Can Redheads Ever Tan?

Soren

Forum Supporter
I was wondering if anyone knows if the right nutrients were consumed that it would be possible for a redhead to tan or at the very least greatly reduce the possibility of burning? Some redheads DO tan and the explanation this is that there are 80 different variants of the redhead gene and some variants have the ability to tan while some do not.

But given that we know that genetics play much less of a role in the organism than we have been led to believe I am curious as to whether or not the ability of some redheads to tan or not is down to environment (diet, vitamin E levels, low pufa, metabolism etc) rather than genetics.

For example consuming adequate vitamin E helps prevents skin damage from UV rays, melanin production is largely dependent on copper and zinc balance and I believe that b-vitamins are also important.

I've read that redheads are much more likely to develop Parkinson's disease, and there has been recent evidence to suggest that low copper levels may be a key factor with regards to PD, perhaps Redheads are more prone to PD due to low levels of copper, as is evidenced by their fair skin and inability to tan.

Would love to know peoples thoughts on this, do they have any experience with people who could not tan who after making dietary or supplemental changes found that they could, redhead or otherwise.

Many thanks

laleto12

I am not a redhead, I am mediterrenean so tanning is very easy for me, but PUFA reduction in the diet definitely helps a lot with the burning. I can say that I dont burn anymore. However, working up to it is very important too. You just cant expect going from a life fully devoid of sun to tanning for hours in the peak UV.

I would start very slowly like 5 to 10 minutes then build up from there. And I've read that circadian rhytym and getting morning and evening sun also helps a lot to build a sun tolerance. I do sunbathe everyday these days for 40-60 minutes a day. For me, its a lifesaver, and I really really love the sun a lot.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Ever tried L-Tyrosine? Seems to work for increased and easy tanning

Never thought of that, do you know by what mechanism it helps for tanning? I am not a redhead myself (although I do have a ginger beard) and I do tan although I also get a layer of freckles on top. This is for someone else I know.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
I am not a redhead, I am mediterrenean so tanning is very easy for me, but PUFA reduction in the diet definitely helps a lot with the burning. I can say that I dont burn anymore. However, working up to it is very important too. You just cant expect going from a life fully devoid of sun to tanning for hours in the peak UV.

I would start very slowly like 5 to 10 minutes then build up from there. And I've read that circadian rhytym and getting morning and evening sun also helps a lot to build a sun tolerance. I do sunbathe everyday these days for 40-60 minutes a day. For me, its a lifesaver, and I really really love the sun a lot.

Thanks for the advice.

milkboi

Never thought of that, do you know by what mechanism it helps for tanning? I am not a redhead myself (although I do have a ginger beard) and I do tan although I also get a layer of freckles on top. This is for someone else I know.

Melanine is made from Tyrosine AFAIK

gaze

a lot of electrolytes, aspirin, coffee along with pufa restriction, vtamin E like you mentioned all help to be able to stay in the sun longer without burning and forming freckles/moles i think.

Last edited:
Just get pufa depleted via skim+sugar diet. I have done it and been able to spend hours in the sun 600km from equator. I'm blonde Caucasian.

gaze

isn't a tanning/brown skin a damaged skin?

I think dry, flaky, red, burned, or skin with alot of moles is a more important sign of damage. I think a healthy tanning is good, like when you see someone whose been indoors and are overly pale they look unwell. There is for sure a balance though and tanning can slip into damage quite easily.

mangoes

I remember a redhead guy on another forum used melanotan and tanned well, his hair literally turned blonde. Idk if it’s safe or not though

redsun

I was wondering if anyone knows if the right nutrients were consumed that it would be possible for a redhead to tan or at the very least greatly reduce the possibility of burning? Some redheads DO tan and the explanation this is that there are 80 different variants of the redhead gene and some variants have the ability to tan while some do not.

But given that we know that genetics play much less of a role in the organism than we have been led to believe I am curious as to whether or not the ability of some redheads to tan or not is down to environment (diet, vitamin E levels, low pufa, metabolism etc) rather than genetics.

For example consuming adequate vitamin E helps prevents skin damage from UV rays, melanin production is largely dependent on copper and zinc balance and I believe that b-vitamins are also important.

I've read that redheads are much more likely to develop Parkinson's disease, and there has been recent evidence to suggest that low copper levels may be a key factor with regards to PD, perhaps Redheads are more prone to PD due to low levels of copper, as is evidenced by their fair skin and inability to tan.

Would love to know peoples thoughts on this, do they have any experience with people who could not tan who after making dietary or supplemental changes found that they could, redhead or otherwise.

Many thanks

No need for them to tan imo. Importance is getting vitamin D through skin and also getting it through diet as well. Also good animal food sources of vitamin D thay we commonly eat. Thats why white skin does better in northern climates that lack sun. Its not necessary to tan. Redheads hot as hell anyway but overall not a fan of tanning cosmetically speaking.

I also read on a forum of redheads getting their hair color to darken to more brown with high dose zinc. Maybe thats why redheads are considered crazy? Zinc has naturally a weaker influence on their mental function for some genetic reason while the stimulating minerals like iron and copper are stronger. I also had lighter brown hair as a kid but it darkened a lot and I would also guess from my high dose zinc usage in the past.

Zinc also calmed me down from how I was when I was younger, energy also less from it but stopping it I kind of just revert back like nothing ever happened. Doesnt make sense to me that zinc darkens hair more but check this article out:

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-breakthrough-doors-melanin-linked-skin-conditions.html

"Scientists have also unveiled an unexpected result: they have found that TYRP1 needs zinc to function, contrary to the established belief in the community that this enzyme needs copper. "We still don't know exactly what role zinc takes in the interaction with TYRP1 and we need extensive further research to find that out", explains Montse Soler López, corresponding author of the paper and scientist at the ESRF."

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
I remember a redhead guy on another forum used melanotan and tanned well, his hair literally turned blonde. Idk if it’s safe or not though

Never heard of that. Sounds interesting although I'm assuming this person would not want to lose their redhair for the sake of a tan.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
No need for them to tan imo. Importance is getting vitamin D through skin and also getting it through diet as well. Also good animal food sources of vitamin D thay we commonly eat. Thats why white skin does better in northern climates that lack sun. Its not necessary to tan. Redheads hot as hell anyway but overall not a fan of tanning cosmetically speaking.

I also read on a forum of redheads getting their hair color to darken to more brown with high dose zinc. Maybe thats why redheads are considered crazy? Zinc has naturally a weaker influence on their mental function for some genetic reason while the stimulating minerals like iron and copper are stronger. I also had lighter brown hair as a kid but it darkened a lot and I would also guess from my high dose zinc usage in the past.

Zinc also calmed me down from how I was when I was younger, energy also less from it but stopping it I kind of just revert back like nothing ever happened. Doesnt make sense to me that zinc darkens hair more but check this article out:

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-breakthrough-doors-melanin-linked-skin-conditions.html

"Scientists have also unveiled an unexpected result: they have found that TYRP1 needs zinc to function, contrary to the established belief in the community that this enzyme needs copper. "We still don't know exactly what role zinc takes in the interaction with TYRP1 and we need extensive further research to find that out", explains Montse Soler López, corresponding author of the paper and scientist at the ESRF."

Great info, many thanks I agree no need to tan I'm more concerned with mitigating skin damage without having to use strong damaging sunscreen all the time. I assumed that if someone is biologically able to tolerate more time in the sun they will have to be able to tan somewhat because they will need to produce melanin for sun protection.

So if I understand the study you linked correctly. It is zinc more than copper they is important for protection from UV rays?

redsun

Great info, many thanks I agree no need to tan I'm more concerned with mitigating skin damage without having to use strong damaging sunscreen all the time. I assumed that if someone is biologically able to tolerate more time in the sun they will have to be able to tan somewhat because they will need to produce melanin for sun protection.

So if I understand the study you linked correctly. It is zinc more than copper they is important for protection from UV rays?

Well I showed the study to point out how zinc may be involved in melanin as well not just copper. I believe the best protection from UV rays is maintaining optimal antioxidants status which involved adequate zinc/copper intake regardless.

So glutathione, vitamin C, vitamin E, and yes zinc and copper for SOD... Minerals are vital for antioxidant protection via SODs and glutathione recycling (selenium, also pro-thyroid). And being able to recycle glutathione is vital as it plays a role in recycling C and E. Quality meat proteins provides AAs for glutathione synthesis and minerals like zinc which are involved in glutathione synthesis. B2 is vital for glutathione recycling as well.

milkboi

I look much healthier with a little tan. If it doesn't help with physical health, at least it's helping with mental health through increased confidence lol.

Being so white, you reflect the sun is just not a good look for most imo (except redheads, they can rock it)

M

metabolizm

PUFA reduction in the diet definitely helps a lot with the burning.

I've noticed this phenomenon too. When I was a kid on holiday, eating PUFA-laden crisps in the sun all day, I'd always end up with terrible burns and also terrible cold sores. Now I can sit in the sun seemingly endlessly without getting burnt, despite being very fair-skinned. I'd like to have a better understanding of the mechanism here.

rei

Can you please share the details of this? I have for some time been thinking about a theory of hair color, and what you wrote seems to be a n1 confirmation of a key aspect of it.