Can PUFA Consumption Cause Acute Insomnia?

Serious Black

I was starting to notice when I ate heavy pufa foods. (my guilty pleasure is nacho chips) then I cannot sleep very well that night and wake up really tired like my sleep didn't really refresh me.

Just wondering if this could happen or maybe it was all in my head.

Luann

Don't know. My mom's had really bad sleeping problems, for twenty years, that no pills are helping her with (well, she's on one now that is able to knock her out but it causes weight gain, which she hates, and it can't be a real, good nights sleep that she gets.) She eats a SAD but few grains, she likes fruit and veggies, so a little cleaner than normal SAD.

tara

I was starting to notice when I ate heavy pufa foods. (my guilty pleasure is nacho chips) then I cannot sleep very well that night and wake up really tired like my sleep didn't really refresh me.
I think it's possible, but doesn't necessarily happen for everyone. Observing the pattern yourself is probably the only way you can tell if that is the case for you.
Higher PUFA in circulation -> reduced metabolism -> disturbed sleep and/or less restful sleep via various possible mechanisms.

Luann

"I think it's possible, but doesn't necessarily happen for everyone."

Yeah, pretty much. Metabolism problems happen in so many ways... one person's heart attack is someone else's stroke, and still a third is headed to a psychiatrist, and so on.

OP
Serious Black

Serious Black

Interesting thoughts guys. I would assume if PUFA's cause the stress response maybe the gloucocorticoids are keeping me awake