Can Some People Not Convert Beta Carotene To Retinol?

ddjd

Is this a genetic thing? whats the reasons why someone might not be able to convert beta carotene to retinol?

Peatful

I was told low vitamin A

Peatful

You were told what about low vitamin A
I had carotenemia due to low vitamin A and subsequent hypothyroidism (Peat says thyroid).

nikkmm

Yes it is a thing. Chris Masterjohn recommends to put 23andme data into StrateGene and get a report. Look at BCO1 rs11645428 on your bonus SNP report. I am homozygous GG which results in diminished ability to convert beta carotene to retinol. I have had orange calluses for years and just tested my vitamin a levels with Quest... they were 29 and the range is 38-98. Obviously I started supplementing retinol. I’ve had problems in the past supplementing thyroid and progesterone and I expect retinol deficiency is why.

marcar72

Chris Masterjohn recommends to put 23andme data into StrateGene and get a report. Look at BCO1 rs11645428 on your bonus SNP report.

I got FIVE polymorphisms that affect beta carotene conversion!! BCO1 rs11645428 and two others are homozygous (double whammy!) and the two remaining are heterozygous (whammy!)

So I definitely CANNOT rely on beta carotene as part of my vitamin A intake.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I got FIVE polymorphisms that affect beta carotene conversion!! BCO1 rs11645428 and two others are homozygous (double whammy!) and the two remaining are heterozygous (whammy!)

I haven’t used StrateGene but I have 3 polymorphisms that I know of that effect beta carotene conversion. One is homozygous and the other 2 are heterozygous. I don’t think I can rely on beta carotene either. At some point I’ll pay to have my raw data analyzed. Taking vitamin A didn’t help me but thyroid did somewhat.

lvysaur

This isn't as simple as getting vitamin A

rs11645428 - SNPedia

What you'll notice is that the minority gene is most common in Italians, much moreso than north europeans. This hints at the fact that it probably doesn't have much to do with milk or dairy consumption--Italians are more lactose intolerant than many groups worldwide, including both North Europeans and Indians, probably also the Masai (who are shown).

So milk-drinking people who got more retinol in their diets actually have a better ability to convert than Italians. Muscle meats contain no retinol. Perhaps you can make the argument that there was more liver consumption or something, but I doubt it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals