Can Skin PUFA be displaced with topical saturated application?

GorillaHead

As the question poses can skin pufa be displaced if someone were to apply saturated oils on their skin?

BrianF

I believe so, read an article on here quite a few years ago in which it was claimed that applying a highly saturated fat such would alter the sub-dermal fat.

OccamzRazer

Great question, hopefully someone can provide a comprehensive answer!

I wonder if the opposite is also true: topical PUFA displacing saturated fat in the skin.

alephx

The model (unsubstantiated, though there are some relevant papers that made me consider) I have of how saturated fat affects PUFA in the body is the following: When PUFA concentration is high, the body will do a best effort not to use it as energy, store it, etc... When SFA increases, it becomes "safer" for the body to release PUFA as the saturated fat stabilizes in an antioxidant kind of way. Now another theory I have is that the body will preferentially store PUFA in the skin, specially in areas there is no sun exposure ---> backne, belly fat, etc... I guess a limiting factor is how much absorption you can get through the skin. Also anecdotally, after a sunburn, using coconut oil topically makes me peel badly, I think it increases my vitamin A reqs, which are already pretty high :( as having a ton of carrots at the same time avoids it.

MidBicep

The model (unsubstantiated, though there are some relevant papers that made me consider) I have of how saturated fat affects PUFA in the body is the following: When PUFA concentration is high, the body will do a best effort not to use it as energy, store it, etc... When SFA increases, it becomes "safer" for the body to release PUFA as the saturated fat stabilizes in an antioxidant kind of way. Now another theory I have is that the body will preferentially store PUFA in the skin, specially in areas there is no sun exposure ---> backne, belly fat, etc... I guess a limiting factor is how much absorption you can get through the skin. Also anecdotally, after a sunburn, using coconut oil topically makes me peel badly, I think it increases my vitamin A reqs, which are already pretty high :( as having a ton of carrots at the same time avoids it.
I think the first theory makes a lot of sense. I am muscular and according to haidut muscles burn fat during the sleep. If I get 3500 calories and just 60g of fat I can't sleep, my skin looks and feels bad, I feel bad, a mess all around. If I get the same calories but less carbs and over 100g of fat though my sleep is pretty good and my symptoms get better the next day.

Jack Earth

I think the first theory makes a lot of sense. I am muscular and according to haidut muscles burn fat during the sleep. If I get 3500 calories and just 60g of fat I can't sleep, my skin looks and feels bad, I feel bad, a mess all around. If I get the same calories but less carbs and over 100g of fat though my sleep is pretty good and my symptoms get better the next day.
What's your height and weight?