Can Long-term High Vitamin D Cause Weird Skull/forehead Growth?

AnonE

Background: I am a late 20s male, have been taking vitamin D supplements in the 3K to 10K range (mostly around 4K-5K) daily for the last 7 years (!) of my life.

The reasoning: one winter I was feeling particularly depressed, did some research, found out about SAD, sunlight, etc, and started supping. It worked.

It wasn't until much later that I learned about vitamin A, K2, other vitamins/minerals in general, imbalances, and most recently (~1 year ago), the ideas of RP.

However there have been weird subtle changes I've observed, and recently I even started getting some high vit D symptoms, mostly around fatigue, weird heart rhythms at night, trouble sleeping, anxiety, much poorer recovery ability from the gym vs. about a year ago. But more subtly, my hairline has 'shifted' back/up a bit (not receded as far as I can tell, I recognize the individual follicles up front) and my skull/forehead seems to protrude more 'forward' under the hairline. Honestly the skull feels more dense around the forehead. Also I have experienced forehead acne pretty much consistently throughout my 20s, even into my late 20s.

So as of today I decided to stop all vit D, save for the 800 IU in my multivitamin, though I may stop that too and change to a different one without D.

I really appreciate Peat and the forums because you learn non-conventional stuff that could be negatively impacting you that mainstream medicine/society would never tell you about. A big shift 1 year ago for me was to stop my almost nightly melatonin habit, which was a fantastic move (especially for sexual performance). The next big shift was putting sugar back into my life, which demonstrably reduced stress while increasing stress tolerance. Ditto for removing PUFAs - it almost spells "puffy" which is exactly what improved in my face when I started removing them.

Maybe vitamin D is next? I should also say that during the summers (and it is a sunny one this year) I am generally no stranger to the sun, and I realized that I still supp with D. So given my symptoms and history - D is my most consistently taken supp - I'm wondering if D is the culprit, both for recent issues and longer term patterns. If you think so -- I would love some strategies for shifting back in the right direction! I'm starting consistent vitamin A and getting back on K2 (took it for about 4 months then stopped) and staying consistent with Zinc and Mag.

Cheers!

OP
A

AnonE

I tried, doctors where I am won't do it because I'm pretty healthy and look decent, so they think it's a waste of money... Any other ideas I can try? Some "key phrases" I could tell a doc to just get it? I hate blood tests in general and not really looking for a home test =/

MigFon

Any other ideas I can try? Some "key phrases" I could tell a doc to just get it? =/

I've heard that if you go to a place where they do bloodwork and say "Hello. I would like have my Vitamin D levels tested, please.", they will test your vit D levels without a prescription. :P

That is how I do it and it's not that expensive to pay for the test yourself. :)

OP
A

AnonE

I've heard that if you go to a place where they do bloodwork and say "Hello. I would like have my Vitamin D levels tested, please.", they will test your vit D levels without a prescription. :P

That is how I do it and it's not that expensive to pay for the test yourself. :)

I tried this for my T levels a while back. Didn't work, need doctor's referral. Thanks Canada :P
(I ended up getting the test done by pretending to have "performance issues" then the doc budged lol)

Guess I'll bite the bullet and look into home testing.

raypeatclips

I tried this for my T levels a while back. Didn't work, need doctor's referral. Thanks Canada :P
(I ended up getting the test done by pretending to have "performance issues" then the doc budged lol)

Guess I'll bite the bullet and look into home testing.

Home testing isn't fun I admit, but it's not too bad. I would definitely want to know where my levels are at if I'd been supplementing that long.

REOSIRENS

High supplementation of Vitamin D can depreciate levels of vitamin A and K.... It lowers dhea potassium copper and magnesium as well and these nutrients are required to keep brain plasticity(protect from grey mass shrinkage) ... so If you take too much vitamin D you need to supplement It with other nutrients to prevent deficiency

fradon

sounds like too much. just stop the supplements for a few months at your age you should be PILL free.

the heart thing can even be calcification from excess vitamin D.

Vinero

Do you eat enough carbs? Elevated levels of growth hormone can cause weird facial growth to occur, as evidenced by bodybuilders who use growth hormone and get larger heads.
Being a fat-burner instead of a sugar-burner results in elevated growth hormone levels. Free fatty acids increase growth hormone.

OP
A

AnonE

Y
Do you eat enough carbs? Elevated levels of growth hormone can cause weird facial growth to occur, as evidenced by bodybuilders who use growth hormone and get larger heads.
Being a fat-burner instead of a sugar-burner results in elevated growth hormone levels. Free fatty acids increase growth hormone.

Carbs has been a recent (~5mo) introduction, along with trying to limit my fats to saturated.

But I definitely had many years where this wasn't the case. And over a year ago I was really into fasting and bulletproof high fat nonsense...

OP
A

AnonE

Regarding growth hormone. I distinctly remember a few years ago optimizing my weightlifting at one point to try for max GH secretion, as per some bro science and that being good for bodybuilding..

Been a consistently heavy weightlifter since late teens. And that's also something that's changed recently: even workouts of 50% length of a year ago tire me out like crazy. It's somewhat concerning. Strength is still within 5% of my max from being younger and fluctuates. But I thought I'd be stronger/more endurance.

deetto

Skull protrusion around the forehead is a sign of vitamin A deficiency. You usually see it in children's foreheads in those charity fundraising commercials for poverty in the developed world.

OP
A

AnonE

Very Interesting, could I get a source and some links to read on this? First time I've heard of this.

I've already started supping more vit A and eating carrots in addition to weekly liver. Feeling a lot better (regarding physical fatigue, weird heart stuff) since stopping vit D and major calcium intake.

Hugh Johnson

Very Interesting, could I get a source and some links to read on this? First time I've heard of this.

I've already started supping more vit A and eating carrots in addition to weekly liver. Feeling a lot better (regarding physical fatigue, weird heart stuff) since stopping vit D and major calcium intake.
Vitamin D pulls calcium from the bones. If you add large amounts calcium to high vit D supplementation, you are likely to suffer from hypercalcemia. You might want to consider getting some vitamin K2, it should help reverse the calcification of soft tissue.

baccheion

Vitamin D can raise estrogen which is associated with forehead growth?
Skull protrusion around the forehead is a sign of vitamin A deficiency. You usually see it in children's foreheads in those charity fundraising commercials for poverty in the developed world.
Does this go away once the deficiency is gone?

Im balding and my forehead bone has grown. Happens a lot to balding men and is responsible for the hair loss. your head turns into an egg. Check your prolactin.

OP
A

AnonE

Why would you mention prolactin in regards to head/skull shape abnormal growth? Are they related?

I think abnormal skull growth definitely affects hair loss. I think people with high prolactin are prone to hair loss. But I don't know if/how abnormal skull growth maps to prolactin. Would be curious to learn more.

baccheion

Im balding and my forehead bone has grown. Happens a lot to balding men and is responsible for the hair loss. your head turns into an egg. Check your prolactin.
Now is a good time to check for nutrient deficiencies. NutrEval, a comprehensive hormone panel, a thyroid panel, genetic testing, etc. If caught early enough, maybe one of the treatments will work. Topical DMSO + magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (+ MSM + silicon/monomethylsilanetriol + vitamin C internally; taper up to at least 10 g MSM 2x/day by adding 1g/week; 4:1 MSM:C), topical Lugol's iodine, nicotinic acid + vitamin C, vitamin K2 MK-4 (+ vitamin D3 + chelated/TRAACS magnesium), etc..

It's said balding is due to calcification impairing circulation (and causing increased conversion to DHT), estrogen increasing calcification, oxidation, etc..

broozer

do you have numbers? like an increase in the size of your helmet or hat? i noticed some strange head growth too. i gained 2cm circumference from mid 20s to eraly 30s. idk why. might be due to stoping finasteride, and/or supplemienting D3/sunbathing and working out. the growth appears to be mostly in length and width, especially in the ear region. and its not symmetrical, the right frontal lobe looks like protruding...just awful