Can progesterone cause delayed period?

pastanagueta

This month I started using topical progesterone (10 mg every night) from days 12 to 24 of my cycle. I usually have a very regular period however I'm already 5 days late, and the only cause I can think of is the use of progesterone. Does progesterone delay periods, and if it does, why?

I've used a micronized progesterone gel, which is the one I have easily available here. I also bought a natural progesterone cream on iherb from Source Naturals but haven't used it yet as I wanted to try this one first. Could the micronized form be the cause for the delayed period?

I've had PCOS for years, with many of the usual nasty symptoms (acne, hair loss, hirsutism, etc.) which I've been treated for with several different medications, with different degrees of success, however I'm not on any medication now (I stopped it last July) and I'm trying to not use drugs, if I can. But I've had very regular periods for many years now.

InChristAlone

I would use it til the bleeding starts, and if it's not coming use a big dose before bed and it should start the next morning. But I don't use progesterone at all because I want to ovulate normally and produce my own progesterone from the corpus luteum. The reason a woman would be low progesterone is if she's not ovulating or converting it all to cortisol when under bad stress.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

I would use it til the bleeding starts, and if it's not coming use a big dose before bed and it should start the next morning. But I don't use progesterone at all because I want to ovulate normally and produce my own progesterone from the corpus luteum. The reason a woman would be low progesterone is if she's not ovulating or converting it all to cortisol when under bad stress.
I'll try doing that, resume application til it starts, thanks.
However I'd still like to know, why has it delayed my period? This is what I don't get.

The reason I started using progesterone is I read it can help women with PCOS as apparently we do not make enough progesterone, we tend to be estrogen dominant, and also read it can be good for hair loss (instead of taking an antiandrogen as the usual spironolactone, for example).

Since I'm still far away from perimenopause I read I'm supposed to use it from days 12 to 24 of the cycle, which is when the body would naturally make its own progesterone.

Where am I getting it wrong?

InChristAlone

Ray Peat says from middle of the cycle til bleeding. So days 14 thru 28 of a regular cycle or longer if it goes longer but when I was using it I'd just try taking a big dose to bring it on the next morning. It usually worked. First time using it it can increase estrogen excretion so you might need more initially then you can go back down to a more normal dose. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein for liver health during this time.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

Ray Peat says from middle of the cycle til bleeding. So days 14 thru 28 of a regular cycle or longer if it goes longer but when I was using it I'd just try taking a big dose to bring it on the next morning. It usually worked. First time using it it can increase estrogen excretion so you might need more initially then you can go back down to a more normal dose. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein for liver health during this time.
Thanks for all the great info. If I were to try the big dose, about how many mg. would you normally use?

K

Kaur Singh

er... a big dose of progesterone... at the end of your cycle...
usually you would want to increase your progesterone to signal your body to ovulate (day 14).
Progesterone peaks on day 21
So a big dose on day 28 would be... confusing? for the body.

A cycle 'should' be 28 days.
When you say yours is late, and considering your normal is 24?25? days
- are you still within the 28 days?

The way I know it, is from days 14 to 28 you do progesterone.

You can just wait until your period comes this time
and then start counting from there to day 14.

I prefer spacing it out through out the day
As opposed to all at once.
etc

I think PCOS is stress too,
prob coupled with reduced liver function

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

er... a big dose of progesterone... at the end of your cycle...
usually you would want to increase your progesterone to signal your body to ovulate (day 14).
Progesterone peaks on day 21
So a big dose on day 28 would be... confusing? for the body.

A cycle 'should' be 28 days.
When you say yours is late, and considering your normal is 24?25? days
- are you still within the 28 days?

The way I know it, is from days 14 to 28 you do progesterone.

You can just wait until your period comes this time
and then start counting from there to day 14.

I prefer spacing it out through out the day
As opposed to all at once.
etc

I think PCOS is stress too,
prob coupled with reduced liver function
Yes I usually get my period on day 25, and I'm on day 31 now, so not within the 28 days anymore. Should I wait for it to happen naturally then?

Why do you think it is that the progesterone has delayed my period?

Thank you!

K

Kaur Singh

I would wait for your period,
If it doesn't happen,
keep track of when day 14 would be if you would have gotten it
(on a 25 day cycle, since you stopped taking it then)
and start it then.
Did you notice any of your 'usual' PMS symptoms or..?

one thing to keep in mind,
is that if you 'push' too much,
it may be that what causes the problem and not the substance itself.

progesterone can be tricky if you are hypothyroid and liver function is affected.
you have to work at everything related to metabolism.

Some have mentioned the work of Katherina Dalton
(Peat does too)
I read she would first get her patients to get decent amount of carbohydrates in
before introducing progesterone.

start tracking HR and temp through out the day
read Peat so you can work out what you need to do
that works best for you

and before someone starts the fear-mongering,
keep this in mind:

01:28:49 - Why would a person have a bad response to Progest-E? Beta-glucuronidase and stress

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-l-LGUi9aQ&t=5329s

Last edited by a moderator:

InChristAlone

Progesterone doesn't signal ovulation. It is actually what is used to prevent ovulation ie the morning after pill. Which is why I don't use it because it could theoretically cancel out an ovulation about to happen especially if someone is struggling with low estradiol. If your cycles were only 25 days that could be the result of anovulation.

K

Kaur Singh

Morning after pill = progestin

chigaimasu... it's something else/diff. from progesterone

Last edited by a moderator:

InChristAlone

You can also use progesterone as birth control if you put it up near the cervix. Progest-e that is.

Fairykiller

Ok progesterone peaks after ovulation and can prevent ovulation if taken too early. Keep track of your morning temps or use ovulation strips to know when to start using progesterone (either three days after high temps or when the ovulation strips are negative again).

Progesterone is highest when your pregnant, and then you don’t have a period either. So yes, progesterone can delay your period. If you want your period to start, either lower the dose or stop taking it until after your next ovulation.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

I would wait for your period,
If it doesn't happen,
keep track of when day 14 would be if you would have gotten it
(on a 25 day cycle, since you stopped taking it then)
and start it then.
Did you notice any of your 'usual' PMS symptoms or..?

one thing to keep in mind,
is that if you 'push' too much,
it may be that what causes the problem and not the substance itself.

progesterone can be tricky if you are hypothyroid and liver function is affected.
you have to work at everything related to metabolism.

Some have mentioned the work of Katherina Dalton
(Peat does too)
I read she would first get her patients to get decent amount of carbohydrates in
before introducing progesterone.

start tracking HR and temp through out the day
read Peat so you can work out what you need to do
that works best for you

and before someone starts the fear-mongering,
keep this in mind:

01:28:49 - Why would a person have a bad response to Progest-E? Beta-glucuronidase and stress

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-l-LGUi9aQ&t=5329s

Yes I still have a lot of reading to do, and I hadn't heard of Katherina Dalton so I'll definitely check her out. I'd already listened to that Generative Energy podcast but will re-listen to that particular answer, thanks for pointing it out.

I've been progressively changing my diet to a more Peat-oriented style over the past 4 months or so. Unfortunately I have a lot of digestive problems with milk, whether it's raw or pasteurized. I'm about to get some raw goat's milk to see if I do better with that. If not, I'll continue with greek yoghurt and raw cheese as my sources of calcium and will add a calcium supplement. I don't seem to digest well orange juice either.

I wish I could just hire someone very knowledgeable who could guide me through all of this. Not that I could pay much but something like Danny Roddy's patreon, the email coaching option would be great, however it's all sold out and who knows when will there be more memberships available. This is difficult when you don't have much time to do all the reading and research that needs to be done.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

Ok progesterone peaks after ovulation and can prevent ovulation if taken too early. Keep track of your morning temps or use ovulation strips to know when to start using progesterone (either three days after high temps or when the ovulation strips are negative again).

Progesterone is highest when your pregnant, and then you don’t have a period either. So yes, progesterone can delay your period. If you want your period to start, either lower the dose or stop taking it until after your next ovulation.
Ok I really need to look into the phases of the menstrual cycle, I'm ashamed to say. If I understand your message you're saying to use progesterone as soon as ovulation ends, is that right? And then for how many days?
I wonder why it is that it's usually recommended to be taken days 12 (or 14) to 24 (or 28)
Thanks!

Fairykiller

That’s because of some very outdated idea that the female cycle is always 28 days long and ovulation always happens on day 14 which is bull****. Even in healthy women menstruation can vary between cycles. That’s why it’s a very good idea to know exactly where you are in your cycle instead of just assuming something wrong. Personally I’m using the tempdrop to track my cycle but cheap ovulation strips do the job just fine.

Wait until ovulation is over before supplementing progesterone. If you’re using the strips wait for a positive, keep testing each morning till It’s negative again and then start supplementing.

A healthy luteal phase is at least 10 days long and I would supplement until you reach 12 dpo (so not for 12 days but rather 10 or 11).

Fairykiller

Personally I would also just observe my cycle for one or two months without supplementing. It’s helpful to know if you just ovulate very early but have a healthy luteal phase of at least 10 days or if the second half of your cycle is just way too short.

Jerkboy

It's pretty similar. Just like finasteride. Yes it has differences but effects are similar.

OP
pastanagueta

pastanagueta

Personally I would also just observe my cycle for one or two months without supplementing. It’s helpful to know if you just ovulate very early but have a healthy luteal phase of at least 10 days or if the second half of your cycle is just way too short.
That’s because of some very outdated idea that the female cycle is always 28 days long and ovulation always happens on day 14 which is bull****. Even in healthy women menstruation can vary between cycles. That’s why it’s a very good idea to know exactly where you are in your cycle instead of just assuming something wrong. Personally I’m using the tempdrop to track my cycle but cheap ovulation strips do the job just fine.

Wait until ovulation is over before supplementing progesterone. If you’re using the strips wait for a positive, keep testing each morning till It’s negative again and then start supplementing.

A healthy luteal phase is at least 10 days long and I would supplement until you reach 12 dpo (so not for 12 days but rather 10 or 11).

Very helpful info thank you! Good idea to begin by observing my cycle for a couple of months, before doing anything. I've never really payed much attention to it, and it's about time I do.

K

Kaur Singh

You can also use progesterone as birth control if you put it up near the cervix. Progest-e that is.
in this case, it seems to me to act by preventing the fertilization of the egg.

the morning after pill, the progestin acts more like estrogen and prevents the egg, if it has been fertilized, from implanting in the uterus. it's more an abortive.

if you want to prevent ovulation, or have a miscarriage - estrogen will do it.
isn't that what the pill is after all?
and the DES debacle...

Fairykiller

Estrogen suppresses fsh and this prevents development of a dominant follicle that ultimately leads to ovulation. Progestins suppress LH, blocking ovulation. So if you take progesterone too early, it will prevent ovulation without raising estrogen.