Can Someone Please Explain Me How 0.001G Weighing Scales Work?

Experienced

I got Kern TGD 50-3C

I just don't understand sh*t I also calibrate it.

IMG_20200925_133642_400.jpg

Summer

What specifically is the issue? You put the container on the scale, press “Tare” so it reads 0, then put the substance you want to measure in the container.

OP
E

Experienced

I don't seem to understand the scaling/dosing/measuring I need help.... :rage

Also the capsules if the backlabel says it has 50 MG pregnenolone for example and I put it on the scale will the result be same or not? What will I see on this scale for example.

Summer

I don't seem to understand the scaling/dosing/measuring I need help.... :rage

Also the capsules if the backlabel says it has 50 MG pregnenolone for example and I put it on the scale will the result be same or not? What will I see on this scale for example.

Well it looks like you have it reading in grams right now. And if you put the entire capsule on, it should read 50mg + the weight of the capsule and any other ingredients in the capsule.

CreakyJoints

I'm sorry if this comes across as patronising, but are you pressing 'TARE' like the other user suggested? Calibration is something else, I believe - TARE will deduct the weight of whatever container you have on it from the final value shown.

I lost my own dish for my scales, so I have to use a different one. I place it on the pressure plate, wait for the digits on the screen to stabilise, then I press TARE: now it should read 0.000 (in perfect conditions...). Now, you can weigh your powder and it will give you the weight of the powder without factoring in the weight of the dish.

These sorts of scales are also often very susceptible to any kind of movement, humidity, temperature, that sort of thing. It does look like yours is on a flat surface, but it's wise to double check and give it time to properly adjust or move it to a different environment if readings are fluctuating too much.

If this is still proving difficult, you could simply weigh the actual dish and manually deduct it from whatever the result it. It should read 0.000 if you remove it, right?

Doses for that stuff depend drastically on what you want to achieve, but I believe Ray Peat advocates only tiny doses on a weekly basis. Perhaps someone has the exact quotation to hand...? I'm sorry I don't have it!

EDIT: very much beaten to it, sorry!

OP
E

Experienced

Well it looks like you have it reading in grams right now. And if you put the entire capsule on, it should read 50mg + the weight of the capsule and any other ingredients in the capsule.
Nope it doesn't it gives me nearly 1 gram or more lol I'm hella confused rn also the P5P containd silica etc and other stuff and it should be 33.8 MG but the reading gives me near 1 to 2 grams. So idk wtf am I doing wrong.

OP
E

Experienced

I'm sorry if this comes across as patronising, but are you pressing 'TARE' like the other user suggested? Calibration is something else, I believe - TARE will deduct the weight of whatever container you have on it from the final value shown.

I lost my own dish for my scales, so I have to use a different one. I place it on the pressure plate, wait for the digits on the screen to stabilise, then I press TARE: now it should read 0.000 (in perfect conditions...). Now, you can weigh your powder and it will give you the weight of the powder without factoring in the weight of the dish.

These sorts of scales are also often very susceptible to any kind of movement, humidity, temperature, that sort of thing. It does look like yours is on a flat surface, but it's wise to double check and give it time to properly adjust or move it to a different environment if readings are fluctuating too much.

If this is still proving difficult, you could simply weigh the actual dish and manually deduct it from whatever the result it. It should read 0.000 if you remove it, right?

Doses for that stuff depend drastically on what you want to achieve, but I believe Ray Peat advocates only tiny doses on a weekly basis. Perhaps someone has the exact quotation to hand...? I'm sorry I don't have it!

EDIT: very much beaten to it, sorry!
20200925_181711.jpg
20200925_181718.jpg

So like, when you turn the scale on with the small black platter on it, it reads ZERO right? It should read zero as soon as it turned on, no need to press tare or anything.

Then you simply dump the powder on there, and what does it say?

Also there is no way that amount of powder is 8 grams of anything. You're doing something wrong.

OP
E

Experienced

So like, when you turn the scale on with the small black platter on it, it reads ZERO right? It should read zero as soon as it turned on, no need to press tare or anything.

Then you simply dump the powder on there, and what does it say?

Also there is no way that amount of powder is 8 grams of anything. You're doing something wrong.
I'm not doing anything wrong , here is an example roasted coffee bean needs to be approximately .125g and here it shows per bean f*king 2 grams while it needs to be lesser than this. I Contacted customer support and see if they can replace it with a ISO calibrated Certification. Atleast they ****88 me over and , and now I'll do it back. :cigar:
20200925_184959.jpg

OP
E

Experienced

I'm not doing anything wrong , here is an example roasted coffee bean needs to be approximately .125g and here it shows per bean f*king 2 grams while it needs to be lesser than this. I Contacted customer support and see if they can replace it with a ISO calibrated Certification. Atleast they ****88 me over and , and now I'll do it back. :cigar:
View attachment 19682
And yes I did calibrate the Weighing scale so it should be right but it shows things wrong.

Whichway?

You need to put the black plastic tray (called a weighboat) onto the scales with nothing in it. When you have done that the scale should read a figure in grams. When that number has stabilized which might take a couple of seconds, press the TARE key. Wait. The scale should reset the weight with the weighboat on it now to 0.000 grams. Now you are ready to tip your powder or capsule or whatever you want to measure onto the weighboat to get the weight of just that substance.

OP
E

Experienced

You need to put the black plastic tray (called a weighboat) onto the scales with nothing in it. When you have done that the scale should read a figure in grams. When that number has stabilized which might take a couple of seconds, press the TARE key. Wait. The scale should reset the weight with the weighboat on it now to 0.000 grams. Now you are ready to tip your powder or capsule or whatever you want to measure onto the weighboat to get the weight of just that substance.
The weighboat I already done that with it together. It shows on the pocket scale that it is 50 grams when I put the weighboat on another weigh scale it shows me 3.4 grams , so there is some misleading stuff going around also the calibration on this scale has no certification.

Calibrated to
Factory calibration ensures accurate readings

Calibration according to manufacturer standards is part of Voltcraft Quality Assurance. This ensures high quality products and compliance with tolerance limits as outlined in the user manual. This does not include certification.

Factory calibration ensures accurate readings
Calibration according to manufacturer standards is part of Voltcraft Quality Assurance. This ensures high quality products and compliance with tolerance limits as outlined in the user manual. This does not include certification.

DAkkS Certificates
For many years, Deutsche Akkreditierungsstelle (DAkkS) has been overseeing accredited equipment certification providers across Germany, aiding the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB, the federal testing and accreditation body) when it comes to ensuring the quality of industrial measurement procedures. The calibration accuracy of DAkkS-accredited laboratories is second to the PTB only, and is admissible at court. Moreover, DAkkS certificates meet globally agreed DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 standards and, thus, are recognised across the world. Certification is ideal for test equipment users who need an extra high safety, accuracy and reliablity, and applies to test equipment that falls into one of the following categories.

ISO Certification
Industry quality assurance has been subject to certification since 1987, and now also includes a wide range of service providers including banks, insurance companies, retailers, trades people and hospitals. Moreover, additional guidelines and regulations apply to the pharmaceutical (CFR, GMP), food (HACCP) and automotive industry (VDA, QS9000, ISO TS 16949). As a result, many commercial service providers now manage testing and calibration requirements centrally.

OP
E

Experienced

OP
E

Experienced

From the expected values, it seems 17x more sensitive. The adjustment weight is probably a metallic cylinder that's sold separately. If you calibrated using something that weighs about 3 instead of 50 g, it would explain such sensitivity.
And no I used the weighing that they delivered with also that calibrates the scale.