Can Someone Explain In Simple Terms The Effects Of Protein And Sugar On Blood Sugar/Insulin Levels

I have been confused about protein and sugar in general and I think my lack of understanding in how it effects insulin/cortisol, I think I may be hurting myself in some of the foods I am eating due to too much protein or not enough sugar or vice versa.

My understanding is protein raises stress hormones, so sugar will lower them down. But how does insulin play a part here? I always thought insulin was released to counteract sugar, but I thought I read somwhere protein releases insulin as well.

Can someone in simple terms explain how sugar effects cortisol/insulin, along with how protein will efect cortisol/insulin, and how the ratios between the two can achieve whatever we are trying to achieve?

Elephanto

Protein contains amino acids. Amino acids trigger insulin (the most potent at that is Leucine). Insulin's job is to lower blood sugar, essentially putting you in a hypoglycemic state. This state triggers the stress hormones. Eating carbs raise blood sugar so that the insulin response will not put you in a hypoglycemic state but instead normalize your blood sugar, avoiding any stres response. Like you said, carbs themselves trigger insulin, but eating protein at the same time will trigger some more. This is desirable because it lowers the glycemic index of the carb you're eating.

As for the ratio, I'm really not sure but milk has like 1.5:1 and it's supposed to be a complete food for (baby) human beings, so it's probably not horrible. I personally go with 2:1 but I'd be interested to know the optimal ratio as well.

tara

As for the ratio, I'm really not sure but milk has like 1.5:1 and it's supposed to be a complete food for (baby) human beings, so it's probably not horrible.
Human milk (complete food for baby human) is more like 7g lactose and 1.1g protein per 100g milk.

I'm thinking what suits for adults varies quite a bit - quite possibly somewhere between 1.5 : 1 to 6 : 1.

OP
mayweatherking
Protein contains amino acids. Amino acids trigger insulin (the most potent at that is Leucine). Insulin's job is to lower blood sugar, essentially putting you in a hypoglycemic state. This state triggers the stress hormones. Eating carbs raise blood sugar so that the insulin response will not put you in a hypoglycemic state but instead normalize your blood sugar, avoiding any stres response. Like you said, carbs themselves trigger insulin, but eating protein at the same time will trigger some more. This is desirable because it lowers the glycemic index of the carb you're eating.

As for the ratio, I'm really not sure but milk has like 1.5:1 and it's supposed to be a complete food for (baby) human beings, so it's probably not horrible. I personally go with 2:1 but I'd be interested to know the optimal ratio as well.

thanks. do you know where coffee plays a part here?

Elephanto

Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity but regular coffee consumption is linked with lower incidence of diabetes. It's the antioxidant part of coffee that preserves the pancreas and liver to keep insulin sensitivity high. I would not drink coffee with meals, rather an hour after. also apple cider vinegar before a meal will lower the glycemic index of meals, as well as including a small amount of fat (but no more than 7g, it worsens insulin sensitivity past this).

Amazoniac

Effects of protein on glycemic and incretin responses and gastric emptying after oral glucose in healthy subjects

Neutral drinks (300ml) were used as bases for the following additionals:
- 50g glucose alone
- 30g gelatin alone
- Both combined

And were given to 9 people. They kept collecting samples from the blood after intervals and found that:
  • When combined, the blood glucose peaked lower compared to glucose alone
  • When glucose was present, as expected, blood values went lower than the baseline; however the dip was also less pronounced and more controlled
  • Peaks for plasma GIP were also higher for glucose alone than the combined drink
  • Addition of protein to glucose slowered the gastric emptying, but they mentioned that that could be explained by the additional calories. According to them, protein stimulates cholecystokinin, and that could've contributed as well
  • Gelatin drink elevated insulin but didn't affect glucose concentrations. And since it didn't fall after insulin release, they suggested that it was due to "concurrent glucagon release"
  • "The same investigators [from a study on diabetics] then studied the effects of adding glycine (12) or proline (13), both of which are found in gelatin, to oral glucose in healthy volunteers and reported a reduction in blood glucose but no increment in the insulin response."
  • Whole proteins are milder on insulin than broken-down ones
Viscosity As An Overlooked Factor In Controlling The Glycemic Response Of A Meal

Hgreen56

Caffeine decreases insulin sensitivity but regular coffee consumption is linked with lower incidence of diabetes. It's the antioxidant part of coffee that preserves the pancreas and liver to keep insulin sensitivity high. I would not drink coffee with meals, rather an hour after. also apple cider vinegar before a meal will lower the glycemic index of meals, as well as including a small amount of fat (but no more than 7g, it worsens insulin sensitivity past this).
Do you have any proof/study that showing this?

Jessie

Do you have any proof/study that showing this?

I don't think it does. Caffeine can make you use glycogen at a faster rate, so if you tap out everything your liver was storing, then it can increase lypolisis, at which point, the insulin sensitivity would be worse.

But this doesn't really have anything to do with caffeine's intrinsic pathology within the organism. Thyroid hormone or any metabolic stimulate could easily do the same thing if you're not careful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals