Can Someone Decipher Tyw?

Do you eat starch?

34634634643.PNG

80% eat starch
20% no starch

OP
Elysium

Elysium

Eli5: experiment and find what works best.

THIS. Let me address this since I see this advice dispensed a lot here. THIS WILL NOT WORK for most people. Unlike some drama queens, hypochondriacs, or some hypersensitive people here, most people wont have digestive upsets, brain fogs, temperature drops, higher heart rates, they won't faint, instantly gain or lose fat, or feel whether their T3 level is up on down...from the food they eat.

Vast majority of people, myself included, can eat anything, including utter garbage, and they won't have any short or mid term signals telling them whether they are doing the right or the wrong thing.

Until of course they get cancer, or diabetes, or wipe out their thyroid, but THAT is not the "experimentation" I want to get into. So no, the SELF EXPERIMENTATION doesn't wok for most, at least not to the extent that you could build a diet lifestyle upon.

That's why people look for credible advise that is founded and backed up. That's what makes tyw's posts stand up above the rest, is the intricate reasoning, which what made me start this thread. But of course being layman I am, I can't tell whether he's right or wrong.

Just to give you an idea, I have been reading this forum and Peating quite strictly for over two years. Milk, orange juice, quark, honey, eggs, gelatin, carrots, liver...that is 95% of my diet. The rest is also very peaty ie I don't cheat. With the exception of some minor added belly fat, I feel good, but I also felt just as good eating paleo, or even eating five big macs a day.

But I am still looking for the silver bullet,
not because I need to make my present state better, but because I have kids and want to live long. I mean we know how universe got started and how long ago, but we don't know for sure what is good to eat. That is just ridiculous.

milk_lover

tyw's writings is very complicated for me to understand because I don't see direction in his writings or maybe English is my third language. But I can totally understand Ray Peat. What gives?

Regardless, I respect him and his opinions and he is clearly smarter than me lol so there is that.

Jarman

Tyw's posts are easier to understand once you read them similarly to research papers. Always read the first and the last few paragraphs for his final conclusions / hypothesis then read all his data and references that support his conclusions.

I like how he puts so much emphasis on context. It's a concept that's very easily overlooked in this forum yet it's extremely crucial IRL. That's why some people can tolerate starch and others can't, some can handle super low fat while others can't, and some get better with Peat diet while others get worse.

We can't depend on just research studies alone. In real world, context is very important. Each of us is different and living in huge variety of environments. There's no such thing as one-size-fits-all approach to fix health.

Last edited:

Just a snapshot at the time of a poll of 70 people, 70 out of a few thousand members. Not all who may vote in a poll actually write in threads, as I know from PM's, not all who PM write in threads, even once. There are a lot of "ghosts." The fact remains that the most vocal in threads where a person asks for advice are anti-starch, which is fine because there is enough of a Peat argument why that should be something the person tries, but there is also the argument that I make that they also may be able to try starch. Context.

Last edited:
This would be interesting @Westside PUFAs. I feel it would be worth doing and could mainly be a copy/paste job of what you have already written. Have you considered writing a blog?

I'll do an FAQ page but not an ongoing blog. Just one page that I update when I do. I like videos for all kinds of topics better than written blogs but I have to learn how to edit video.

schultz

I eat starch, I just think fruit is better. I eat starch when good fruit is not available. Who would eat starch when they have access to good fruit? Fruit is way tastier and doesn't require processing. Obviously this is my personal opinion, and I respect other peoples opinion when they say they like the taste of starch better. Taste and enjoyment are two things that should be considered.

I assume Ray thinks along the same line. You can be healthy eating starch. You can be healthier eating good fruit.

schultz

Why do you think that people who sell all sorts of fruits don't eat a fruit-based diet? They do snack on fruits, but it seems to be only a part of their diets. No sarcasm.

They like other things more? Possibly cultural influences as well.

schultz

In other words, if fruit is so superior, why don't they eat a diet that's exclusively based on fruits as their source of carbs?

I don't know. It would depend on the individual. Like I said, maybe they like starch more.

Would you choose plain starch (like potatoes with no butter and salt) over fresh fruit? I would once in a while I think, but I definitely enjoy starch a lot more with butter and salt on it. Most of the time I would pick the fruit. Starch is a fantastic vehicle for other foods like butter, cheese, salt, jam, etc.

Amazoniac

I don't know. It would depend on the individual. Like I said, maybe they like starch more.

Would you choose plain starch (like potatoes with no butter and salt) over fresh fruit? I would once in a while I think, but I definitely enjoy starch a lot more with butter and salt on it. Most of the time I would pick the fruit. Starch is a fantastic vehicle for other foods like butter, cheese, salt, jam, etc.
I don't know either, but what I do know from studying your work is that things can coexist in harmony..

schultz

I don't know, but what I do know from studying your work is that things can coexist in harmony..

My work? I'm not sure I am worth studying unless that is a typo haha. I just really like fruit (only good fruit... I get sad in the winter). I like starch too, but not as much as fruit. That might change if I lived somewhere with access to a lot of fruit. If I had fruit all the time I might start preferring starch simply because fruit is everywhere and I want something different.

I don't know! And stop replying so quickly dammit, I can't respond as fast as you! :mad:

Amazoniac

My work? I'm not sure I am worth studying unless that is a typo haha. I just really like fruit (only good fruit... I get sad in the winter). I like starch too, but not as much as fruit. That might change if I lived somewhere with access to a lot of fruit. If I had fruit all the time I might start preferring starch simply because fruit is everywhere and I want something different.

I don't know! And stop replying so quickly dammit, I can't respond as fast as you! :mad:
Reminded me of this:
THE TOLERANCE OF MAN TO COLD AS AFFECTED BY DIETARY MODIFICATIONS: PROTEINS VERSUS CARBOHYDRATES, AND THE EFFECT OF VARIABLE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING | AJP Legacy
"Thomas (2) believes that the Eskimo has no distaste for carbohydrate foods; their absence from the Eskimo diet results from their unavailability. On the other hand, Burton and associates (3) have reported that in a cool environment, human subjects prefer foods of higher caloric value per gram and lower equivalent respiratory quotient, and that appetite plays a significant role in acclimatization to cold."

schultz

Reminded me of this:
THE TOLERANCE OF MAN TO COLD AS AFFECTED BY DIETARY MODIFICATIONS: PROTEINS VERSUS CARBOHYDRATES, AND THE EFFECT OF VARIABLE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING | AJP Legacy
"Thomas (2) believes that the Eskimo has no distaste for carbohydrate foods; their absence from the Eskimo diet results from their unavailability. On the other hand, Burton and associates (3) have reported that in a cool environment, human subjects prefer foods of higher caloric value per gram and lower equivalent respiratory quotient, and that appetite plays a significant role in acclimatization to cold."

Interesting! There might be truth in both of those.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Technically he's not allowed to do that because the "Ray Peat Debate" section was taken down a long time ago by Charlie.
That was taken down due to rearranging the entire forum. The topics that were in that forum were moved to the correct sub-forums that were created.

If you have a theory that is directly opposing Ray Peat, then please, as the rules state, let the reader know so that the new reader who does not know Peat is made aware that your statements are in direct contradiction. Also, please do not spam the entire forum with your theory, keep it to a single thread if possible, like @Drareg says, make a thread so you can present your evidence, and let's talk it out. If you must put your theory in multiple threads, simply post a link to your opposing theory that you have already stated somewhere else on the forum. Also, don't come in here all high and mighty with an I am better then you or know better then you attitude, or what I like to call "elitism".

We are all in this together and trying to work towards the better. Doing so in a respectful manner will benefit the entire group, even in disagreement.

:hattip

Last edited:

xiaohua

@Westside PUFAs I like that you present a different perspective on the RP diet besides the standard 'milk, OJ, eggs, gelatin, liver' interpretation that's been done to death (don't get me wrong, I know this approach has value for many people). Sorry if you've answered this already, but what's your stance on salt / sodium?