Can Someone Recommend Supplements Other Than Antihistamines For Pollen?

Monika P

Thanks, I do take lot of those you listed, but I haven’t tried Boswellia. I may try it.
I am alergic too. Quercetin 2x 250mg a day greatly eliminated my symptoms but I can not take it longer than 2-3days a row, I have salicylate(phenols) intolerance. What dose of quercetin do you take? Neti pot doesnt help?

OP
FocusedOnHealth
I am alergic too. Quercetin 2x 250mg a day greatly eliminated my symptoms but I can not take it longer than 2-3days a row, I have salicylate(phenols) intolerance. What dose of quercetin do you take? Neti pot doesnt help?
I hate the neti pot. It works a little bit and then I’m stuffy again. I know my allergies are from the pollen that is heavy this time of year where I live. I usually take 610 mgs. of quercetin a day.

BibleBeliever

Many of these responses are anti-Peat
Saturated fats are anti-histamine in nature, especially coconut oil.
Thyroid stimulus through dark roast coffee and by helping increasing magnesium retention is strong anti-histamine.
Orange juice is far better than taking vitamin c and a strong anti-histamine through many mechanisms; it's vitamin c and compounds, as well as its high b1 content are potent anti-histamine. The hesperidin in orange juice is a very powerful anti-histamine.

Milk as mentioned is useful too and vitamin d through it's thyroid stimulus.
Ray mentions in one interview about allergens and an animal experiment. The one's with low sugar had terrible reactions to allergens and I think died? Giving them sugars(honey) they recovered and had minimal reaction. Basic application: sugars are a potent anti-histamine; put them in a good dark roast coffee to help.

Probably the most potent of all is salt. White sea salt or pickling salt, it is anti-histamine through several mechanisms. Those who breathe salty sea water are known to have very clear sinuses.

SlowWalker

Kidney contains decent amounts of DAO which can help break down histamine or you can try a kidney DAO extract.

miquelangeles

I don't like any of the antihistamines or corticosteroids either.
I found CoQ10 very effective (the "active" form ubiquinol) 200-300mg/day with no side effects and helps with other issues as well.
Sometimes stacked with 100 mcg selenium and 200 iu vitamin E.
Pycnogenol helps too. And two pranayamas - kapalbhati and bhramari.
The ayurvedic herb Tinospora Cordifolia is also worth trying.

PxD

I live in the mountains around a lot of trees and foliage. I’ve been noticing that this year, the pollen count is extremely high. Makes my nose run a lot. I like to exercize in the morning but when I do lately, the pollen count plus humidity, makes it harder to breath.

Any supplement reccommendations as to what might help with the reaction to pollen, and something helping with breathing?

Funny you posted this, I just posted something on this topic today that might help you. Summary: Vitamin C.

Vitamin C for allergies, gluten intolerance and nosebleeds

PxD

I do take quercetin & vitamin C daily. Maybe I need to up the dosage. I haven’t tried MSM. Is that good for breathing?
How much Vit C are you taking? I wouldn't be surprised if the dose you're taking is an order of magnitude too low.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
Take a methyl donor, TMG (also known as betaine anhydeous) to reduce histamine. Try 1-2g a day in the morning with food.
I went back to a supplement I have that has beet root powder in it. So adding this to my arsenal may help.

OP
FocusedOnHealth
How much Vit C are you taking? I wouldn't be surprised if the dose you're taking is an order of magnitude too low.
I usually take about 2,000 mgs a day. But since you mentioned it, I’m upping my dosage plus more quercertin.Plus, I am adding Boswellia. I’ll report back in the thread if this combo is helping.

youngsinatra

Take a methyl donor, TMG (also known as betaine anhydeous) to reduce histamine. Try 1-2g a day in the morning with food.
+1

More protein should help too, because it supplies methionine, which gets converted into the universal methyl donor SAMe.

If severe, supplemental methionine or active SAMe might be something to experiment with.

supercoolguy

Thyroid stimulus through dark roast coffee and by helping increasing magnesium retention is strong anti-histamine.
Orange juice is far better than taking vitamin c and a strong anti-histamine through many mechanisms; it's vitamin c and compounds, as well as its high b1 content are potent anti-histamine. The hesperidin in orange juice is a very powerful anti-histamine.

Ray mentions in one interview about allergens and an animal experiment. The one's with low sugar had terrible reactions to allergens and I think died? Giving them sugars(honey) they recovered and had minimal reaction. Basic application: sugars are a potent anti-histamine; put them in a good dark roast coffee to help.

Probably the most potent of all is salt. White sea salt or pickling salt, it is anti-histamine through several mechanisms. Those who breathe salty sea water are known to have very clear sinuses.
Best response in RP context:bump

Remember! Supplements can aggravate symptoms bc of certain excipients & impurities.
Dietary Vit C is very easy to come by. Its even in Meat as Dihydroascorbic acid.

Daft

D-Hist combines a bunch of the common ones, some mentioned here, to combine all their punch together at once. Works well: Natural D-Hist: Containing Vit C, Quercitin, NAC, Stinging Nettle and Bromelain.

You have to take 6 of them to get the right dosages for each to get something comparable to an OTC, though might notice something at 2 pills, depending on how sensitive to it.

Note some are mast cell stabilizers, which act over time to stabilize the mast cell (which stores and releases histamine) and reduce it's reactivity, rather than just blocking the histamine receptor like the OTC one's mainly do (though some have stabilizing actions as well), so it's effect is noticed over time.

Also, consider getting a quercetin form that absorbs better to stack with it, as quercetin doesn't absorb very well. Natural Factors - Quercetin LipoMicel Matrix

Last edited:

Peater Piper

The typical Peat approach (more milk and orange juice) is a great way to inflame my sinuses. I've had better results from many of the things posted here (quercetin, bromelain, NAC vitamin c). In fact sucrose in general is a mess for me aside from some small servings from fruit. Starch works great. Different strokes for different folks.

Daft

Best response in RP context:bump

Remember! Supplements can aggravate symptoms bc of certain excipients & impurities.
Dietary Vit C is very easy to come by. Its even in Meat as Dihydroascorbic acid.
Not at doses that start to act as a strong anti-histamine, like 500-3000mg. But yes the concern about artificial vitamin c is warranted.

I live in the mountains around a lot of trees and foliage. I’ve been noticing that this year, the pollen count is extremely high. Makes my nose run a lot. I like to exercize in the morning but when I do lately, the pollen count plus humidity, makes it harder to breath.

Any supplement reccommendations as to what might help with the reaction to pollen, and something helping with breathing?

MSM

ursidae

D-Hist combines a bunch of the common ones, some mentioned here, to combine all their punch together at once. Works well: Natural D-Hist: Containing Vit C, Quercitin, NAC, Stinging Nettle and Bromelain.

You have to take 6 of them to get the right dosages for each to get something comparable to an OTC, though might notice something at 2 pills, depending on how sensitive to it.

Note some are mast cell stabilizers, which act over time to stabilize the mast cell (which stores and releases histamine) and reduce it's reactivity, rather than just blocking the histamine receptor like the OTC one's mainly do (though some have stabilizing actions as well), so it's effect is noticed over time.

Also, consider getting a quercetin form that absorbs better to stack with it, as quercetin doesn't absorb very well. Natural Factors - Quercetin LipoMicel Matrix
keep in mind OP that quercetin can chelate zinc, and vit C and thiol donors like NAC can chelate copper (and zinc). Oysters are not a suitable food to prevent the copper deficiency and DAO is a copper dependent enzyme

Makrosky

Vitamin C works very well for allergies. 2-3 grams x day do it for my cats allergy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals