Can Progesterone Masculinize A Woman?

cyclops

My wife recently gave birth and is currently breastfeeding our 8 month old son on demand. She has been taking healthnatura progesterone as per it makes her feel good (usually 4-9 drops per day.) Her face seems more masculine then before she gave birth. Progesterone is all she takes besides vitamins. Any ideas on what could be going on?

JoeKool

Well, how old is she? And 'more masculine' in terms of facial hair growth or squaring of the jaw ??

perhaps poorer skin ?

Those are signs of testosterone... it's possible her levels are out of whack from 2 possibilities ... her body should've been producing tons of progesterone during and after pregnancy so a few mg's shouldn't have any affect unless her body wasn't doing so... so the pregnancy could've triggered a menopausal state... or the progesterone she's taking isn't what it says it is...

Finally, to be crass, her genitals would likely appear enlarged before squaring of the jaw... it's 100x more susceptible to hormone changes and the tissue will enlarge sooner than bone structure in face would change... facial or body hair growth would probably be a close race of symptoms (meaning hair growth could be 1st sign, close 2nd is genital changes ... & vice versa)

Oh, and there aren't any male medicines you're taking that she's coming in contact with , right? Women aren't supposed to touch Propecia (only if it cracks open, but you know your house better than me) or androgel... so make sure she's not coming in contact with something daily that is for men only... (Btw, never ever take Propecia, I'm using that as an example here but it's poison for men)

Constatine

By more masculine do you mean more bone mass on her face? Progesterone can certainly stimulate bone growth.

M

marikay

I agree with @Constatine on the bone growth possibility. During pregnancy a woman produces a lot of progesterone on her own. Adding in some after giving birth will just keep the benefits going. And I'm pretty close to positive that postpartum depression is due to the severe drop off of progesterone after giving birth. So I'm guessing your spouse is not dealing with that problem.

I have always found progesterone opposes androgen like effects. This is why I only take a small amount at a time (3 drops twice a day) and for only two weeks and then take a break. Too much and I have a hard time keeping muscle tone. Too little and I start to see hair growing on my upper lip and chin.

Congratulations on the baby, by the way.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Well, how old is she? And 'more masculine' in terms of facial hair growth or squaring of the jaw ??

She is 35 and its our first child! I know we started a bit late. No facial hair growth or squaring of the jaw.

I think the main thing may be her feminine fat distribution. I feel that her face has gotten more of a chiseled look like a man would like to have, hollow cheeks and such. But then again, I think I've seen women with hollow cheeks where it looks good.

perhaps poorer skin ?

Yes, definitely. I never realized how youthful and nice good skin can make one look.

Maybe the masculinization I speak of, has something to do with getting older too. I have a theory that younger people of both sexes look more feminine and older people of both sexes look more masculine. You think there is any truth to this?

OP
cyclops

cyclops

By more masculine do you mean more bone mass on her face? Progesterone can certainly stimulate bone growth.

I don't think her face has gotten bigger in terms of bone mass, but I don't think I'd find that masculine anyway. I think women with larger heads and faces look nice.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

I have always found progesterone opposes androgen like effects. This is why I only take a small amount at a time (3 drops twice a day) and for only two weeks and then take a break. Too much and I have a hard time keeping muscle tone. Too little and I start to see hair growing on my upper lip and chin.

Interesting about the muscle tone. I think another reason I am saying she looks more masculine is because she has somewhat lost her feminine figure. She has like no butt now lol. I read that breastfeeding so much can suck the fat out of women, especially her backside. I find the feminine figure very attractive, so this is a bummer.

Last edited:

JoeKool

Well, older women go thru menopause which shuts off their estrogen... leaving testosterone to run rampant... men typically have oilier skin and are hairier ... which happens to women when they enter menopause ... so 100% older people masculinize

Progesterone can affect her test levels... and has certain masculine affects itself too... so I wouldn't take that any longer...

Drinking much more water helps skin... no sugars or dyes like in soda... all that affects skin big time... sunscreen all the time ( i don't do it, but look at prison inmates in their 50's, they're skin is clear because they're only outside 1 hour a day)... I found creatine helps collagen too... keeps the elasticity of skin high...

But alas, father time is cruel... there are scientific studies showing the body's growth hormone of both mother and father drop dramatically after receiving the 'evolutionary signal' that offspring will continue...

sorry.. had to post it

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Well, older women go thru menopause which shuts off their estrogen... leaving testosterone to run rampant... men typically have oilier skin and are hairier ... which happens to women when they enter menopause ... so 100% older people masculinize

Progesterone can affect her test levels... and has certain masculine affects itself too... so I wouldn't take that any longer...

Drinking much more water helps skin... no sugars or dyes like in soda... all that affects skin big time... sunscreen all the time ( i don't do it, but look at prison inmates in their 50's, they're skin is clear because they're only outside 1 hour a day)... I found creatine helps collagen too... keeps the elasticity of skin high...

But alas, father time is cruel... there are scientific studies showing the body's growth hormone of both mother and father drop dramatically after receiving the 'evolutionary signal' that offspring will continue...

sorry.. had to post it

Really, you'd recommend no more progesterone? I thought that it was good and everyone else seems to be recommending it. She's been taking it for a while and she says it makes her feel a lot better both physically and mentally. I'm thinking those are good signs.

Suncreen? I thought the sunlight was like the best thing in the world? Of course you don't want to burn, that is bad, but I wouldn't think to use sunscreen. I never thought prison inmates in their 50's had particularly good skin.

JoeKool

Sunlight is good for vitamin D, but only 20 minutes... but you can see the difference in people who live on a farm and people who live in a monastery ... and next time you see like a 48 hours or dateline show, and they interview the prisoner who's been doing time for 25+ years, take note of the skin... I promise it's smoother than someone who's lived a normal life of equal age...

As far as prog, this is just my opinion, but why is it needed... ~10mg shouldn't have such a profound affect on her unless there's an underlying issue... such as higher DHT levels than normal women her age... if she's having issues with her period, for example, these are signs of imbalances that should be looked into with blood work... I don't think prog is bad, I just wonder why it's needed at her stage...

Djukami

Yeah, people who avoid sun have smoother skin. I mean, everyone knows that sun makes people older. It completely ages our skin appearance.
@JoeKool I also read that about sugar. But it's very complicated to know if that is all true, because I bet they are talking about refined sugar and things like that. For instance, drinking OJ full of electrolytes may be completely different later on. Even though, I think most fruitsrians have their skin aging faster. Nevertheless, it's very hard to conclude something because I don't know every single fruitarian in the world and how their skin aged or not.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

Yeah, people who avoid sun have smoother skin. I mean, everyone knows that sun makes people older. It completely ages our skin appearance.
@JoeKool I also read that about sugar. But it's very complicated to know if that is all true, because I bet they are talking about refined sugar and things like that. For instance, drinking OJ full of electrolytes may be completely different later on. Even though, I think most fruitsrians have their skin aging faster. Nevertheless, it's very hard to conclude something because I don't know every single fruitarian in the world and how their skin aged or not.

But Raymond Peat loves sugar. And he's all about anti-aging. Also he loves the sun and encourages people to gets lots of sunlight. You guys seem to not know who's house this is.

JoeKool

All valid points... I won't discount sugar's effect on skin... many times the skin is an indicator of what's happening inside our bodies (Dark spots under eyes, outward more towards the temple, for example, are indicators of liver levels out of whack)... so refined sugars or even refined white flour are typically no no's for a good diet...

The sugar from any fruit is fructose (I'm sure you know, any 'ose is just a sugar... dextrose, sucrose, fructose) so in terms of how our bodies treat it... it would be accepted as a carb and used as energy or stored accordingly ... but I do believe the refinement changes things... so sugars from fruits , for example, i believe to be beneficial...

I'll slightly rephrase my sugar comment... the high fructose corn syrup and sucrose in a can of cola is bad for the skin... the phosphorus acid doesn't help matters either... nor the dyes... so to clear your skin up, water is without a doubt first on the list to increase...

I'll stick by my sun comment... i didn't say get away from it... but you can always tell when you meet a woman who grew up in Florida... when she's 50 years old compared to a woman that grew up elsewhere... the crows feet never lie

OP
cyclops

cyclops

I'll slightly rephrase my sugar comment... the high fructose corn syrup and sucrose in a can of cola is bad for the skin... the phosphorus acid doesn't help matters either... nor the dyes... so to clear your skin up, water is without a doubt first on the list to increase...

This makes sense to me. I wonder why Raymond Peat likes Mexican Coke. Yeh, they contain real sugar, but they still have other things in it that I doubt are good.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Any other tips to help me make my wife great again?

shepherdgirl

ll, older women go thru menopause which shuts off their estrogen... leaving testosterone to run rampant...

? See Dr. Peat's paper:
Polvani and Nencioni,5 among others, found that in women, the onset of menopause (the first missed period, suddenly increased bone loss, nervous symptoms such as depression, insomnia, and flushing) corresponds to the failure to produce progesterone, while estrogen is produced at normal levels. This results in a great functional excess of estrogen, because it is no longer opposed by progesterone. Typically, it takes about four years for the monthly estrogen excess to disappear.
-Ray Peat, from
"Menopause and its causes"

YamnayaMommy

Any other tips to help me make my wife great again?
Hey if you’re still around how did things work out for your wife and progesterone supplementation during breastfeeding? I have an almost eight month old, whom I breastfeed on demand, and am considering starting progest e to see if it improves my skin and body comp. did you guys have any more babies? how’s your wife doing? Did the masculinization improve?

hiconscience

I think so, sounds like she needs more fats. full fat dairy, shellfish (vitamin D and fats) and I hate to say it but salmon has a very feminizing effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals