Can I Really Be Hypo And Be Soo Underweight?

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Hormones' started by jayUK9779, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jayUK9779

jayUK9779 Member

Everything I read to do with being hypo is related to being overweight, I cant for the life of me put weight on!! Can I really be hypo and I am close to start thyroid meds after a 2 year decision will be posting my pulse and temps on here to see what people think as i'm not sure what is normal.

2. j.

j. Guest

Definitely.

Most of what's written and said about health is wrong.

3. OP
    jayUK9779

jayUK9779 Member

Thanks J

4. j.

j. Guest

Do you have access to Borda Barnes book hypothyroidism? He has anecdotes of hypo symptoms of low weight people. I was also reading Ray Peat's webpage today he mentioned that adrenaline, which might be high in hypothyroidism, helps burn fat.

5. jyb

jyb Member

I'm also low weight and hypo. I have a healthier weight and volume since eating sugar and protein, but prior to that I could eat any junk food, be very hypo, yet never gain any weight.

The explanation that adrenaline or stress helps burn fat seems plausible.

I also wouldn't find it surprising if one could be hypo yet have a very very in shape body. Often, I notice a discrepancy between the age conveyed by the face and the body in other people, the latter looking a lot better conserved than the latter.

6. Mittir

Mittir Member

RP mentioned in NPR interview that he has seen hypothyroid people with
    30-40 times the normal adrenaline compensating for lack of thyroid.
    In another place he mentioned that excess estrogen in some people
    can make them very active as estrogen is an excitatory hormone.
    I think this quote totally explains how low thyroid gives an impression of
    hyper metabolism.

7. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

I was doing looking up something unrelated and came across this quote on Lita Lee's website this morning.

Here's a more direct reference- from Peat

TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism

8. docall18

docall18 Member

yep, usually from a combo of hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue. This results in low cortisol, but high adrenaline, nor-ephedrine etc..

9. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

docall18, :welcome

Interesting about the low cortisol, high adrenaline causing some to be underweight.

10. jeffreywp

jeffreywp Member

So what do you do about this? Haven't had my cortisol levels checked but my cholesterol is low (working on bringing that up using sugar) so I can't take thyroid yet.

11. pboy

pboy Member

yea man its absolutely possible...as a vegan I didn't realize but after 2 years I had lost around 20 or a little more pounds...keep in mind I was thin to begin with. I didn't even notice because I didn't have a scale but I could tell slowly the vitality was lowering. I was eating brazil nuts, enough protein, seaweed (iodine) and getting all the nutrients, but my average calorie intake was probably 1700 - 2300 calories, and I was pretty active most days throughout the whole day. Once it became winter it really hit me and things became more noticeable and real...the first thing to go was digestion, no constipation, but kind of the opposite...seemed like nothing digested very well, not even fruit juice, and it have to go to the bathroom constantly all day. After a while I added in dairy and eggs...lots of stuff happenening in there, and it wasn't fun most of the time, I quickly stopped eating eggs, but with dairy alone, an abundance of calories, sugar, even alcohol at the time just for calorie sake but looking back and now I wouldn't recommened it...there are better ways, it might have actually impeded progress. Just eat like 1000-1500 more calories than you need a day, a lot of cream/butter/ghee and go from there...of course on top of a balanced else nutrition plan. Its probably not a good idea to eat a lot of meat...it slows and changes digestion too much and could interfere with the rate of flow you need to really recover, if anything just once every now and then, and don't eat too many of any foods with lots of liquid oil or fiber, those can also slow digestion and ruin the rate of flow, the gut ease, you might need to build...so not nuts, beans, too many veg, stuff like that...no fiber supplement, id even hold off on carrots for a bit, maybe 1 a day