Can someone explain me what makes the fat antithyroid

BaconBits

I dont quite understand the Ray Peat writing, what exactly makes the fat(PUFA) antithyroid.

1.Is it the nature of the PUFAs

2Or is it the fact that they oxidize quickly and the oxidized version of the fat is antithyroid

What if someone is to cook with olive oil and the oleic acid is oxidized, would oxidized oleic aid be antithyroid

Mittir

PUFA blocks thyroid in many different ways, oxidation is one part of it.
Oleic is the least harmful of all the unsaturated fats.
Omega 6 is a precursor to inflammatory products and inflammation
initiates a whole cascade of bad things.
Even without oxidation PUFA is able to block thyroid. Here is a quote from RP.
Cooking makes olive oil more toxic, mainly by destroying anti oxidants and
oxidizing 10 % PUFA. But this PUFA gets oxidized inside our body even when it was
cold pressed and unheated. PUFA and estrogen increases each others activity.
Estrogen blocks hormone secretion from thyroid.

"The great difference in water/oil solubility affects the strength of binding between a fatty acid and the lipophilic, oil-like, parts of proteins. When a protein has a region with a high affinity for lipids that contain double bonds, polyunsaturated fatty acids will displace saturated fats, and they can sometimes displace hormones containing multiple double bonds, such as thyroxine and estrogen, from the proteins that have a high specificity for those hormones. Transthyretin (also called prealbumin) is important as a carrier of the thyroid hormone and vitamin A. The unsaturation of vitamin A and of thyroxin allow them to bind firmly with transthyretin and certain other proteins, but the unsaturated fatty acids are able to displace them, with an efficiency that increases with the number of double bonds, from linoleic (with two double bonds) through DHA (with six double bonds). "

Beebop

Some RP quotes:

These oils are so unstable that they begin to spontaneously oxidize even before they reach the bloodstream.
The Great Fish Oil Debate

The unsaturated oils in some cooked foods become rancid in just a few hours, even at refrigerator temperatures, and are responsible for the stale taste of left-over foods. (Eating slightly stale food isn't particularly harmful, since the same oils, even when eaten absolutely fresh, will oxidize at a much higher rate once they are in the body, where they are heated and thoroughly mixed with an abundance of oxygen.)
Coconut Oil

My bold

Basically, it is impossible to eat PUFA and have it remain unoxidized in the body.
That certainly clarifies things for anyone searching for "cold-pressed" rapeseed oil etc, in "health food" shops. :lol:
Sadly that includes me in the past :shock: :?

BaconBits

are there any chemists here to post how and oxidized omega 6 acid looks like and oxidized oleic acid.

Only thing I found was a wikipedia link " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification " and it suprised me, I always thought that the oxidation will take place on the double bound and that the double bound will become a single bound?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Can Someone Please Explain Me How 0.001G Weighing Scales Work? Suppliers 31
A Can Someone Explain Why Fluoride Is Bad? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Kingpinguin Could Someone Explain How Inflammation Causes Diabetes (metabolic Disease) On Cell Level Metabolism 7
Lokzo Can Someone Please Explain Cyproheptadine Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 53
A Can Someone Explain The Case Against Vegetables Here? Discussing Dietary Models 6
Lokzo Can Someone Explain How Animal Fat Is HEALTHY Diet 13
J Can Someone Explain The Relationship Between Thyroid Function And Darkness? Thyroid and Hormones 4
R Can Someone Explain What I Should Be Doing Differently? Diet 0
johnwester130 Can Someone Explain This Brand Of Coconut Oil ? Diet, Recipes 1
mayweatherking Can Someone Explain In Simple Terms The Effects Of Protein And Sugar On Blood Sugar/Insulin Levels Ask For Help or Advice 9
LukeL Can Someone Explain NAD+/NADH Ratio To Me In A Digestible Way? Science Basics 6
M Can Someone Explain MThfr mutation LI5? Genes, Radiation 12
A Why someone look like this? Ask For Help or Advice 61
johnwester130 Looking to buy dht powder from someone Merchant Forums 16
J Tips for someone getting dental x-rays Oral Health 7
T Need someone to talk to derealized state Mental Issues 8
Hgreen56 Someone Use A Milk Cream Separator? Diet 5
T Need To Chat With Someone About A Family Mber Passing Male Issues 4
D Could Someone Who Speaks Bio Help Me Interpret (potassium Permeability) Ask For Help or Advice 1
A Controversial Info Against Saturated Fats. Can Someone Help Making Sense Of This? Coconut Oil 11
U Can Someone Help Me Interpret My Lab Results ? Hair & Nails 6
T Can Someone Lay Out A Factual Case That Refined Sugars And Other Stimulants Waste The Bod Resources? Diet 5
Giraffe From Someone Dead You Can't Take Living Organs Mind, Sleep, Stress 39
Hgreen56 Has Someone Positive Experience Lowering Cortisol With Caffeine? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
N Can Someone Help Analyze These Labs? Specifically Thyroid And Cholestrol Thyroid and Hormones 1
berk Someone Experienced Energy From Glycine? Metabolism 8
L Someone Posted A Link To An Aspirin Study Recently That I Can't Find Aspirin 6
A Can Someone Post September 2019 Newsletter? Articles & Newsletters 13
redsun Hypothetical: What Would Someone Who Seems To Be Experiencing Some Symptoms Of Heart Failure Do? Ask For Help or Advice 14
Fractality NDT Universally Recommended For Someone Who Doesn't Obtain Thyroid From Diet? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 3
C Can Someone Please Tell Me How I Can Buy These Products? I Dont See A Button To Buy Them. Thank You! IdeaLabs 1
GorillaHead Someone Please Help Me With My Life Long Appeptite Problem Ask For Help or Advice 22
O How Can I Convince Someone That Salt Isn't Evil? Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 12
K Recommended Diet For Someone With Arterial Thoracic Outlet Syndrome? Diet 10
N Can Someone Help Analyze These Cholesterol Levels Cholesterol 13
cellboy Is It Dangerous To Have Intercourse With Someone Who‘s On Birth Control? Male Issues 0
D Hoping Someone Can Help Me Sort Out My Issues Metabolism 42
biggirlkisss Can Someone Help Me Build This? Ask For Help or Advice 0
N Can Someone Please Help Me Get Cyproheptadine? Ask For Help or Advice 7
ddjd Can Someone Help To Send A Few Supplements From USA To Europe For Me Ask For Help or Advice 4
N Can Someone Please Help Me Interpret My Thyroid Levels? Ask For Help or Advice 17
dilantinoid Someone On Here And I Have The Same New York City Psychiatrist Mental Issues 0
N Can Someone Please Try To Help Me With My Situation? Ask For Help or Advice 32
D Can Someone Help With Thyroid Results Metabolism 13
michael94 How Important Is The Appearance Of Someone Offering Health Advice To You? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 9
biggirlkisss Rifaximin For Someone Who Very Uncomfortable Ask For Help or Advice 0
Elysium Can Someone Decipher Tyw? Sugar, Honey 81
johnwester130 Found Someone Selling 100mg Capsules Of Biotin Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Luann Can Someone Discuss This Parrot Quail Study Science 2
thms Can Someone Help Me Out With T3, Does It Cause Shutdown? Overall Help Is Really Appreciated Ask For Help or Advice 84