Can Niacinamide Increase Serotonin?

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
Why do you not?

Having to convince a GP to do a proper iron test, or spending huge amounts for a private test...

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
Why do you not?

Having to convince a GP to do a proper iron test, or spending huge amounts for a private test...

The agencies that take your blood test iron and ferritin each time, at least where I live.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
The agencies that take your blood test iron and ferritin each time, at least where I live.

Mine do the copper sulfate test, see if a drop of blood sinks. I was under the impression that's not a safe way to go, because if you're at a point of failing this test then you are already severly deficient.

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Mine do the copper sulfate test, see if a drop of blood sinks. I was under the impression that's not a safe way to go, because if you're at a point of failing this test then you are already severly deficient.

They send me a CBC, iron, ferritin, globulins, hepatitis and HIV after every donation. I do think the government funds them though.

pboy

only reason I don't such saturation is cause im not a big meat and egg eater...minus trace amounts, my only and main sources of iron is chocolate and whole cane sugar...maybe a small amount in fruits, so I don't think I could actually afford to donate! It was only about a year ago or so that I was recovering from ...what I would consider near emaciation from being a vegan too long back then...not going about things good enough. Im not a big fan of needles and stuff, drawing blood...don't know why...I suppose one day in the future i might get it tested just for referance

G

gummybear

Why does a big dose of niacinamide cause an insatiable hunger for sex?

haidut

Forum Supporter
gummybear said:

Well, if it does lower serotonin like some studies show then it would be expected to to that. The drug pCPA Ray wrote about does the same thing - lowers serotonin and boosts libido like nothing else. The military did tests with pCPA to see what its effects would be on soldiers in combat. You may have seen the news some time ago about the military wanting to create a "gay bomb" that turns enemy soldiers into sex machines so they refuse to fight. Just Google for "USA gay bomb". While pCPA was not used for that, it did provide the idea for the research after the military noticed in the 1960s that pCPA boosts libido so much people lose sight of reality. Rats try to mate with cats when given pCPA, so that's that:):

G

gummybear

haidut said:
gummybear said:

Well, if it does lower serotonin like some studies show then it would be expected to to that. The drug pCPA Ray wrote about does the same thing - lowers serotonin and boosts libido like nothing else. The military did tests with pCPA to see what its effects would be on soldiers in combat. You may have seen the news some time ago about the military wanting to create a "gay bomb" that turns enemy soldiers into sex machines so they refuse to fight. Just Google for "USA gay bomb". While pCPA was not used for that, it did provide the idea for the research after the military noticed in the 1960s that pCPA boosts libido so much people lose sight of reality. Rats try to mate with cats when given pCPA, so that's that:):

I think I just peed myself from laughing :D

What is funny is that when i've used other drugs that lower serotonin, cypro, tianpetine or ondansetron to name a few I don't get this must have titties feeling.

dukez07

I've been using 1/2tsp of niacinamide each day, for the past few days.

It's given me chronic constipation (only gone twice in the last 5 days). Yes, that's chronic for me.

As for its effects, well; It undoubtably causes relaxation, to the point you don't care about anything. I suppose anxiety is slightly better, although, may have been placebo and I'd like to test it in certain situations to gauge its effectiveness against GAD and panic disorder (I suffer both). I don't notice anything by the way of libido, but, who is going to feel sexual when they are compacted with waste? lol.

But then, it makes me wonder. It's all very well saying that serotonin is the evil guy, but, he does the job down there in your gut to make sure things are moving regularly. And every time you expel waste from your body, you are getting rid of a toxic load (hence people feel better after they have been). So if reducing serotonin to such an extent causes a chronic constipation issue, is that really healthier?

Yes, I can add cascara. But I am wondering about this question. I am going to try it with cascara, because I want to see how good niacinamide is without the constipation.

dukez07 said:
I've been using 1/2tsp of niacinamide each day, for the past few days.

It's given me chronic constipation (only gone twice in the last 5 days). Yes, that's chronic for me.

As for its effects, well; It undoubtably causes relaxation, to the point you don't care about anything. I suppose anxiety is slightly better, although, may have been placebo and I'd like to test it in certain situations to gauge its effectiveness against GAD and panic disorder (I suffer both). I don't notice anything by the way of libido, but, who is going to feel sexual when they are compacted with waste? lol.

But then, it makes me wonder. It's all very well saying that serotonin is the evil guy, but, he does the job down there in your gut to make sure things are moving regularly. And every time you expel waste from your body, you are getting rid of a toxic load (hence people feel better after they have been). So if reducing serotonin to such an extent causes a chronic constipation issue, is that really healthier?

Yes, I can add cascara. But I am wondering about this question. I am going to try it with cascara, because I want to see how good niacinamide is without the constipation.

Half a teaspoon has got to be at least a gram-something which is probably akin to taking phenibut for your GABA system. I wouldn't pray to the serotonin gods just yet.

dukez07

Went up to 9g today, and noticed distinct shortness of breath. Quite unpleasant, but eventually subsided.

jyb

haidut said:
So, based on what I have seen tryptophan does not seem to be essential in any way in adult organisms except for being the source of niacin. The role of tryptophan in infections/immunity you bring up is also disputed and there is some evidence that the purpose of the fever is to delete the body of iron AND also deplete tryptophan and tryptophan metabolites. I posted a study on that on the forum but can't find it right now. Also, tryptophan is required for the growth of many pathogenic bacteria. There are many studies to consider but here is one:
http://iai.asm.org/content/75/11/5105.full

Now, that's an interesting hypothesis...

Sol Invictus

From my experience taking more than 50 mg at a time causes bad reaction. I still have not determined my comfortable daily maximum, but just two days ago I took a total of 350 mg and that night I got sleep disturbance. That same day I had taken 50 mg split 3x and felt fine. At supper time I decided to try another 200 mg in one shot with 4 litters of orange juice and my meal. Within half an hour I began to feel a strange sensation. My skin began to tingle, especially my face and scalp. My lips got slightly dry, as well as my mouth. I also began to feel an excitation in my brain although at that time is was not uncomfortable.

Before bedtime I took a glass of oj with some eggshells and salt, and fell asleep. Within four hours I awoke from a very vivid dream with rapid heart rate and had to go pee. I took another cup of oj to see if it woud make me sleep. It took 2 hours to get back to sleep and only with 3mg progesterone. It feels like it overexcited my brain, like a slight feeling of craziness. The next day I had a little feeling of brain fog all day. It does not give me headaches.

By the way I do not have insomnia. This only happens when I try larger doses of B3. I have also experienced this with B6.

One time I tried 1g niacinamide in the late afternoon around 4 pm. It made me drowsy so I decided to take a siesta within 2 hours I woke up heart racing and felt manic. Also it made me urinate 3 times in two hours and my skin got dry/slightly itchy in some places.

I wanted to take B3 for hair loss and gray hair. I read that Dr. Hoffer, MD the discoverer of niacin stated that he saw his hair reverse from white to gray to his original colour using niacin. This is from a nutritionist that claims she has been taking non-flush niacin since in her 20's and now 50 has no grays. She recommends 50 to 500 mg per day.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

@haidut
You said you wouldn't take 4-8 g niacinamide long-term. Do you still believe 3 g to be beneficial in the long-term without any side effects? Elevations in homocysteine come to mind.

Also, do you believe 4.5 grams of thiamine to lower lactate and ammonia, along with the 15 mg biotin to optimize glucose metabolism to be safe in those dosages indefinitely?

And there's this: Nicotinamide supplementation induces detrimental metabolic and epigenetic changes in developing rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The 1-4 g/kg nicotinamide for the rats translates to 6.4 - 26 grams of niacinamide per day, if my division by a factor 12.5 is correct.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
You said you wouldn't take 4-8 g niacinamide long-term. Do you still believe 3 g to be beneficial in the long-term without any side effects? Elevations in homocysteine come to mind.

Also, do you believe 4.5 grams of thiamine to lower lactate and ammonia, along with the 15 mg biotin to optimize glucose metabolism to be safe in those dosages indefinitely?

And there's this: Nicotinamide supplementation induces detrimental metabolic and epigenetic changes in developing rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The 1-4 g/kg nicotinamide for the rats translates to 6.4 - 26 grams of niacinamide per day, if my division by a factor 12.5 is correct.

If the study I posted on cancer metastatses is correct, human equivalent dose of "only" 3g was enough to stop metastases completely. So, that dose can help such serious condition I don't see why most people would need to take that much long term. Long term studies with humans capped at about 1.5g daily. There is a human study with type II diabetes that used 1.5g hor 6 months, and the recent Australian study on skin cancer used 1g for more than 12 months. I can't talk about safety but the doses of thiamine and biotin you mention have been used in humans for months, and even years with no serious issues except GI upset.

DaveFoster

If the study I posted on cancer metastatses is correct, human equivalent dose of "only" 3g was enough to stop metastases completely. So, that dose can help such serious condition I don't see why most people would need to take that much long term. Long term studies with humans capped at about 1.5g daily. There is a human study with type II diabetes that used 1.5g hor 6 months, and the recent Australian study on skin cancer used 1g for more than 12 months. I can't talk about safety but the doses of thiamine and biotin you mention have been used in humans for months, and even years with no serious issues except GI upset.
Thanks for the quick reply, haidut. I'll probably drop it down to the 1.5 g dose then.

Barry Obummer

I wanted to take B3 for hair loss and gray hair. I read that Dr. Hoffer, MD the discoverer of niacin stated that he saw his hair reverse from white to gray to his original colour using niacin. This is from a nutritionist that claims she has been taking non-flush niacin since in her 20's and now 50 has no grays. She recommends 50 to 500 mg per day.

That kind of makes me think he is full of bologna.

tara

At supper time I decided to try another 200 mg in one shot with 4 litters of orange juice and my meal.
You drank 4 l of OJ in one go at a meal and you think it was the niacinamide gave you insomnia and need to pee at night? Do you usually drink such massive amounts at once with no ill-effect?

Sol Invictus

You drank 4 l of OJ in one go at a meal and you think it was the niacinamide gave you insomnia and need to pee at night? Do you usually drink such massive amounts at once with no ill-effect?
Sorry, I meant 1 litre or 4 cups.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals