescent light . The study used 6-7 hours of
bright light to lower cortisol. You also need to expose as much skin as possible to the light.
I feel really terrible under regular white fluorescent light.

What is the kelvin you use in flux? I use 1200 or 1900 kelvin.

Another thing that improved sleep was to place my bed in the middle of the room,
at least 3 feet away from the wall with electric wiring. It made a big difference.

If i eat a lot of starch or hard to digest foods, which results in low glycogen, i have
sleep problem. Light therapy does not help much. I have to do a lot of things besides
light therapy to have really resting sleep. Sugared coffee milk every 2 hours until bed time,
avoiding starch after sunset, raw carrot salad or cooked button mushroom or cooked
bamboo shoots in the late afternoon. If i do not feel like eating these, i
take 50 mg of tetracyline once every 4-5 days.

Ok, I thought I read one of your responses to someone where you said the light therapy helped a lot.

I didn't realized I could change the Kelvin so it was at 3400 but I just changed it to 1200.

Since I've been applying Peat strategies I've had issues with frequent urination (which I used to have until I started adding salt to my drinks) and starchy foods seem to help. I'm not sure if the need to urinate is waking me up in the night or I'm just sleeping very lightly and then feel the need when I do wake up.

Thank you for the input.

GauchoMax

Things were getting worse for me (more acne lesions and general fatigue) until I dropped the fat. I went from 35-45% calories (mostly Saturated Fat) to less than 3-5%, and everything's looking much better after 48 hours.

Basically, my diet consists of fruits (Banana, apple, orange, fig, date), cooked vegetables (Broccoli, Rutabaga, Sweet Potato), raw vegetables (lettuce, carrot, celery) and some meat (beef liver, tuna) ; only changes I made were to remove coconut milk and dark chocolate.