Can Methylene Blue Increase Serotonin?

ddjd

I get terrible insomnia after taking methylene blue, even if i take it in the morning, and i wonder if this is because it raises serotonin maybe?

meatbag

I get terrible insomnia after taking methylene blue, even if i take it in the morning, and i wonder if this is because it raises serotonin maybe?

Yeah, it's an MAO-A inhibitor.

Last edited:
OP
ddjd

ddjd

I'm only taking about 1-3mg so really not much at all!

Lurker

So that means it increases Serotonin?

Yes, I don't know why you would ever want this these neuro chemicals swimming around your brain any longer than necessary. Here is the Wikipedia blurb:

Monoamine oxidase A, also known as MAO-A, is an enzyme that in humans is encoded by the MAOA gene. This gene is one of two neighboring gene family members that encode mitochondrial enzymes which catalyze the oxidative deamination of amines, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.

You might try holding off the MB a few days. It seems to build up in the brain over time. Did you see the headaches right away? Did you notice any positive effects?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Yes, I don't know why you would ever want this these neuro chemicals swimming around your brain any longer than necessary. Here is the Wikipedia blurb:

You might try holding off the MB a few days. It seems to build up in the brain over time. Did you see the headaches right away? Did you notice any positive effects?
If I take it in the morning after a good sleep then I feel great from it yes. But it can often cause insomnia for me.

I don't understand why some people can take it before bed and people like me take it in the morning, just 2 drops, and can't sleep that night

Lurker

Is it increasing energy too late in the day? Seems simple enough to take it in the morning.

Arrade

Yeah just tried 1 mg right now and got a headache. Not sure how I feel about taking this supplement

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals