Can progesterone be used as birth control?

DonLore

Since progestins are used to prevent pregnancy, but are harmful, can the real progesterone be used as a birth control? (For example if you take it every day)

“Progesterone is the basic pregnancy protecting substance; when it’s used before fertilizaiton, the body thinks it’s already pregnant, and doesn’t allow fertilization.” -Ray Peat

sunny

In reference to the RP quote above, I think I have heard RP in an interview saying vaginal use before sex would prevent pregnancy. Don't quote me on that, I have not tried it, lol. I think you would still want to practice a basic ovulation tracking method and avoid sex during that time, and then add the progesterone for good measure at all times.

In reference to the RP quote above, I think I have heard RP in an interview saying vaginal use before sex would prevent pregnancy. Don't quote me on that, I have not tried it, lol. I think you would still want to practice a basic ovulation tracking method and avoid sex during that time, and then add the progesterone for good measure at all times.
Sounds like wise advice to me. Throw in a lemon “cap” and you’re good to go! It sure beats birth control pills…

“Women use lemons for a variety of reasons. But in the modern world, it is definitely not used as a form of birth control method.

However, in the 17th century women would take half a lemon and juice it to create a cap. They then would insert the cap into their vaginas. The idea behind the lemon cap was that the lemon rinds that remained once the lemon was juiced would help prevent sperm from penetrating the uterus ”

sunny

Sounds like wise advice to me. Throw in a lemon “cap” and you’re good to go! It sure beats birth control pills…

“Women use lemons for a variety of reasons. But in the modern world, it is definitely not used as a form of birth control method.

However, in the 17th century women would take half a lemon and juice it to create a cap. They then would insert the cap into their vaginas. The idea behind the lemon cap was that the lemon rinds that remained once the lemon was juiced would help prevent sperm from penetrating the uterus ”

:jawdrop: ..... omg, lol, is it just me? I cannot imagine doing that. Better than an unplanned pregnancy, but still...... . Very interesting though.

:jawdrop: ..... omg, lol, is it just me? I cannot imagine doing that. Better than an unplanned pregnancy, but still...... . Very interesting though.
EDIT: aha it was Casanova who brought the lemon caps to his lovers…..

“Casanova wasn't just a ladies' man; he was also a medical visionary. The Italian lover was known to use the empty rinds of lemons as cervical caps, and research suggests that he may have been on to something. While you shouldn't be in a rush to replace your girlfriend's birth control pills with a bowl of citrus fruit, clinical tests have proved that the natural acids in lemon juice kill sperm — and may even be an effective weapon against the AIDS virus. Unfortunately for him, Casanova discovered the magical properties of lemons relatively late in life, long after he had suffered from a multitude of painful venereal diseases.”

Last edited:

VonKeister

Here's what Ray said when asked about it:

"It isn’t likely to have a reliable effect when used orally."

"Several women used Progest-E on plastic diaphragms very successfully. It requires some study, and is relatively messy.
The diaphragms come in different sizes; I think they used about a 1/4 teaspoon, spreading it on both sides of the diaphragm."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals