Can progesterone cause delayed period?

K

Kaur Singh

Yes I still have a lot of reading to do, and I hadn't heard of Katherina Dalton so I'll definitely check her out. I'd already listened to that Generative Energy podcast but will re-listen to that particular answer, thanks for pointing it out.

I've been progressively changing my diet to a more Peat-oriented style over the past 4 months or so. Unfortunately I have a lot of digestive problems with milk, whether it's raw or pasteurized. I'm about to get some raw goat's milk to see if I do better with that. If not, I'll continue with greek yoghurt and raw cheese as my sources of calcium and will add a calcium supplement. I don't seem to digest well orange juice either.

I wish I could just hire someone very knowledgeable who could guide me through all of this. Not that I could pay much but something like Danny Roddy's patreon, the email coaching option would be great, however it's all sold out and who knows when will there be more memberships available. This is difficult when you don't have much time to do all the reading and research that needs to be done.

Peat has a few articles on progesterone alone, and also on thyroid

The book

and there are also a few KMUD episodes on endocrinology and progesterone
(google/youtube)

I think personally
the idea is to take ownership of your health
there is a lot to discover about how your own body is working
and how it responds to foods/substances/movement/etc
And with inhabiting your body, you get to notice these changes

How each one responds to a substance varies,
and even how over time how you respond to something can vary

It takes a while to get the hang of Peat's framework
and if your brain is working properly
(i.e. no alzheimer's light / brain fog)
then that's one less thing that gets in the way of understanding/reading

You can also start with Kate Deering's book,
it's a bit of an easier read.

Pick one, and let it guide you.
It can get overwhelming with all the voices
on the nets.

Ah, make sure you are eating enough proteins too.
Also, have you had polycystic ovaries detected in ultrasound?
I remembered that there is something mentioned about this
in the information that comes with the Progest-e
(you can find it on the Long Natural Health website)

Track your temps and HR through out the day
= the basics.

I've seen some people on the nets that healed their 'PCOS'
by focusing on the nutritional aspects
and resolving sources of stress
without supplementing hormones.

With better health, your cycle can lengthen to the 28 days.

Godspeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kaur Singh

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 23.55.09.png

and a lot more here:

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

Peat has a few articles on progesterone alone, and also on thyroid

The book

and there are also a few KMUD episodes on endocrinology and progesterone
(google/youtube)

I think personally
the idea is to take ownership of your health
there is a lot to discover about how your own body is working
and how it responds to foods/substances/movement/etc
And with inhabiting your body, you get to notice these changes

How each one responds to a substance varies,
and even how over time how you respond to something can vary

It takes a while to get the hang of Peat's framework
and if your brain is working properly
(i.e. no alzheimer's light / brain fog)
then that's one less thing that gets in the way of understanding/reading

You can also start with Kate Deering's book,
it's a bit of an easier read.

Pick one, and let it guide you.
It can get overwhelming with all the voices
on the nets.

Ah, make sure you are eating enough proteins too.
Also, have you had polycystic ovaries detected in ultrasound?
I remembered that there is something mentioned about this
in the information that comes with the Progest-e
(you can find it on the Long Natural Health website)

Track your temps and HR through out the day
= the basics.

I've seen some people on the nets that healed their 'PCOS'
by focusing on the nutritional aspects
and resolving sources of stress
without supplementing hormones.

With better health, your cycle can lengthen to the 28 days.

Godspeed!
Wow thank you for all the great resources!
And yes absolutely that's what I'm now on a mission to do, taking ownership of my health, which I had unknowingly given away many years ago, when I was 16 and first diagnosed with PCOS. I've spent decades taking all kind of antiandrogenic drugs, some of which worked but also had pretty bad side effects.

With all that's been happening since March 2020 I've come to realize how present the medical establishment had always been in my life and the lives of many people around me, and how we've never been taught to inhabit our bodies and actually be in touch with them and understand them, communicate with your own body so to speak, and have full authority over it.

Oh yes reading Peat's articles is tough, I've read just a few so far and still processing and needing to read them more times to fully grasp what's being said there. Kate Deering's book is on my list and soon to be purchased and read. Maybe I should've started with that.

I did have PCOS confirmed by ultrasound, but my last two actually showed only one cyst, and the doctor said they didn't look like polycystic ovaries, however I still have many of the symptoms (acne, hair loss, hirsutism, difficult to manage stress and anxiety being the main ones).

I've been tracking my HR and it's usually 56 to 60 beats per minute only, temperature I haven't managed to do so on a consistent basis yet.

Thanks again!

Happycat

I take progesterone all month long with no breaks and I still ovulate and have a period.

We are all different and progesterone doesn't always suppress ovulation, you just need to find out the right dose and what works for you.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

I take progesterone all month long with no breaks and I still ovulate and have a period.

We are all different and progesterone doesn't always suppress ovulation, you just need to find out the right dose and what works for you.
Very interesting. I need to learn how to use it properly, for me. How did you learn, what books did you read, if you don't mind sharing.

I was also thinking of the story I've heard Ray Peat tell at least a couple of times about this doctor he met in a congress who had a very young looking wife who was in her 60's and the doctor told him his wife had been using progesterone for many years. I don't know if he's ever expanded on this story to specify how did this woman use or take progesterone but I'd love to know.

Happycat

Very interesting. I need to learn how to use it properly, for me. How did you learn, what books did you read, if you don't mind sharing.
Sure, well my dr when she first prescribed a progesterone cream for me, she told me to use it continuously, without breaks.

Since then I also added progest e and I noticed that if I take a break during my cycle, I feel awful, get headaches and anxiety again, so now I don't stop.
I'm 45.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

Sure, well my dr when she first prescribed a progesterone cream for me, she told me to use it continuously, without breaks.

Since then I also added progest e and I noticed that if I take a break during my cycle, I feel awful, get headaches and anxiety again, so now I don't stop.
I'm 45.
And why did your doctor prescribe this, for what purpose?
Do you mean you switched from the cream to progest e, or are you using both?

Happycat

I am using both now, cream and progest e.
The reason I started progesterone is that I was having a number of symptoms in perimenopsuse, all of which siggested low progesterone levels.

Matestube

This month I started using topical progesterone (10 mg every night) from days 12 to 24 of my cycle. I usually have a very regular period however I'm already 5 days late, and the only cause I can think of is the use of progesterone. Does progesterone delay periods, and if it does, why?

I've used a micronized progesterone gel, which is the one I have easily available here. I also bought a natural progesterone cream on iherb from Source Naturals but haven't used it yet as I wanted to try this one first. Could the micronized form be the cause for the delayed period?

I've had PCOS for years, with many of the usual nasty symptoms (acne, hair loss, hirsutism, etc.) which I've been treated for with several different medications, with different degrees of success, however I'm not on any medication now (I stopped it last July) and I'm trying to not use drugs, if I can. But I've had very regular periods for many years now.

That's exactly the experiment I made with my GF.

I had a 5% progesterone cream lying around that I don't use anymore (progesterone makes me feel terrible).
I told her to try it out to solve her water retention issues. She applied it for 2 days, and had very early period.

We repeated the experiment a few months later: she applied high doses morning and evening for 7 days, this time it didn't change her period frequency at all.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

I am using both now, cream and progest e.
The reason I started progesterone is that I was having a number of symptoms in perimenopsuse, all of which siggested low progesterone levels.
And for how many years have you been using progesterone in this way?
I suppose you must be checking your levels regularly. Thanks!

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

That's exactly the experiment I made with my GF.

I had a 5% progesterone cream lying around that I don't use anymore (progesterone makes me feel terrible).
I told her to try it out to solve her water retention issues. She applied it for 2 days, and had very early period.

We repeated the experiment a few months later: she applied high doses morning and evening for 7 days, this time it didn't change her period frequency at all.
Hmm so that sounds quite different from what I explain in my post. Does your girlfriend have PCOS?

Matestube

Hmm so that sounds quite different from what I explain in my post. Does your girlfriend have PCOS?

No idea, she didn't test for androgens.
Nothing would indicate so, we just tried progesterone with the intent to reduce excessive water retention brought upon by gut inflammation.

LUH 3417

Has anyone ever taken a huge dose of progesterone and triggered their cycle early? I took half a bottle around day 10 and around day 14 I started spotting, but now on day 15 it actually seems heavy enough to be considered my cycle.

Jennifer

Has anyone ever taken a huge dose of progesterone and triggered their cycle early? I took half a bottle around day 10 and around day 14 I started spotting, but now on day 15 it actually seems heavy enough to be considered my cycle.

I have. I bled heavily every 2 weeks for 10 days straight when taking huge doses. I was under the impression that with a high enough dose, progesterone prevented menstruation so I kept upping my dose thinking it would stop the bleeding, but it only made it worse. I think what was happening is I was triggering early ovulation because I would get clear, stretchy cervical mucus discharge and my libido would skyrocket, just like I experience with my normal cycle. Talking with Ray, I figured out the cause was my thyroid.

LUH 3417

I have. I bled heavily every 2 weeks for 10 days straight when taking huge doses. I was under the impression that with a high enough dose, progesterone prevented menstruation so I kept upping my dose thinking it would stop the bleeding, but it only made it worse. I think what was happening is I was triggering early ovulation because I would get clear, stretchy cervical mucus discharge and my libido would skyrocket, just like I experience with my normal cycle. Talking with Ray, I figured out the cause was my thyroid.
Thank you for this! I usually get stretchy cervical mucus too, this time I didn’t. I felt my left ovary spinning around day 10 and thought ovulation was about to start. Did you take thyroid to stop the bleeding, or do anything else to intervene?

Panopticon

I know 2 girls who don't have periods at all and they look 16 years old at 30 because of progesterone, I have taken a few drops of homemade progest E every day since I was 23 and I am a man... If I was a girl, I would do exactly the same unless I wanted to get pregnant... I am 33 now.

Jennifer

Thank you for this! I usually get stretchy cervical mucus too, this time I didn’t. I felt my left ovary spinning around day 10 and thought ovulation was about to start. Did you take thyroid to stop the bleeding, or do anything else to intervene?

You’re welcome. :) I had to stop taking Progest-E altogether for the bleeding to stop. Thyroid supplementation and a change in diet, mainly increasing my fat and protein intake, normalized my cycle without the need for progesterone. I’ve since experimented with Progest-E again and though it doesn’t cause the same heavy bleeding, it still shortens my cycle.

ivy

I know 2 girls who don't have periods at all and they look 16 years old at 30 because of progesterone, I have taken a few drops of homemade progest E every day since I was 23 and I am a man... If I was a girl, I would do exactly the same unless I wanted to get pregnant... I am 33 now.
Are you implying that menstruation makes women age?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals