Can sucrose make you fat?

Uselis

Stupid question, I know. Any food in excess can make you fat. But I remember half a year or so I thought table sugar contributing to my stuffy nose so I quit. My nose remained the same but my body definition changed quickly. I leaned out and seems my muscles showed more. Back then I consumed like 12 teaspoons of sugar in 5 cups of coffee. I wasn't sedentary. I got depressed and cold by a 2nd or 3rd day so I gave up quickly.

These days despite my lifting nature job I have visible amount abdominal fat while eating nothing but milk, rice, eggs, fruit and ofc liberally sugared coffees. Calories probably never exceeds 3.5K.

Thanks

Maljam

Durianrider eats hundreds of grams of sugar per day and is skinny

He goes on things like 100 mile bike rides regularly. If he was sat around the house he wouldn't be skinny.

To the OP, yes I think sucrose can make you gain weight, I got fat eating a lot of sugar but admittedly I wasn't doing much exercise. Carbs seem the most exercise dependent macro.

ursidae

milk, rice, eggs, fruit and ofc liberally sugared coffees. Calories probably never exceeds 3.5K.
are you supplementing B vitamins , zinc..etc. even 2 L of milk only gives you 70% of the rdi for thiamine and you're increasing the need for it with the white rice and sugar

Hans

Forum Supporter
Stupid question, I know. Any food in excess can make you fat. But I remember half a year or so I thought table sugar contributing to my stuffy nose so I quit. My nose remained the same but my body definition changed quickly. I leaned out and seems my muscles showed more. Back then I consumed like 12 teaspoons of sugar in 5 cups of coffee. I wasn't sedentary. I got depressed and cold by a 2nd or 3rd day so I gave up quickly.

These days despite my lifting nature job I have visible amount abdominal fat while eating nothing but milk, rice, eggs, fruit and ofc liberally sugared coffees. Calories probably never exceeds 3.5K.

Thanks
It could probably make you gain more fat if you're in a reduced (low NAD:NADH ratio) and stressed state and have a few micronutrient deficiencies. My wife started and quit sugar many times and never noticed a change in physique.
Carbs increase its own oxidation and doesn't require exercise to properly utilize. If there is an issue with energy production, more of it will be converted to fat.

I recommend checking this vid:

B

Blaze

It could probably make you gain more fat if you're in a reduced (low NAD:NADH ratio) and stressed state and have a few micronutrient deficiencies. My wife started and quit sugar many times and never noticed a change in physique.
Carbs increase its own oxidation and doesn't require exercise to properly utilize. If there is an issue with energy production, more of it will be converted to fat.

I recommend checking this vid:

That's exactly correct.
That sugar has to go somewhere. Your body only has 2 options with sugar intake. Oxidize it (converting it to water & extracting energy) or store it as fat. We store what we cannot utilize/oxidize.
Metabolically unhealthy? We burn(oxidize) less of what we eat and store more.
Metabolically healthy? We burn much more and store much less.

That's why the bioenergetic approach has such an emphasis on Thyroid and Metabolism.

Last edited by a moderator:

meatbag

Peat has a couple of articles about it

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

haidut made some good posts about this:

Only Dietary Fat, Not Protein Or Sugar (sucrose), Drives Obesity

gaze

That's exactly correct.
That sugar has to go somewhere. Your body only has 2 options with sugar intake. Oxidize it (converting it to water & extracting energy) or store it as fat. We store what we cannot utilize/oxidize.
Metabolically unhealthy? We burn(oxidize) less of what we eat and store more.
Metabolically healthy? We burn much more and store much less.
what you're missing however, is that there are a lot of ways sugar can be oxidized in an unhealthy state which are not beneficial. for example, the body can increase adrenaline to burn off excess sugar, which causes people to stabilize in a constantly high adrenaline state because the body adapted to the high sugar intake combined with low thyroid. you can also be stuck in glycolysis where the sugar is being converted to lactic acid, creating heat, which is also causing more damage but prevents sugar storage cause its being oxidized. So its not as simple as either burning or storing, its burning it to create co2, without the use of adrenaline and cortisol and instead using thyroid. Ray claimed to eat 8k calories when active and 4k when sedentary, and his numbers were cut in half when he took thyroid. So actually burning too much sugar is not a good thing.

Hans

Forum Supporter
what you're missing however, is that there are a lot of ways sugar can be oxidized in an unhealthy state which are not beneficial. for example, the body can increase adrenaline to burn off excess sugar, which causes people to stabilize in a constantly high adrenaline state because the body adapted to the high sugar intake combined with low thyroid. you can also be stuck in glycolysis where the sugar is being converted to lactic acid, creating heat, which is also causing more damage but prevents sugar storage cause its being oxidized. So its not as simple as either burning or storing, its burning it to create co2, without the use of adrenaline and cortisol and instead using thyroid. Ray claimed to eat 8k calories when active and 4k when sedentary, and his numbers were cut in half when he took thyroid. So actually burning too much sugar is not a good thing.
So in an unhealthy state one should stop eating sugar?
If you take away the sugar (or carbs for that sake), the body will just produce its own through gluconeogenesis. Low carb diets never fix anything.

gaze

So in an unhealthy state one should stop eating sugar?
If you take away the sugar (or carbs for that sake), the body will just produce its own through gluconeogenesis. Low carb diets never fix anything.
yea good point. sugar is still better than the alternative. i was mainly trying to say you can oxidize sugar without being metabolically healthy. fat burning just makes it worse long term

Hans

Forum Supporter
yea good point. sugar is still better than the alternative. i was mainly trying to say you can oxidize sugar without being metabolically healthy. fat burning just makes it worse long term
True. But in a stressed state, there is excess lipolysis and fat oxidation that's messing with glucose oxidation. As long as you have sufficient carbs you'll be shielded from the excess stress, but restoring proper glucose oxidation is key for sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals